Offline Tron

• View Profile
An Idea for the flat earth cover-up
« on: February 09, 2021, 01:03:15 AM »
Hey Guys,

I have an advanced theory of why people at high levels of government may have intentionally hid the true shape of the earth.

First, I'm aware that the spherical earth model has existed as early as 600BC from the Greeks and the Hebrews and Romans adopted it Around 300Bce.  Since then it seems to have been a popular model in Europe whose influence eventually spread to America. 

Now, what I'm proposing is that flat earth ideas have existed before, during, and after this period but as you know they are rarely spoken of.  I'm of the belief that Flat Earth beliefs are associated with governance, animal life, and even god.  I kind of agree actually and my own version of a flat earth map I was going to call the "Animal Kingdom Map".  But anyway, its kind of true.  If you look at the iconology of all major governments they always have  pictures of Animals as national symbols of character. 

Why I think these kind of scientific beliefs were surppressed, stems from WW2 and peoples general lack of trust in government institutions.
From the surface Earth looks flat.  From space Earth looks round.  Now what?

Offline jimster

• View Profile
Re: An Idea for the flat earth cover-up
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 08:04:07 PM »
I think you should publish your flat earth map, if the directions and distances are correct with constant scale. Many FE maps have been made, but all have problems with direction and distance. All the FAQ maps have Australia wider than USA and other problems.

I think you are on the right track in trying to finally produce a FE map with correct disance, direction, and constant scale.

If you use google maps/gps/whatever for the directions and distances, just draw the map. If the earth is flat, you should be able to scale the distances and easily make a FE map.

If you think google maps/gps/whatever is secretly controlled by a conspiracy and the info is not true, then I guess you will have to get a measuring tape and compass (?) and start personally getting the required data.

Or perhaps that is not practical for you, and you are permanently stuck without a map, knowing nothing about it except the earth is not round.

I hope you can make the FE map with correct distance, direction, and constant scale. Looking forward to you publishing it.
I am really curious about so many FE things, like how at sunset in Denver, people in St Louis see the dome as dark with stars, while people in Salt Lake City see the same dome as light blue. FE scientists don't know or won't tell me.

Offline Tron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 07:59:54 AM »
Thanks Jimster, I'm working on it!
From the surface Earth looks flat.  From space Earth looks round.  Now what?

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 11:47:43 AM »
I think you should publish your flat earth map, if the directions and distances are correct with constant scale. Many FE maps have been made, but all have problems with direction and distance.
Every map ever used by anyone on the face of the planet has been flat and the people using them have had great success.
To be honest I am getting pretty bored of this place.

Offline JSS

• Math is math!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 12:16:35 PM »
I think you should publish your flat earth map, if the directions and distances are correct with constant scale. Many FE maps have been made, but all have problems with direction and distance.
Every map ever used by anyone on the face of the planet has been flat and the people using them have had great success.

According to the dictionary you are wrong.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/globe

1. Usually the globe . the planet Earth.
2. a planet or other celestial body.
3. a sphere on which is depicted a map of the earth (terrestrial globe ) or of the heavens (celestial globe ).

Maps do not have to be flat.  You can buy one here if you want proof that they actually exist.

"Replogle Odessa - Blue Ocean 2-Way Map, Illuminated World Globe, Raised Relief, Up-to-Date Cartography, Made in USA"

https://www.amazon.com/Replogle-85391-Odessa-World-Globe/dp/B06WWMYRNK/

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 02:18:16 PM »
I wonder, do you actually not understand Action80's point here?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline JSS

• Math is math!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 02:42:49 PM »
I wonder, do you actually not understand Action80's point here?

He said "Every map ever used by anyone on the face of the planet has been flat" which I took to mean that all maps ever used have been flat, which I do not believe is the case.

If I'm missing the point, perhaps you could explain it to me?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 02:56:30 PM »
If I'm missing the point, perhaps you could explain it to me?
It's really quite bland - for most practical purposes, other than illustrating the RET model currently considered as factual, people tend not to use globes.

Yes, he used a little bit of hyperbole, but this really isn't worth splitting hairs over (especially by pointing people to dictionaries, even after it was explained to you why that doesn't work, and especially by pointing to terrible "dictionaries").

It's really hard to believe that you're not being disingenuous here, and if you are, then naturally you shouldn't be posting here.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 02:59:14 PM by Pete Svarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Peter Winfield

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 07:02:13 PM »

We are talking about a single map of the whole Earth, not partial maps.

Offline jimster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 08:55:34 PM »
Maps of small areas have minor inaccuracies, close enough for practical use. Maps of the entire world that are flat exist in many forms, mercator projection, etc. None can be continuous with correct direction, distance, and constant scale. They are still useful for things that do not require precision.

What you can't do is make a map of the entire world with correct distance, direction, and constant scale. If you have one, please show us.

If the earth is flat, it should be a simple matter to take the distances, scale them, and draw the map on a flat sheet of paper. There are several attempts to do this in the FAQ. All of them show Australia as wider than US.

