Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: The saga of Cliven Bundy
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2014, 10:21:35 PM »
So if they stop you you just have have to say you're here for the militia.

Yeah, but then you have to wear the company-issued, ragged camo pants and chew tobacco.  Oh, and drink Keystone Ice.  That was the deal breaker for me.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2014, 10:37:09 PM »
In any other country this would be terrorism but here its patriotism to half the country.

Worse yet, no one can do a thing about it without committing political suicide. 
I don't follow your reasoning. How is it political suicide to stop terrorists? Stopping a redneck brigade is not going to cause political suicide as even a lot of Republicans have backed away from supporting Bundy. This is just getting ridiculous.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2014, 10:52:14 PM »
In any other country this would be terrorism but here its patriotism to half the country.

Worse yet, no one can do a thing about it without committing political suicide. 
I don't follow your reasoning. How is it political suicide to stop terrorists? Stopping a redneck brigade is not going to cause political suicide as even a lot of Republicans have backed away from supporting Bundy. This is just getting ridiculous.
Because they aren't seen as terrorists.  They're seen as patriots to enough people to tip the media scales against whoever orders the takedown. (And Obama)

And the Republicans would be all over that even though they did back away. 
If the republicans did it, other republicans would seize the opportunity to call them traitors to freedom.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2014, 11:42:49 PM »
I really doubt it. Regardless of sentiment, this is still not a libertarian or anarchist country.   

You can think whatever you want but if half the country supported this then there would have already been a revolution.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2014, 01:00:14 AM »
Arresting Bundy wouldn't be political suicide.  Gunning down his redneck army Waco-style, however, would be.

My guess is that the government is just going to wait until the excitement dies down, and deal with him then.  In a few months or so, provided that Harry Reid shuts his fucking mouth and stops provoking more unrest, they'll be able to quietly arrest Bundy.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2014, 02:19:13 AM »
Arresting Bundy wouldn't be political suicide.  Gunning down his redneck army Waco-style, however, would be.

My guess is that the government is just going to wait until the excitement dies down, and deal with him then.  In a few months or so, provided that Harry Reid shuts his fucking mouth and stops provoking more unrest, they'll be able to quietly arrest Bundy.
I figure they're the same thing.
The man seems intent on defending himself and I believe he would go down shooting before allowing himself to be arrested.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2014, 02:57:08 AM »
If they try to arrest him and he starts shooting then it's definitely not political suicide to shoot back.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2014, 03:32:39 AM »
If they try to arrest him and he starts shooting then it's definitely not political suicide to shoot back.

"Cliven Bundy is dead.  Shot while defending his home, Cliven Bundy and 4 other members of his militia group were killed by SWAT teams from the local county's office.  Sources say that the SWAT team entered the house at 10:05am after repeated attempts to get Mr. Bundy to surrender failed. 

'This is a tragety that should never have happened' said some republican senator 'This man was a patriot to America for standing up to the corruption in Government, such as what I fight every day.  That kind of force for one man is unacceptable.'

A vigil is being held and an estimated 1,000 people are arriving.  Police are keeping a large distance from the farm as many of these people appear to be armed."

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2014, 03:34:40 AM »
Clearly, the solution is to bring tanks.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 11:12:25 AM by Lord Dave »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2014, 11:19:11 AM »
FYI
My wife knows more than cliven about US history.

Also: doesn't he contradict himself by calling supporters of small government "federalists"?  Doesn't he know what that means?

Rama Set

« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2014, 01:43:09 PM »
FYI
My wife knows more than cliven about US history.

Also: doesn't he contradict himself by calling supporters of small government "federalists"?  Doesn't he know what that means?

No, he could think that the Federal government is betraying the ideal, whatever that is to Bundy, of federalism.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2014, 02:15:22 PM »

"Cliven Bundy is dead.  Shot while defending his home, Cliven Bundy and 4 other members of his militia group were killed by SWAT teams from the local county's office.  Sources say that the SWAT team entered the house at 10:05am after repeated attempts to get Mr. Bundy to surrender failed. 

'This is a tragety that should never have happened' said some republican senator 'This man was a patriot to America for standing up to the corruption in Government, such as what I fight every day.  That kind of force for one man is unacceptable.'

A vigil is being held and an estimated 1,000 people are arriving.  Police are keeping a large distance from the farm as many of these people appear to be armed."
Only the really crazy right minority would say something like this. How would a SWAT team be too much force after everything this guy has said and done? He has a fucking militia. No one would think "man, the local beat cops should have tried to just walk up and handcuff him."

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2014, 04:55:28 PM »
Only the really crazy right minority would say something like this. How would a SWAT team be too much force after everything this guy has said and done? He has a fucking militia. No one would think "man, the local beat cops should have tried to just walk up and handcuff him."
Your argument defeats itself. He has a ton of people willing to take arms against the government for him - logically there are many more people who support him but don't have a deathwish. Sure, it would be a minority, but more than enough to cause a media outrage.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2014, 05:08:58 PM »
Your argument defeats itself. He has a ton of people willing to take arms against the government for him - logically there are many more people who support him but don't have a deathwish. Sure, it would be a minority, but more than enough to cause a media outrage.
Not sure about "outrage" it would definitely be heavily covered. But you're right, I guess we should just let a militia hang out in Neveda because no one wants to be the person to restore order.

I have not seen any news outlet support him after the racist remarks. So you can assume there are a ton of Bundy supporters, but I just don't think that's true.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 05:10:33 PM by rooster »

Ghost of V

« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2014, 05:29:03 PM »
lets jus nukem

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2014, 05:34:59 PM »
But you're right, I guess we should just let a militia hang out in Neveda because no one wants to be the person to restore order.
Reality sucks sometimes. Most politicians value their job more than their constituents.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2014, 05:42:39 PM »
But you're right, I guess we should just let a militia hang out in Neveda because no one wants to be the person to restore order.
Reality sucks sometimes. Most politicians value their job more than their constituents.
That is political suicide.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2014, 05:48:41 PM »
That is political suicide.
Sadly, no. It should be, I agree, but it isn't.