Online juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: REQUEST FOR COMMENTS: Reunification Proposal
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2014, 03:03:53 AM »

That strongly depends on the nature of the friction. I feel that it's entirely too early to worry about that. He's giving us full control of the reunified forum. He's putting himself in a position where retaking that control would be a tall order.

Daniel and Wilmore proposed that they should only have an advisory function on the forum. They've literally deprived themselves of having a say in how the forum runs.

I'd say that alleviates my primary concern. If he's sincere in that regard then there's nothing to worry about. I understand Thork's position, but in the case you've laid out, it won't be any different than the current situation, we will just have moar noobs. Nobody is doing merchandising here now and the ZC hasn't done anything, so those don't qualify as concerns to me

Ghost of V

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2014, 03:17:42 AM »
I also do not see a need for the ZC. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2014, 03:23:05 AM »
I agree with Thork. Things are going fine here, and I don't see a need to change that. We've never been as close knit of a community as this past year.
Agreed.

I don't feel particularly strong one way or the other, but if the forum community changes too much then I might really hate it. This place feels more supportive and comfortable than the other site ever did.

And:
I'm still not even sure what it does or why it's necessary. It just seems like a weird, political, Thork (did he even come up with it? it seems like something he would) brainchild with no real purpose.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2014, 03:24:49 AM »
To keep the discussion on topic: the ZC is something that would be considered after the reunification. The proposal already includes the option of the community deeming it unnecessary.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2014, 03:25:16 AM »
From what I can tell, it's a holdover from the past that exists just because.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2014, 04:53:06 AM »
A few people have voiced concerns about wanting to preserve the community we have here.  While I share their sense of loyalty and camaraderie, the sad fact is that no community ever stays entirely consistent over a prolonged period of time.  I've been a member of FES for almost eight years now, and I've seen the core group of "regulars" go through dramatic changes in membership several times since then.  It goes without saying that very few of us from back then are still around now.  What I'm getting at here is that because members quit, we need to be able to replace them, for lack of a better word, with new ones.  And it's there that this website struggles, because we simply aren't getting any new members beyond fleeting angry noobs.  There's just too much competition with Daniel's site, which is of course the one that's gotten all the mainstream media attention and therefore the bulk of the traffic.  We'll be the ones getting that traffic if we merge, and given the capable leadership we have here, we might very well be able to turn it into something far greater than Daniel ever did.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2014, 08:25:51 AM »
From what I can tell, it's a holdover from the past that exists just because.

Not entirely. Its inclusion in the proposal arose out of concerns raised in the other thread, beginning here.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Thork

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2014, 02:22:41 PM »
No one seems to have commented on Daniel's running of all the merch. A task he has failed at repeatedly and as mentioned is a source of major embarrassment. Can't we make 3rd partying it a part of the negotiation? He obviously finds it a chore anyway, which is why he does it so infrequently.

I hate it that someone who puts so little in, is leader forever. I don't think I'm going to win that argument. I just think its wrong that someone who hasn't bothered with the society since its first year still runs it 9 years later. How do you ever get rid of such a person? The only answer we found was to go elsewhere.

Thork

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2014, 02:32:53 PM »
The ZC was ill thought out. We had 5 people with very little power to do anything on it.

It should have had Parsifal who ran the website, PP who ran the forums and wiki, someone who did merch and membership, a press-officer and a social media person.
Between the 5 of them, they could have actually got stuff done. What could Tom Bishop or I do? We had no actual power to improve anything.

I think at its inception everyone was a little frightened of how PP and Parsifal might run the place. We had left a place where there was zero trust. Trust is actually something we have here now. and it took a long time to build and is likely the reason people feel the society has a good feeling about it over here. Going back and putting Daniel in charge of things will vaporise that. If we have another ZC or similar in the future, people should be elected into positions. Not just on a board of talking heads.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2014, 02:45:04 PM »
The ZC was ill thought out. We had 5 people with very little power to do anything on it.

It should have had Parsifal who ran the website, PP who ran the forums and wiki, someone who did merch and membership, a press-officer and a social media person.
Between the 5 of them, they could have actually got stuff done. What could Tom Bishop or I do? We had no actual power to improve anything.

I think at its inception everyone was a little frightened of how PP and Parsifal might run the place. We had left a place where there was zero trust. Trust is actually something we have here now. and it took a long time to build and is likely the reason people feel the society has a good feeling about it over here. Going back and putting Daniel in charge of things will vaporise that. If we have another ZC or similar in the future, people should be elected into positions. Not just on a board of talking heads.

If you'd like to discuss why all of this is completely wrong, feel free to create a new thread. Either way, please stop derailing this one with your opinions about what we should have done a year ago. This thread is about the future, not the past.

Thork

« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2014, 02:51:15 PM »
please stop derailing this one with your opinions

Everyone's input is welcome.

This thread is about the future, not the past.

If we have another ZC or similar in the future ...

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2014, 02:54:29 PM »
Thork, stop. I've already explained why ZC is off-topic. We appreciate input from everyone, including hard-liners such as yourself, but even you are expected to play by the rules.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2014, 03:00:05 PM »
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2014, 04:44:28 PM »
The only problem I have is that I like this site's theme and logo infinitely more than the old site's.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2014, 04:50:11 PM »
The only problem I have is that I like this site's theme and logo infinitely more than the old site's.

The themes are identical, aside from the small improvements we've made since the split. Are you referring to the board read/unread icons, which are derived from each board's logo?

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2014, 05:02:27 PM »
The themes are identical, aside from the small improvements we've made since the split. Are you referring to the board read/unread icons, which are derived from each board's logo?

Hmm, I thought I remembered the other site having a stark white background. Anyway I guess just the logo then, not the theme.

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2014, 06:50:46 PM »

This place feels more supportive and comfortable than the other site ever did.

I would attribute that entirely to PP and Parsifal. With them in charge of the forum, we get frequent updates, improvements, and great communication. Not much would change forum-wise. All it means is moar noobs, as far as I can tell. I'm all for that.

Count me in!
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2014, 06:56:42 PM »
I suppose we'll be keeping our current post count and whatnot. Is there any way to merge my account from the other forum with this one? If not, it's not a big deal, but it would be cool if that was possible.
What of post counts and e-peens and other such things. [emoji14]
We hope to merge everything we can. Assuming we overcome potential technical difficulties (which I'm confident we can do), we should be able to merge people's accounts from both forums, preserving their posts, post counts, etc.
Are you going to do this on an individual-by-individual basis, or based on usernames (or something else)?
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2014, 08:59:54 PM »
Are you going to do this on an individual-by-individual basis, or based on usernames (or something else)?
We will most likely ask people to tell us which accounts they'd like merged closer to the date. A brief look at what's possible suggests that we should be able to merge existing accounts as well as attribute posts from deleted accounts to users (e.g. Thork's old posts). But, of course, we won't do anything people wouldn't want, so an individual basis sounds safest.

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2014, 10:08:38 PM »
I agree with Thork. Things are going fine here, and I don't see a need to change that. We've never been as close knit of a community as this past year.
Nor have you ever talked so little of FET.
God is real.