« Reply #140 on: May 26, 2014, 05:59:21 PM »
what
NOTHING TO SEE HERE. IGNORE RAMA SET.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism vs. religion
« Reply #141 on: May 26, 2014, 06:02:43 PM »
To go where angels fear to tread, I shall that Judaism is the religion of the Jew. We know what God has revealed to us, & what he expects of us. What he may or may not have revealed to Gentiles, & what he expects or does not expect from them, we neither know, nor care, provided they abide by the 7 Laws of Noah (these can be found online). So we are not an exclusive faith the way Christianity & Islam are.

God hasn't revealed anything to any of you, though. In fact, any Jew currently alive today garnered their knowledge from another person, not God.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #142 on: May 26, 2014, 06:12:35 PM »
You forget that 2 million persons saw God on Mt. Sinai. An entire nation had a theophany. This has been passed down in the Written & Oral Torah for 4500 yrs. Our Faith, our Peoplehood, doesn't depend on one man's achievement, but on that of a nation.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 26, 2014, 06:15:41 PM »
You forget that 2 million persons saw God on Mt. Sinai. An entire nation had a theophany. This has been passed down in the Written & Oral Torah for 4500 yrs. Our Faith, our Peoplehood, doesn't depend on one man's achievement, but on that of a nation.

Well, clearly God liked those 2 million people a lot more than he liked you or any of the other people here.

How do you know that God hasn't simply abandoned the current world? After all, the original writings are full, absolutely full of things God did directly to human beings and now nothing has happened for thousands of years. God might just not like humans any more, maybe he moved on to more interesting things.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #144 on: May 26, 2014, 06:24:39 PM »
That is your opinion. W/ what I have been through in the last 15 yrs, I consider myself to have been the recipiant of MANY miracles that I shan't share here. But I do believe that I am living proof of God's loving care for us. & for his divine intervention.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 26, 2014, 06:33:02 PM »
That is your opinion. W/ what I have been through in the last 15 yrs, I consider myself to have been the recipiant of MANY miracles that I shan't share here. But I do believe that I am living proof of God's loving care for us. & for his divine intervention.

That sounds like confirmation bias, though, and it honestly doesn't make sense in context with your religious texts. When God saved or killed people he really made sure they knew. He even killed a guy instantly for touching the ark of the covenant, and then was kind enough to tell everyone not to do that shit again.

Why the sudden paradigm shift in doing things without telling people? Why has God decided that doing things silently is better than what can only be said to be extreme intervention in everything? None of the texts I know of reference the answers to these questions. The original religious folk got all the benefits of religion while not requiring faith (you see God and he talks to you, faith isn't necessary).
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 06:34:33 PM by Irushwithscvs »

« Reply #146 on: May 26, 2014, 06:46:19 PM »
You forget that 2 million persons saw God on Mt. Sinai.

Cool. What did he look like? If 2 million people saw him then you've got an accurate description right? (assuming that account can survive undistorted for thousands of years)

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #147 on: May 26, 2014, 07:38:31 PM »
Fap, do you really expect him to appear as a human? Irush, that is a good question, to which I haven't got a concise answer. I tell you what. Let me do some research on that one, & I'll get back to you. Give me a day or so.

Ghost of V

« Reply #148 on: May 26, 2014, 07:44:56 PM »
Atheist is a belief in nothing so that means its a religion. Science is also a religion. This is why creationism should be taught in schools.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #149 on: May 26, 2014, 09:11:58 PM »
Vaux, that takes the taco for stupid. Atheism is the rejection of religion. However much I disagree w/ it, it is not a religion. Science is also not religion. From Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary 11th Edition. 'science: knowledge or a system of knowledge covering general truths or the operation of general laws especially as obtained & tested through scientific method.' That last compound noun is defined as 'principles & procedures for the systematic pursuit of knowledge involving the recognition & formulatiom of a problem, the collection of of data through observation & experiment, & the formulation & testing of hypotheses.' the above def. do not a religion make! & hell, if we teach Genesis in the science class, why not Hindu, Aztec, Inca, & Aboriginal creation texts? Keep your Bible, & your interpretation of it, in Sunday School, thank you very much.

Ghost of V

« Reply #150 on: May 26, 2014, 09:40:28 PM »
Religion is just a belief system. Science and atheism take huge leaps of faith (where did the big bang come from? For example). Each religion requires you to make an educated guess at the end of the road, science and atheism fit into this and are therefore religions. This doesn't make any of them right or wrong, but it does make them all possibly correct. My belief system is based around this principal: they are all possible, so I believe in all of them. That way, at the end of the day, I'm saved regardless.

That is also why creationism must be taught in school. Its a legitimate field of scientific study, and could be correct. The children need to be taught all facets of creation: evolution, the beginnings of the universe, and the alpha and omega: God/Jesus/Yahweh/etc.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 26, 2014, 09:42:59 PM »
Religion is just a belief system. Science and atheism take huge leaps of faith (where did the big bang come from? For example). Each religion requires you to make an educated guess at the end of the road, science and atheism fit into this and are therefore religions. This doesn't make any of them right or wrong, but it does make them all possibly correct. My belief system is based around this principal: they are all possible, so I believe in all of them. That way, at the end of the day, I'm saved regardless.

As I said before, most religions include a mutual exclusivity principle. For example, if you are a Muslim, you must believe that Allah is the only true God. This would directly impede your belief in Christianity because Christians believe Jesus to be God. You can't believe all of them simultaneously, their religious texts and commandments have ensured that you must pick one.

Ghost of V

« Reply #152 on: May 26, 2014, 09:45:57 PM »
That restriction does not apply in my revised versions of all the religious texts.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 26, 2014, 09:47:31 PM »
That restriction does not apply in my revised versions of all the religious texts.

You're just trolling, then; good to know.

Ghost of V

« Reply #154 on: May 26, 2014, 09:50:55 PM »

Every religion has groups and subgroups that interpret the texts differently. How is my interpretation any less legitamate?

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 26, 2014, 11:44:03 PM »
I tell you what. Let me do some research on that one, & I'll get back to you. Give me a day or so.

I'll be interested in your answer as we'll. Rushy's point has bothered me for a good while.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 27, 2014, 01:26:38 AM »

Every religion has groups and subgroups that interpret the texts differently. How is my interpretation any less legitamate?

Your interpretation isn't even remotely relevant to reality. Most interpretations of religious texts at least pretend to care about what's actually written inside.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Ghost of V

« Reply #157 on: May 27, 2014, 01:34:31 AM »
Religious texts were written by man, not the Gods that they describe. Its natural that man would insert his bias and ego into the writings. I choose to circumvent all that and go for a more open approach, thus: Vauxhallsim was born.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #158 on: May 27, 2014, 01:51:59 AM »
I never in my life as a human being, let alone as a Religious Jew, thought I would agree w/ an atheist on much of anything. But anyone who defines atheism or science as being religions in any sense, especially after reading the dictionary defs. of 'science' & 'scientific method', is a schmuck.

Ghost of V

« Reply #159 on: May 27, 2014, 02:07:52 AM »
I never in my life as a human being, let alone as a Religious Jew, thought I would agree w/ an atheist on much of anything. But anyone who defines atheism or science as being religions in any sense, especially after reading the dictionary defs. of 'science' & 'scientific method', is a schmuck.

I didn't figure you to stoop to name calling, but I should've known better.