If the Earth were really round...
« on: April 13, 2017, 01:47:12 PM »
...then why would it be so hard to convince us?

Despite your claims to have a wealth of strong evidence for Round Earth Theory, there are still thousands of Flat Earthers, all around the world! Including some very ingenious and deliberate thinkers. If it were truly clear that the Earth wasn't flat, do you not think we'd accept it?

Re: If the Earth were really round...
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 01:58:06 PM »
And if the earth were really flat, then why would it be so hard to convince the billions who believe it is round, including the vast majority (probably over 99%) of scientists?

If the earth were truly flat, don't you think we'd accept it?

Question: have you truly deliberately examined the evidence for a round earth and found the flaws in all of the the reasoning supporting that evidence? For example, how do you explain the results of this experiment:

And for reference, the results are also presented as a chart here (Note that there is an added photo that is not in the video that was taken at the same location as the last observation reported in the video, but at a higher elevation for the observer):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/138443523@N08/32177485004/
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 04:56:13 PM by Nirmala »

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 10:08:19 PM »

No. Because you've been lied to since Kindergarten.

I just discovered Flat Earth about a year ago.

Which scenario do you think is more inducive to cognitive bias?

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 10:11:35 PM »

Ok, so that means that you've finally decided?

But besides that, how would a flat earth explain the video?
Ignored by Intikam since 2016.

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 10:15:59 PM »

Ok, so that means that you've finally decided?

But besides that, how would a flat earth explain the video?

I decided that I don't know. And I feel a special kind of pity for those that have convinced themselves that they do.

Haven't had a chance to watch it, will check it out later.

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 11:14:12 PM »

I just discovered that there was a flat earth movement a few months ago, and I listened to a lot of videos and read a lot of material both in favor of the theory and also debunking the theory. I have yet to encounter evidence for a flat earth that held up to careful examination and analysis. And I have yet to encounter evidence for a round earth that did not hold up under that same kind of examination and analysis. Is that all due to cognitive bias from what I was taught? I don't think so, as I also use reasoning and logic applied to both sets of evidence. And the evidence for one theory falls down every time and one theory withstands reasoning and logic every time.

My experience on this forum has reflected that same pattern. I find there are very few flat earthers that consistently and directly respond to my questions and assertions with well-reasoned arguments. I am not sure why that is, but it most often feels like this is actually "The Round Earth Society" based on how willing the round earthers are to actually engage versus how unwilling most flat-earthers seem to be to engage with the evidence and the reasoning for a round earth. Or maybe the round earthers outnumber the flat earthers to such a degree that it just seems that way.

I am glad to hear that you are willing to watch the video posted. If you have a valid and logical counter-argument to the conclusion that it is evidence for a round earth, I would be glad to hear it. Again most of the time, I do not receive any responses that are well reasoned and thoughtful to my own assertions on here.

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 01:29:30 AM »
Just as an example, I checked this forum for the threads under "Flat Earth Debate" where this thread is located. On the first 2 pages of thread, 80-90% of the most recent comments on the various threads were by round earth proponents. Where are all of the flat earthers willing to debate or discuss?

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
If the Earth were really round...
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 03:39:53 AM »
Just as an example, I checked this forum for the threads under "Flat Earth Debate" where this thread is located. On the first 2 pages of thread, 80-90% of the most recent comments on the various threads were by round earth proponents. Where are all of the flat earthers willing to debate or discuss?

The flat earth proponents here have simply grown tired of having the same debates over and over again. It seems each round of noobs that come by are more entitled with each iteration. Roundies make demands that they can rarely fulfill themselves, so over the years, regulars get tired of it.

Poseidon

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 05:22:04 AM »
JUNKER, come on! That is a cop-out argument and you know it. The fundamental fact of the matter is that even the founder of modern FET makes MASSIVE errors in ENaG. Furthermore he claims a PhD that he could NOT have had, since Britain's Empire did not offer it until 1917. The USA did not until 1861, and he was parading up and down the length and breadth of Britain teaching his bilge at the time. The only place that DID was what was then pre-Imperial Germany. There is NO evidence that he spoke German or ever went there.

His MD is also suspect. We know he had some education in Scotland, but there is no indication of his graduation with any degree. He did have medical background, that much is clear. So does my mother. An MD that does not make.

My whole point is that pretty much EVERY single argument FEer's make, including Rowbotham, will not stand up to scientific or historical evidence. Whining is NOT the solution. Using the scientific method, and historically valid points, is. FEer's seem to be singularly unable to  accomplish that.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 05:23:39 AM by Poseidon »

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 08:58:30 AM »
I understand why someone who has had a debate several times would not be interested in engaging it in again. But where are all of the flat earth noobs who are also just encountering these ideas? Are all of the flat earthers on here, old timers who are too tired to discuss in depth? Is this like an old monastery where all of the monks are old and no one new is joining their ranks? Why are there so few new believers attracted to this site?

