Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: The saga of Cliven Bundy
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2014, 05:54:57 PM »
Doing nothing is political suicide.
It's not, because no one's doing anything. Hypothetical politician John Q. Conformist takes the exact same reputation hit as everyone else, i.e. no relative reputation hit.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2014, 06:22:46 PM »
Doing nothing is political suicide.
It's not, because no one's doing anything. Hypothetical politician John Q. Conformist takes the exact same reputation hit as everyone else, i.e. no relative reputation hit.

I wouldn't vote for a government who allowed this to go on. No matter what side of the political spectrum they were on.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2014, 06:23:39 PM »
I wouldn't vote for a government who allowed this to go on. No matter what side of the political spectrum they were on.
Neither would I. Unfortunately, people like us are in the minority, and populism continues to be a popular and efficient approach.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2014, 06:27:19 PM »
Honestly, it just seems like no one is taking Bundy or his militia very seriously right now. Horsford is trying to disband it because the local economy is taking a hit, but the cogs are turning slowly. I wonder how it will play out. Maybe someone will eventually stop it, but it just takes awhile to get to that point.

But I'm really disappointed in the inaction and I would think the locals would be getting really fed up with it. The officials would not be in the wrong at all for stopping it - which is why I don't think it would be political suicide for anyone. The Libertarians would be upset, but they're always upset with government anyway.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2014, 06:40:29 PM »
Hopefully, he will soon become irrelevant enough for it not to be risky (from a PR standpoint) to deal with him.

rooster, I generally agree with you. The problem is that it might be political suicide if a big enough news station abuses their thesaurus hard enough. The very possibility is probably quite frightening to politicians.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2014, 06:48:13 PM »
I can't see any way for the government to quickly resolve this situation that doesn't involve them slaughtering the militia.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2014, 06:54:48 PM »
The very possibility is probably quite frightening to politicians.
That I can definitely understand. It's been a long time since anything like this happened.

I can't see any way for the government to quickly resolve this situation that doesn't involve them slaughtering the militia.
George Washington would have done it.

President Washington, confronted with what appeared to be an armed insurrection in western Pennsylvania, proceeded cautiously. Although determined to maintain government authority, he did not want to alienate public opinion. He asked his cabinet for written opinions about how to deal with the crisis. The cabinet recommended the use of force, except for Secretary of State Edmund Randolph, who urged reconciliation. Washington did both: he sent commissioners to meet with the rebels while raising a militia army. Washington privately doubted the commissioners could accomplish anything, and believed a military expedition would be needed to suppress further violence
The Washington administration's suppression of the Whiskey Rebellion met with widespread popular approval. The episode demonstrated the new national government had the willingness and ability to suppress violent resistance to its laws. It was therefore viewed by the Washington administration as a success, a view that has generally been endorsed by historians

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2014, 07:39:13 PM »
The very possibility is probably quite frightening to politicians.
That I can definitely understand. It's been a long time since anything like this happened.

George Washington would have done it.

President Washington, confronted with what appeared to be an armed insurrection in western Pennsylvania, proceeded cautiously. Although determined to maintain government authority, he did not want to alienate public opinion. He asked his cabinet for written opinions about how to deal with the crisis. The cabinet recommended the use of force, except for Secretary of State Edmund Randolph, who urged reconciliation. Washington did both: he sent commissioners to meet with the rebels while raising a militia army. Washington privately doubted the commissioners could accomplish anything, and believed a military expedition would be needed to suppress further violence
The Washington administration's suppression of the Whiskey Rebellion met with widespread popular approval. The episode demonstrated the new national government had the willingness and ability to suppress violent resistance to its laws. It was therefore viewed by the Washington administration as a success, a view that has generally been endorsed by historians
The irony would be lost by cliven Bundy.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2014, 03:28:45 AM »
The saga continues:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/las-vegas/bundy-sued-after-car-hits-cow-i-15

He said it is the state’s job to maintain the fence that keeps his livestock off the interstate.

“It’s a state problem. It’s not our problem,” Bundy said. “We really feel bad when it happens. We sure don’t want it to happen. But we’re not liable.”

lol

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 24, 2015, 04:36:44 AM »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 24, 2015, 10:08:13 AM »
Cliven Bundy has been out of major headlines for quite some time now.  I wonder if all his protection has left already or if the media just doesn't care?

And what happened with the grazing fees?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 03, 2016, 03:31:05 PM »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 03, 2016, 06:01:08 PM »
I saw.
I'm iffy on it. 

On one hand, what they're doing is dangerous and stupid.  On the other hand, the judge made the sentencing mistake.  He shoukdn't have to pay for that.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 03, 2016, 07:33:49 PM »
I'm just enjoying people who don't understand what terrorism is decrying it a terrorist attack.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 03, 2016, 10:36:53 PM »
I'm just enjoying people who don't understand what terrorism is decrying it a terrorist attack.

Well, they are scared so its kinda unntentional terrorism?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 04, 2016, 12:03:39 AM »
Of course not. They aren't exercising violence - they are merely occupying a property. They didn't pick a target which would incite fear in the masses - on the contrary, they went for a secluded wildlife refuge. If they are terrorists, then so is Occupy Wall Street or Black Lives Matter's more peaceful protesters1. They are also not trying to achieve a political goal. They do not want a law introduced or repealed, they are standing their ground against a decision they perceive to be unjust.

Are they reasonable? No. Are they terrorists? Also no.

1 - I am, of course, ignoring the less peaceful "protests" in which they decided that burning down half of their own town is a good idea.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 12:06:05 AM by SexWarrior »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2016, 09:27:16 AM »
Point.

Now, do you thinj their reasons  are justified?

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #99 on: January 04, 2016, 04:53:31 PM »
They are also not trying to achieve a political goal. They do not want a law introduced or repealed, they are standing their ground against a decision they perceive to be unjust.

The article says that they want to get the Hammonds released and the federal government to turn over its land to local ranchers and loggers.  I wouldn't call these guys terrorists either, but their goals are definitely political ones.