Yaakov ben Avraham

Re: Atheism vs. religion
« Reply #160 on: May 27, 2014, 02:36:50 AM »
Dude, think about what you're saying! It is not possible, purely on a logical level, that all religions can be equally true. By way of example, either Jesus is the Messiah or he is not. It is remotely possible that he is the messiah & saviour of Gentiles & not of Jews, I'll grant that. Another example. Mohammed is a prophet or he isn't. It is remotely possible that he is a prophet to the Gentile & not to the Jew. But if Mohammed IS a Gentile prophet, then the claims made by Christians for Jesus must perforce be false, even for Gentiles, since the Qur'an contradicts those claims. This doesn't even touch the Dharmic religions. The only reason I suggest that Judaism is certainly true whilst I am unsure about others is because of the national theophany we received @ Sinai. We know what God has revealed to us. What he may or may not have revealed to the Goyim is unknown to us. But we do know that Goy religions make conflicting claims such that they cannot all be true. & if the atheists are right, we're all fucked!

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 27, 2014, 02:38:47 AM »
if the atheists are right, we're all fucked!
not really
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #162 on: May 27, 2014, 02:40:54 AM »
Well, in the sense that we're all just worm food.

Rama Set

« Reply #163 on: May 27, 2014, 02:46:56 AM »

“I would request that my body in death be buried not cremated, so that the energy content contained within it gets returned to the earth, so that flora and fauna can dine upon it, just as I have dined upon flora and fauna during my lifetime”

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

There is great purpose in living for something other than yourself.  The same can be said of dying for something other than yourself.  It requires no afterlife to find that fulfillment.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #164 on: May 27, 2014, 02:55:23 AM »
Well, Rama, that is one way of looking @ it. Personally, I wish to be buried as a Jew for the traditional reasons, which I admit, make little sense, but are so that there is a body to resurrect. I would be embalmed, of course. But there is an even stronger reason for it now. 6 million Jews went through the crematoria of Nazi Germany. This vile treatment has taken what was a purely religious stipulation & turned it into something we will live & die for.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 27, 2014, 02:47:59 PM »
What if God is just a highly evolved alien like Q and not divine at all omg
The Mastery.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #166 on: May 27, 2014, 02:51:46 PM »
Well, beardo, if that were the case, that our creator were that, then ontologically, such a being would still not fit the def. of God as per Anselm's argument.

Ghost of V

« Reply #167 on: May 27, 2014, 04:44:34 PM »

“I would request that my body in death be buried not cremated, so that the energy content contained within it gets returned to the earth, so that flora and fauna can dine upon it, just as I have dined upon flora and fauna during my lifetime”

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

There is great purpose in living for something other than yourself.  The same can be said of dying for something other than yourself.  It requires no afterlife to find that fulfillment.

This is very wise.

The way I see it is: an afterlife cheapens the experience of life. Because, who really cares about all this when you're just going to heaven (or some other place) when you die?

Rama Set

« Reply #168 on: May 27, 2014, 05:34:28 PM »

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

This is very wise.

The way I see it is: an afterlife cheapens the experience of life. Because, who really cares about all this when you're just going to heaven (or some other place) when you die?

I disagree.  I see both options as life-affirming.  If there is a god and an afterlife, then he cares what you do on this world and it matters.  If there is not god or afterlife, then this is all the time you have.  Given the choice, you should make the best of it that you can.  The second choice is less moralistic obviously, but this seems more in line with the "way things work".

Eddy Baby

« Reply #169 on: May 27, 2014, 07:31:06 PM »
Religious texts were written by man, not the Gods that they describe.

Do you Islam?

« Reply #170 on: May 27, 2014, 09:22:54 PM »
Fap, do you really expect him to appear as a human?

No. I never said anything about humans. I'm just interested in the 2 million accounts of what God looks like.

Atheism is the rejection of religion.

A rejection of the propositions made by religions. Usually a personal omni-benevolent, omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient being.

Or: I belief Elvis is still alive. You don't. Why do you hate Elvis?