As for the cover up, interested to hear your idea, but it is not clear from the OP. Not clear what the connection is from animal icon to suppression of FE. You gave a reason as distrust of govt. That is not a reason to cover, that is a reason why people believe FE.

Suppose I am a govt official who knows the earth is flat. Why would I cover it up?

Why do governments cover up flat earth?
I am really curious about so many FE things, like how at sunset in Denver, people in St Louis see the dome as dark with stars, while people in Salt Lake City see the same dome as light blue. FE scientists don't know or won't tell me.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 09:09:04 PM »
I don't believe that they're covering up FE. I believe that they have a bunch of fudges and fakery designed to pretend that they have international nuclear deterrence when they don't.

In regards to distances and a true map of the earth, that one is difficult to determine since planes adjust their path to find the quickest winds between any two points, which may be faster in one region than another. There are clearly multiple variables at play in that one - https://wiki.tfes.org/Issues_in_Flight_Analysis

Offline Dr Van Nostrand

• There may be something to this 'Matrix' stuff...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2021, 09:45:20 PM »
I don't believe that they're covering up FE. I believe that they have a bunch of fudges and fakery designed to pretend that they have international nuclear deterrence when they don't.

In regards to distances and a true map of the earth, that one is difficult to determine since planes adjust their path to find the quickest winds between any two points, which may be faster in one region than another. There are clearly multiple variables at play in that one - https://wiki.tfes.org/Issues_in_Flight_Analysis

So, do we know the distance across the North American continent and the distance across the Australian continent?
Round Earther patiently looking for a better deal...

If the world is flat, it means that I have been deceived by a global, multi-generational conspiracy spending trillions of dollars over hundreds of years.
If the world is round, it means that you’re just an idiot who believes stupid crap on the internet.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2021, 10:09:33 PM »

Why would they have to do that to pretend to have a nuclear deterrence? ICBMs would presumably work just as well on a flat earth? Also, rockets aren't the only delivery mechanism for nukes. Bombs from planes work pretty well too. A globe is not required to have a nuclear arsenal.

I don't think planes are the only things that travel great distances. I've driven across the US roundtrip two times and my road atlas and odometer were absolutely in simpatico. This one even has Canada mapped out:

Rand McNally 2021 Road Atlas (Rand Mcnally Road Atlas: United States, Canada, Mexico)

Are you saying that winds make long distance car/truck travel distances inaccurate? Trucking accounts for the vast majority of freight in America, with trucks carrying almost 71% of the tonnage moved about the country - I'm sure the Teamsters would disagree with you. Time & Fuel = Money. Accuracy in shipping costs hits the bottomline. We have an extremely accurate handle on distances otherwise it would be mayhem. And it is not.

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2021, 12:29:53 PM »

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/globe

1. Usually the globe . the planet Earth.
2. a planet or other celestial body.
3. a sphere on which is depicted a map of the earth (terrestrial globe ) or of the heavens (celestial globe ).

Maps do not have to be flat.  You can buy one here if you want proof that they actually exist.

"Replogle Odessa - Blue Ocean 2-Way Map, Illuminated World Globe, Raised Relief, Up-to-Date Cartography, Made in USA"

https://www.amazon.com/Replogle-85391-Odessa-World-Globe/dp/B06WWMYRNK/
A globe is not a map.

No one uses a globe to navigate.

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2021, 12:34:24 PM »

We are talking about a single map of the whole Earth, not partial maps.
I could use a single map of the entire earth if I needed to and find my way to wherever and be just fine.

But we do not do that, as we can only physically occupy one space at one point in time.

Offline Dr Van Nostrand

• There may be something to this 'Matrix' stuff...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2021, 12:59:18 PM »

I could use a single map of the entire earth if I needed to and find my way to wherever and be just fine.

But we do not do that, as we can only physically occupy one space at one point in time.

Again, what does your map tell us about the size of North America and size of Australia. How long it would take to drive across Australia?
Round Earther patiently looking for a better deal...

If the world is flat, it means that I have been deceived by a global, multi-generational conspiracy spending trillions of dollars over hundreds of years.
If the world is round, it means that you’re just an idiot who believes stupid crap on the internet.

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2021, 01:29:11 PM »

Again, what does your map tell us about the size of North America and size of Australia. How long it would take to drive across Australia?
I cannot determine your interpretations of anything you view.

I can state for certain that every map I have ever used has been both flat and accurate.

Peter Winfield

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2021, 01:31:33 PM »

No such map exists. There is no map of the entire flat Earth.

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2021, 01:32:24 PM »

No such map exists. There is no map of the entire flat Earth.
If the map is flat and it shows the entire earth, it is a flat earth map.

Peter Winfield

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2021, 01:40:27 PM »
If the map is flat and it shows the entire earth, it is a flat earth map.

It is a flat map of the Earth, not a map of the flat Earth.

There is no map of the entire flat Earth.