Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 US Presidential Race
« Reply #1840 on: November 24, 2016, 05:30:14 AM »
I'm black and I voted for President Trump. Take that, SJWs!

You really showed them.

Thank you.

So how are you enjoying Trump backing off on most of his promises so far?

I wouldn't say most. As far as his main promise about locking up Hillary, all he said was he isn't going to pursue it. That doesn't mean he'll appoint a FBI director that will.
Correct.  That does not mean he will.
He will not appoint an FBI director that will.
Because he'd have to force the current one to resign first.
And he won't persue the clintons.  They're good people.

If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Rama Set

« Reply #1842 on: November 24, 2016, 02:36:00 PM »
I wouldn't say most. As far as his main promise about locking up Hillary, all he said was he isn't going to pursue it. That doesn't mean he'll appoint a FBI director that will.

How do you figure that was his main promise?  As far as I or most people are concerned, the Mexican wall, the scrapping of Obamacare and the tearing up of NAFTA were more prominent platform promises... all of which he has backed off on or has indicated they will be scaled back.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: November 24, 2016, 06:51:45 PM »

You probably think George Soros is a philanthropist too, huh?

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: November 24, 2016, 07:42:44 PM »

You probably think George Soros is a philanthropist too, huh?
No, I'm quoting Donald Trump.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #1845 on: November 24, 2016, 09:16:04 PM »

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: November 24, 2016, 10:23:56 PM »
I'm quoting Donald Trump.

Irrelevant
That's the whole point of the statement.  So it's totally relevant.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: November 25, 2016, 06:05:29 AM »
I'm quoting Donald Trump.

Irrelevant
That's the whole point of the statement.  So it's totally relevant.

Incorrect.

« Reply #1848 on: November 25, 2016, 06:22:58 AM »
The moment he takes office expect a fire in the pentagon, attributed to a Democratic, Mexican Muslim, pro-abortion gun snatching terrorist organisation, followed by the Pentagon fire decree suspending all personal freedom.

You mean 9/11?
 ;D ;D ;D

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot_Act

Rama Set

« Reply #1849 on: November 25, 2016, 03:55:26 PM »

Offline Dionysios

• View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: November 26, 2016, 09:52:24 PM »
Coming from Trump, I would take the epithet "brutal dictator" as a compliment.

God bless Fidel Castro Ruz
& have mercy on his soul.

I'm critical of Obama as well, but I believe in giving credit where it's due. The  rapprochement with Cuba was one of the more honourable things he did as the U.S. has been a tyranny against Cuba and others for over a hundred years.

« Reply #1851 on: November 29, 2016, 01:38:56 PM »
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

George

« Reply #1852 on: November 30, 2016, 02:12:52 AM »

Texas v. Johnson and Afroyim v. Rusk are landmark Supreme Court cases.  The President of the United States should know this.

I feel like I'm going to be saying that last line a lot over the next four years.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: November 30, 2016, 12:40:27 PM »
The President of the United States should know this.

I feel like I'm going to be saying that last line a lot over the next four years.
"POTUS cannot have opinions on how things should be if they contradict how things currently are."

Top quality sadaam 10/10 bet you said that a lot about Obama too.

In less retarded news, Trump continues to prepare for his job just as expected:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38155141

Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #1854 on: November 30, 2016, 02:26:40 PM »
"POTUS cannot have opinions on how things should be if they contradict how things currently are."

genuine curiosity: for those of us miffed by the "flag burners should be arrested" tweet that george refers to, do you think this is what we're upset about?  like, if i asked you to describe as best as possible what troubles people about that tweet, is this what you'd come up with?

e: not meant to sound as backhanded as it does. real q.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 02:36:52 PM by garygreen »
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: November 30, 2016, 03:18:06 PM »
In less retarded news, Trump continues to prepare for his job just as expected:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38155141

Good.
Let's see if he just gives it to his kids to run, which is only a small step away. 

Offline Jura-Glenlivet

• Life is meaningless & everything dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: November 30, 2016, 03:44:27 PM »

genuine curiosity: for those of us miffed by the "flag burners should be arrested" tweet that george refers to, do you think this is what we're upset about?  like, if i asked you to describe as best as possible what troubles people about that tweet, is this what you'd come up with?

