Offline RJDO

• View Profile
Great Circle Sailing/ Mercator Sailing
« on: November 14, 2017, 01:21:17 PM »
I have read several post about using aircraft as proof that Flat Earth is possible, by using inaccurate GPS measurements.

What about Sailing Vessels using Great Circle Sailing and Mercator Sailing? I have seen, did the measurements and math for sailing, and have seen accurate results with both time and fuel consumption. Great Circle sailing occurs on the Earth, not in the sky, and has been done so far a very long time. Without going to far into depth of the math, traveling a straight line on the round earth requires an actual path that is curved on a "flat map" and one would expect the opposite to be true in the flat earth theory.

Proof: I will arrive at proper destination using a curved line. (say from Norfolk, VA to Rota, Spain)

Please help explain this issue.

RJ

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
Re: Great Circle Sailing/ Mercator Sailing
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 08:53:04 PM »
I have read several post about using aircraft as proof that Flat Earth is possible, by using inaccurate GPS measurements.

What about Sailing Vessels using Great Circle Sailing and Mercator Sailing? I have seen, did the measurements and math for sailing, and have seen accurate results with both time and fuel consumption. Great Circle sailing occurs on the Earth, not in the sky, and has been done so far a very long time. Without going to far into depth of the math, traveling a straight line on the round earth requires an actual path that is curved on a "flat map" and one would expect the opposite to be true in the flat earth theory.

Proof: I will arrive at proper destination using a curved line. (say from Norfolk, VA to Rota, Spain)

Please help explain this issue.

RJ

I've heard some FE'ers claim that you should go the "direct" way (according to their map) and save some time - but that people don't do that because they've been told that the great circle route would be quicker.

I can't begin to explain how crazy that is!

However, they can't really prove it because they'll tell you that they don't know what their map looks like...so they can't tell you which way this hypothetical shorter route is.
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?