Re: Atheism vs. religion
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2014, 02:14:06 PM »
Seriously, I really don't get the "well if you like dawkins you're a nazi atheist 9/11" arguments. Apparently it's not possible to like a guy's reasoning and be interested in his logic without being a militant atheist? That makes no sense whatsoever.

That's exactly what a nazi atheist would say.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2014, 02:59:04 PM »
I think you people misunderstood my point. Finding his speeches rational and following his footsteps are two entirely different things. Just look at what Rama Set said, he denies having lectured people on the absurdity of their beliefs, implying that's something undesirable, yet he listens to Dawkins who does exactly that. I mean, of course an atheist would think what Dawkins is saying is rational, but that's only because everything he says is something a rational atheist would figure out on their own. But when you actually start following his footsteps and start lecturing people, that's when you turn into /r/atheism.

And obviously I'm not saying that applies to everybody. Just think of his effect on people in general.

« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2014, 04:41:29 PM »
... he denies having lectured people on the absurdity of their beliefs, implying that's something undesirable, yet he listens to Dawkins who does exactly that.

There's a lot of weight on "lecturing" here.

If someone is invited to debate philosophy, particularly that of religion. Then pointing out that their belief is irrational (with regards to the real world) seems fair enough.

Also please my english what is /r/atheism?

« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2014, 08:11:06 PM »

It's an atheism circlejerk on reddit.

www.reddit.com/r/atheism

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2014, 09:20:59 PM »
But when you actually start following his footsteps and start lecturing people, that's when you turn into /r/atheism.
Would you say it's wrong* for someone to advocate their beliefs and argue for them in public?

* - term deliberately ambiguous
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2014, 09:22:14 PM »
No, but I don't have to like it.

« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2014, 10:33:34 PM »

It's an atheism circlejerk on reddit.

www.reddit.com/r/atheism

Yeah I figured it out. Some of the stuff is funny.

Offline Excelsior John

• Excelsior! Flat Earth FTW!
    • View Profile
    • Excelsior! Flat Earth
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2014, 12:08:27 AM »
Thork is right about modern atheists.  You can claim that you aren't part of the movement all you want, but when you start quoting Dawkins and Hitchens and (a new favorite, it seems) Krauss in your support of the evils of religion, you are a new atheist like it or not.  And most modern atheists get a hard-on at the mere mention of any one of those names.

Here's something to chew on: statistically, your religious friends who go to church and pay blind allegiance to a God you don't think they should believe exists are going to live several years  longer than you.  So right about the existence of God or not they must be doing something right that you aren't.
Thank you roundey!!! :) Genusley put together and shows that religous people will always lead happy lives while atheist will lead dull loveles lifeles lives!!! Whoever beleives that the universe just came into existince from a random gient explosion and that we came from monkees is obvousley not to rite in the head!!! If we "evolved" from monkees then why are there still monkees today?!! Exacley you cant come up with anything!!! ;D Religion beats EVILution by a long flippin shot!!!
Viva la FES!
Quote from: Yaakov ben Avraham link=https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=59968.msg1544396#msg1544396
Excelsior:...You are clearly a reasonable and intelligent person.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2014, 01:19:19 AM »
No, but I don't have to like it.
You don't have to... but why don't you?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2014, 02:26:37 AM »
I should be curious to know who did the study that purports to prove that the religious outlive the non-religious. Has it been peer-reviewed? How was it validated? I'm a religious man, but just taking some blind statistic that someone pulled out of their heiny is playing awfully loose w/ facts. What about atheists w/ a strong network of friends & supporters analogous to a faith community, v. a Jew living in the Deep South 100 miles from another Jew? & every half-educated dimwit knows we didn't evolve from monkeys. We are a Primate, like them. Well, maybe EJ DID evolve from them, but the rest of us didn't, & Darwin never said we did.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 03:37:25 AM by Yaakov ben Avraham »

« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2014, 10:34:36 AM »
I should be curious to know who did the study that purports to prove that the religious outlive the non-religious.

"They are linked but we don't know why."