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #171 on: May 29, 2014, 01:35:42 PM »
Irush, as you can see, your answer is taking longer than a day. There is little on the subject in the literature, aside from the rather obvious statement that 'after Malachi, the prophesy passed out of Israel.' To which the answer is, no shit. Why? I shall ask my own Rabbi that question this weekend, minus the language. I shall get back to you as soon as I have a better answer. I have another Rabbi I can ask also. Re: Fap's question on what God looks like, I haven't had time to review the subject. I shall attempt to do so. However, if you wish to read about the subject yourself, I recommend reading the Book of Exodus. I have read it, but its been awhile, & I have to reread it. You can do the same thing yourself.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #172 on: May 29, 2014, 03:30:53 PM »
Fap, Exodus ch. 19-20 should answer your question.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 29, 2014, 04:36:29 PM »
Irush, as you can see, your answer is taking longer than a day. There is little on the subject in the literature, aside from the rather obvious statement that 'after Malachi, the prophesy passed out of Israel.' To which the answer is, no shit. Why? I shall ask my own Rabbi that question this weekend, minus the language. I shall get back to you as soon as I have a better answer. I have another Rabbi I can ask also. Re: Fap's question on what God looks like, I haven't had time to review the subject. I shall attempt to do so. However, if you wish to read about the subject yourself, I recommend reading the Book of Exodus. I have read it, but its been awhile, & I have to reread it. You can do the same thing yourself.

That's fine. I've been looking for an answer as well, though I am not religious the concept always sparks my curiosity.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #174 on: May 29, 2014, 05:03:55 PM »
To be perfectly fair, altho' it doesn't trouble my Faith in Judaism & the Divine Revelation thereof, it has always made me curious also. I find it equally curious that a non-religious person such as yourself should have the same question. Let me ask yet another question. Would you call yourself an atheist, agnostic, a believer in a Higher Power, one who rejects organised religion, or some other category?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 29, 2014, 05:21:42 PM »
To be perfectly fair, altho' it doesn't trouble my Faith in Judaism & the Divine Revelation thereof, it has always made me curious also. I find it equally curious that a non-religious person such as yourself should have the same question. Let me ask yet another question. Would you call yourself an atheist, agnostic, a believer in a Higher Power, one who rejects organised religion, or some other category?

I'm probably closer to agnostic leaning to atheist, but when asked I normally just say I'm not religious. The term "atheist" has various derogatory side effects I prefer to avoid and the term "agnostic" normally just gets you a funny look.

Also I read a lot into the philosophical side of religions rather than the supernatural. Taoism and Buddhism have always especially intrigued me.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 05:23:55 PM by Irushwithscvs »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 29, 2014, 05:31:23 PM »
The Mastery.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 29, 2014, 05:36:36 PM »
[video]

This is stand up comedy? I would be pissed if I paid to see this guy.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #178 on: May 29, 2014, 05:38:58 PM »
I know very little about Daoism. Buddhism may or may not be religious depending on the variety. Tibetan Buddhism is, for example. Belief in God is taken as a given. But Vietnamese Buddhist thought is often agnostic or even blatantly atheist. Zen is also agnostic leaning to atheist, & the Japanese take care of their need (if any) for deity through Shinto, the native religion of Japan found nowhere else (except in the Japanese diaspora). I've studied mostly Vietnamese Buddhism, since that's the temple in town.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 29, 2014, 05:51:43 PM »
I know very little about Daoism. Buddhism may or may not be religious depending on the variety. Tibetan Buddhism is, for example. Belief in God is taken as a given. But Vietnamese Buddhist thought is often agnostic or even blatantly atheist. Zen is also agnostic leaning to atheist, & the Japanese take care of their need (if any) for deity through Shinto, the native religion of Japan found nowhere else (except in the Japanese diaspora). I've studied mostly Vietnamese Buddhism, since that's the temple in town.

It would take a rather long time of explaining Taoism and I'm not good with explanations. If you're ever interested in learning more, the book I started out with is called the Tao of Pooh and the author does a very good job of explaining each facet. Unfortunately I've never visited any temple or other collection of followers as I tend to be a loner.