Flat Earth alternative to a globe
« on: February 09, 2019, 06:15:33 PM »
I'd like to carve a Flat Earth map into wood, showing the continents and the mountains rising in 3D from a flat disk, following the standard monopole Flat Earth map. There have been Flat Earth maps for a long time, but this would be a Flat Earth alternative to a globe.

Add a comment if you're interested, and I'll create a computer mock-up of how it would look. It'd be a great thing to have to show others the Flat Earth view of the world!

Image by Daniel R. Strebe CC-BY-SA 3.0

Offline stack

• View Profile
Re: Flat Earth alternative to a globe
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 11:58:46 PM »
I'm more partial to this version as it distorts the southern hemiplane continents less:

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 06:25:27 PM »
These are not FE maps, there are no resources to produce them, so we are told.

They are projections of the globe earth.

Dual1ty

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2023, 01:15:16 PM »
I'm more partial to this version as it distorts the southern hemiplane continents less:

I don't know how you found this, but I actually love it. It's a lot closer to reality than the AE map, that's for sure.

Offline Everette Graham

• Amateur Astrophotographer
    • View Profile
    • Graham Astro
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2023, 08:34:28 AM »

Remember, for it to be an accurate representation of reality, you should have a distance scale and the map should have 0 distortion.  ;)
"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Dual1ty

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2023, 09:01:56 AM »

Remember, for it to be an accurate representation of reality, you should have a distance scale and the map should have 0 distortion.  ;)

Not really because that one represents a certain degree of accuracy and it's not a map per se, but we're getting there. ;)

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2023, 07:59:22 AM »
I don't know how you found this, but I actually love it. It's a lot closer to reality than the AE map, that's for sure.
The Santiago to Sydney flight path would be a bit of a problem on that map.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2023, 05:58:15 AM »
The globe distorts the shape of the world the least.

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2023, 03:45:24 PM »
The globe distorts the shape of the world the least.

If by that you mean a 2D picture of a globe, then I agree. An actual globe gives zero distortion.