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 04:47:48 PM »
I understand why someone who has had a debate several times would not be interested in engaging it in again. But where are all of the flat earth noobs who are also just encountering these ideas? Are all of the flat earthers on here, old timers who are too tired to discuss in depth? Is this like an old monastery where all of the monks are old and no one new is joining their ranks? Why are there so few new believers attracted to this site?

Because they come here and get verbally abused a couple times and never come back. Also, seems that RE people are way more insecure in their beliefs because they have to come here every day to reaffirm them. There is no doubt a large FE community, and this one forum doesn't hardly represent its entirety. As Junker said, it gets a little old debating on the internet where the bias and the circle jerk is so strong that even a well argued point will honestly just get swept aside if it doesn't agree with the GROUPTHINK.

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2017, 04:52:09 PM »
You do need to be a bit thick skinned to debate things on the internet. I try to keep a level tone and not resort to personal attacks, but it is too easy to get carried away when something goes against your beliefs.

I do have a wonderful life, so if no one answers my questions and observations, I will actually be just fine  8)

Poseidon

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2017, 05:04:23 PM »

Because they come here and get verbally abused a couple times and never come back. Also, seems that RE people are way more insecure in their beliefs because they have to come here every day to reaffirm them. There is no doubt a large FE community, and this one forum doesn't hardly represent its entirety. As Junker said, it gets a little old debating on the internet where the bias and the circle jerk is so strong that even a well argued point will honestly just get swept aside if it doesn't agree with the GROUPTHINK.

I don't think it's a question of REer's being insecure. I think it's more along the line of them thinking FEer's are simply so utterly absurd that they want to try to argue sense into them.

I very rarely get into the topic, because anyone who has an IQ over 70 knows the earth is round. The Greeks knew this over 2400 years ago. Every educated sailor, and most educated people of any variety, including Columbus and his crew, knew it in 1492, Washington Irving notwithstanding.

I usually stick to theoretical subjects here at TFES. But I could not help but see this one and dive in.

geckothegeek

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2017, 02:49:29 PM »

The flat earth proponents here have simply grown tired of having the same debates over and over again. It seems each round of noobs that come by are more entitled with each iteration. Roundies make demands that they can rarely fulfill themselves, so over the years, regulars get tired of it.

Flat earthers simply have no factual information of a flat earth.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2017, 02:59:34 PM »

I would suggest reading the wiki, FAQ, and doing some searching on the forum. Aside from that, your post is completely irrelevant and off topic. I am not sure what it will take to get you to follow very simple rules, but it seems that you refuse. Have a couple week vacation to review the rules.

Offline Novarus

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2017, 05:22:55 PM »

I would suggest reading the wiki, FAQ, and doing some searching on the forum. Aside from that, your post is completely irrelevant and off topic. I am not sure what it will take to get you to follow very simple rules, but it seems that you refuse. Have a couple week vacation to review the rules.

And when you present that information to the Flat earth proponents, don't be surprised when they disavow it the moment it doesn't stand up to scrutiny.
The topic here is "why is it so hard to convince people the earth is round?"
I believe that gecko's post was right on topic and his ban should be lifted, since until the Flat Earth Society can agree on a reliable repository of information rather than an "unregulated mess" that gets chucked out in a heartbeat, then none of you have any concrete information to back yp the Flat Earth claims.

And our sources? Try and fucking encyclopedia on the planet, every geophysicist that has ever published and even a cursory Google search that will reveal countless images from space.
So unless you guys can stop being deliberately stupid, this is not a debate forum - it's a place where "roundies" get banned for pointing out baseless arguments.

Poseidon

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2017, 06:28:16 PM »
Avoiding the use of the F-Bomb, the above is a correct perspective. There certainly IS a Flat Earth Repository on this site. But banning someone for being unable to accept the totally illogical arguments contained therein is simply juvenile. It certainly doesn't improve your case any. It merely makes you look like a 5-year-old. Perhaps improving the arguments, to the point that they can be accepted by respectable scientists and historians would be a start.

I too thought the statement for which he was banned was entirely apropos.

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2017, 06:42:11 PM »
Why is there no discussion allowed in the Wiki? If we are directed to just read the Wiki, then why can we not post replies and questions directly to the information in the Wiki? It appears there is a button for that, but they all open up to blank pages.

Poseidon

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2017, 07:05:07 PM »
NOVARUS, I encourage you to edit out the the F-Bomb in your post. One, it is gratuitous. Two, it may get you banned. Just my thoughts.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 07:12:50 PM by Poseidon »

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2017, 07:07:55 PM »
Some guy on Youtube named Rob Skiba has posted videos of a trip he took on Lake Michigan which he claims proves the earth is flat because he can still see part of the Chicago skyline from over 40 miles away. Unfortunately for him, the video actually proves the curvature of the earth as the visible portion of the Skyline is reduced the further he got away from Chicago....by the proportion one could predict from a calculation based on a round earth.

It is great when flat-earthers set out to prove the earth is flat and in the process prove that the earth is actually round!

Here is an analysis of the images taken by Rob Skiba:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 07:10:07 PM by Nirmala »