Maybe the weekly walk to church once a week is all it takes to get an extra couple of years.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2014, 02:36:20 PM »
I think you people misunderstood my point. Finding his speeches rational and following his footsteps are two entirely different things. Just look at what Rama Set said, he denies having lectured people on the absurdity of their beliefs, implying that's something undesirable, yet he listens to Dawkins who does exactly that. I mean, of course an atheist would think what Dawkins is saying is rational, but that's only because everything he says is something a rational atheist would figure out on their own. But when you actually start following his footsteps and start lecturing people, that's when you turn into /r/atheism.

And obviously I'm not saying that applies to everybody. Just think of his effect on people in general.

Dawkins is a public figure with a public forum.  When he lectures people or rails against religion, he is able to do so to a large population.  However, the hypothetical straw-atheist that Thork and Roundy complain about, most likely not having a public forum, would probably be reduced to targeting very small groups or individuals.  That's a dick move precisely because it goes after specific individuals, putting on the spot people who most likely don't want to hear about it.  There's a world of difference between what they do and what public figures like Dawkins do.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 03:51:28 PM by Saddam Hussein »

Rama Set

« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2014, 03:23:50 PM »
Well said Saddam.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2014, 04:26:06 PM »

Dawkins is a public figure with a public forum.  When he lectures people or rails against religion, he is able to do so to a large population.  However, the hypothetical straw-atheist that Thork and Roundy complain about, most likely not having a public forum, would probably be reduced to targeting very small groups or individuals.  That's a dick move precisely because it goes after specific individuals, putting on the spot people who most likely don't want to hear about it.  There's a world of difference between what they do and what public figures like Dawkins do.

That's pretty much what I'm saying, but I can't help but think you're still missing my point.

Again, I'm not concerned with Dawkins himself, but the influence he has on people. Yes, there is a world of difference here, but I don't think you need to explain that to me when I'm the one trying to get that point across.

Rama Set

« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2014, 04:36:29 PM »
Blanko, Dawkin's does not really lecture people on the absurdity of their beliefs.  He is usually quite clear that he personally finds them absurd, but that he does not hold others to that.  He constantly pushes his deeper agenda of encouraging rational thought free from cultural bias, as much as possible, and based on evidence.  That people take this as a cue to lecture others on what is right and wrong is not his fault.  I am not going to pretend that Dawkin's does not become adversarial or confrontational at times, but it is always in the context of an arranged debate, and is just part of the schtick of those.  I saw him on some Scandanavian talk show with the lead singer of the Killers, a Mormon, and Dawkin's opened with the usual criticism of Mormonism; the Killers singer then had to leave to prepare for a song, and Dawkin's who thought that he was there to debate the man, instantly was genuinely apologetic and contrite about the situation.  It was evident that Dawkin's wanted the discourse and merely acting as a provocateur for an interesting debate, and I think most of his comments are in this light.  Except when he is dealing with people who have poorly conceived viewpoints that are used to attempt to cow him.  Then he usually tears them a new one.

In the end, I am not sure why Dawkin's should have to temper or modify a laudable point of view because some fucktards take it as their license to be self-righteous.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2014, 04:38:43 PM »
Good, we're still not disagreeing on anything. Good essay, B+ keep up the good work

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2014, 04:45:59 PM »
So maybe people in TN would live the longest if they weren't so busy drinking sweet tea and eating fried foods.

http://nation.time.com/2014/01/22/godless-cities-in-america/

I need to move.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2014, 04:50:41 PM »
Having lived in TN for 3 yrs, allow me to politely recommend anywhere, even North Korea, as a possible alternative.

Rama Set

« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2014, 04:54:29 PM »
Good, we're still not disagreeing on anything. Good essay, B+ keep up the good work

Conversation is not your strong point is it?  No worries...

You said that you are concerned with Dawkin's influence, but I think you are barking up the wrong tree.  I say you should be concerned with fucktards.  Regardless, the atheist ranters are not really a problem in society.  It's not like they are picketing funerals of HIV victims.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2014, 04:55:01 PM »
Having lived in TN for 3 yrs, allow me to politely recommend anywhere, even North Korea, as a possible alternative.
You just say that because we have a lot of Muslims and Kurdish people.