The only reason I can think of why he wants to make such a law, is that he has just cornered the rights to export bits of coloured rag to the middle east/pretty much anywhere, as soon as it becomes illegal to deface it in the US it will become (even more) the du-rigueur thing to do at all parties and public gatherings out there.
Just to be clear, you are all terrific, but everything you say is exactly what a moron would say.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: November 30, 2016, 04:11:21 PM »

[Same disclaimer about being genuine and not trying to be snarky applies to all of this post]

Tbh I have no idea what people are upset about. Donald Trump's Twitter feed is not an accurate depiction of his policy proposals and actions as president-elect. I'm sure that's not a controversial proposal. Looking at a small section of responses to the tweet itself, people seem to be angry because what Trump said, if turned into actual law, would violate the Bill of Rights. From my point of view, there's nothing to be upset about. He's welcome to his personal opinion, and if he tries to influence the law in this direction (unlikely imo), he'll get stuck in a short legal fight after which he'll be told to shove it.

That's not to say you can't or shouldn't be upset. I was specifically responding to Saddam's mentality. The idea that "Trump should know that there's a legal precedent for this, ergo he shouldn't be tweeting about it!" is extremely silly.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: November 30, 2016, 04:17:41 PM »

The only reason I can think of why he wants to make such a law, is that he has just cornered the rights to export bits of coloured rag to the middle east/pretty much anywhere, as soon as it becomes illegal to deface it in the US it will become (even more) the du-rigueur thing to do at all parties and public gatherings out there.

Nah, its a simple tweet to keep his base barking at something.  If you don't keep them occupied and energized behind you, they start to wander away.

This just something he can tweet that's easy to not do, energizes his base, and leaves him with nothing lost by saying it.

[Same disclaimer about being genuine and not trying to be snarky applies to all of this post]

Tbh I have no idea what people are upset about. Donald Trump's Twitter feed is not an accurate depiction of his policy proposals and actions as president-elect. I'm sure that's not a controversial proposal. Looking at a small section of responses to the tweet itself, people seem to be angry because what Trump said, if turned into actual law, would violate the Bill of Rights. From my point of view, there's nothing to be upset about. He's welcome to his personal opinion, and if he tries to influence the law in this direction (unlikely imo), he'll get stuck in a short legal fight after which he'll be told to shove it.

That's not to say you can't or shouldn't be upset. I was specifically responding to Saddam's mentality. The idea that "Trump should know that there's a legal precedent for this, ergo he shouldn't be tweeting about it!" is extremely silly.

I'm upset not because I think he'll be able to do it, but because its an empty "I'm awesome, praise me for being anti-freedom!" Message.
The president (or president elect) is a very powerful person.  His words can shape the world yet he throws them around like a troll.
He is literally trolling America.  (Saying something to get a reaction out of people) What happens when he  tweets something that upsets someone as thin skinned and powerful as him?

« Reply #1859 on: November 30, 2016, 06:12:51 PM »
[...]what Trump said, if turned into actual law, would violate the Bill of Rights. From my point of view, there's nothing to be upset about. He's welcome to his personal opinion, and if he tries to influence the law in this direction (unlikely imo), he'll get stuck in a short legal fight after which he'll be told to shove it.

totally agree.

i can see what you mean.  and personally i'm on the side of 'let's reserve our criticisms for policy proposals, not personality traits and tweets.'  not that i follow my own advice all the time, but i agree with the principle.

that said, i'm also in the camp of taking all politicians both literally, and seriously.  the transparency of the state is very important to me, and that extends to the politicians themselves.  i'm troubled that he might genuinely believe in such a policy, and i'm equally troubled that i don't know if he does or not.

and if he does believe in such a policy, then i think that's troubling in its own right.  sure, he may not be able to roll back free speech in cases like flag burning that are already well-settled.  but not all of our rights are so clearly delineated (privacy comes to mind), and if his attitude toward individual rights are so draconian in this instance (even if he can't actualize them), then i kinda shudder to think what his attitude will be on the rights issues he can affect.