Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
Better Call Saul
« on: February 10, 2015, 10:44:58 PM »
Premiered on Sunday, two episodes have aired now. Anybody else seent it? I think both episodes are fantastic. People expecting BB levels of action will be disappointed, as the protaganist of this show is a sleazebag who schmoozes his way out of conflict. He'll never put on a pork pie hat and growl lines like "say my name" and expect us to take him seriously, thank El. He'll probably never shoot anybody, either.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 10:46:34 PM by Particle Person »
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Saddam Hussein

Re: Better Call Saul
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 03:02:31 AM »
I generally dislike prequels, but the show is off to a great start.  It's really funny, too.  The troll impression in particular made me lol considerably, although I frowned at the "Don't feed them!" line that followed it.  It seemed a bit too MacFarlane-esque in its blatant meme-pandering.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 09:09:14 AM »
Saw the first episode last night. Started a little too slowly for my tastes but got into its stride in the last half of the episode. Saul/ James is a really likeable character, I just hope it broadens the cast a little more. A whole series focussing quite as intently on one character might get overbearing.

Still, good start.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 03:57:21 AM »
I grinned when Tuco opened the door with the gun.  It might get stupid if they try too hard to weave characters from Breaking Bad into the story but I like what they are doing with Tuco.  I'm more on the fence about Mike, but it's been amusing and I'm eager to see what it leads to.  Bob Odenkirk has been spectacular.  I'm loving it so far.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 05:52:52 PM »
I grinned when Tuco opened the door with the gun.  It might get stupid if they try too hard to weave characters from Breaking Bad into the story but I like what they are doing with Tuco.  I'm more on the fence about Mike, but it's been amusing and I'm eager to see what it leads to.  Bob Odenkirk has been spectacular.  I'm loving it so far.

It makes sense for certain characters to make an appearance. Mike is introduced in BB as Saul's private investigator. It would be weird if we didn't see him.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 06:32:20 PM »

It makes sense for certain characters to make an appearance. Mike is introduced in BB as Saul's private investigator. It would be weird if we didn't see him.

Ah, I had forgotten that.  I was just associating him with Gus.  So I'm guessing Mike will be a pretty integral part of the show.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Rama Set

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 06:40:18 PM »
Is it Mike who connects WW to Gus in breaking bad?  Or was that Saul directly?  Per the BB lore, Saul was extremely familiar and comfortable with representing drug dealers and money laundering so I expect Gus to play a big role too.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 06:57:41 PM »
Saul connected Walter to Gus, but not directly. He "knows a guy who knows a guy", or something.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 07:46:43 PM »
BB didn't really do a very good job of establishing Mike's connections to everyone else.  He was indeed originally introduced as Saul's investigator, but that was quickly downplayed in favor of establishing him as Gus's right-hand man.  There are maybe two or three lines of dialogue, tops, following his initial appearance that acknowledge that he is at least nominally employed by Saul as an investigator.  I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that the writers regretted how he was introduced.

Ghost of V

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 07:48:40 PM »
I read that this series switches between flashbacks and flashforwards. Is that true?

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 07:53:07 PM »
BB didn't do a very good job of establishing Mike's connections to everyone else.

I think this was intentional. Mike leads a very private life.

I read that this series switches between flashbacks and flashforwards. Is that true?

Yes, but there has only been one "flash forward" so far. Most of the show will take place before the events of BB, some of it will take place during the BB era, and some of it after.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 01:49:39 AM »
The latest episode was kind of slow.  This subplot with Chuck and his psychosomatic nonsense is so silly that it's hard to care about it.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 02:01:24 AM »
You're probably just too dumb to understand it.