Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Star Citizen
« on: January 26, 2014, 02:49:07 AM »
This game was kickstarted a pretty long time ago but is getting closer to being, well, a game.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/about-the-game

It gives off a definite feeling of "looks like Eve Online" but it has some key differentiating factors. Star Citizen, unlike most MMOs, is abandoning certain RPG elements, such as skills (you can fly/use anything, assuming you can obtain it). This more or less limits itself to what you can do, rather than what your character can do. It also is primarily in first person and merges the piloting of spaceships with FPS combat. Ships can be boarded as a means of attack, rather than locking on to them and hitting your "fire rockets" button.

I think this is a much more interesting MMO versus something like ESO.

My referral code is STAR-4LZP-G4TL. If I finally trick you into buying this scam, Chris Roberts himself will give me virtual items. You also get $5 in credits added to your account (5000 UEC).

« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 11:52:42 PM by Rushy »

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: Star Citizen
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 03:09:47 AM »
Looks boring.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 03:20:25 AM »
Looks boring.

Well screw you too, buddy.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 05:05:40 AM »
Looks uninspired.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 01:07:31 PM »
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 03:27:38 PM »
Looks uninspired.

Coming from the person who started the ESO thread?

That would be less boring. :p

Well, they have talked about plans on being very immersive.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 04:57:47 PM »
That would be less boring. :p

Well, they have talked about plans on being very immersive.
That's not the problem.  It could be so immersive that I actually believe I'm in the game for 8 hours a day.
The problem is that I'm doing what normal people (in the future) do.  Being a trader is not exciting for me.  Or interesting.  I have no eye for money or good deals.

After reading it a bit more, it sounds like it's basically EVE but with First Person.  You either fight for a merchant, trade with him, or kill him.

I prefer more specific and less personal goals.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 05:07:18 PM by Lord Dave »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 05:29:05 PM »
That's not the problem.  It could be so immersive that I actually believe I'm in the game for 8 hours a day.
The problem is that I'm doing what normal people (in the future) do.  Being a trader is not exciting for me.  Or interesting.  I have no eye for money or good deals.

The game is combat-focused. They've already stated the economy will be 90% NPC driven and that they will control prices. While I don't agree with that personally, I think its best Star Citizen not try to emulate Eve Online. They are different games with different audiences, though there are a lot of people who play both games, if only because they involve space.

After reading it a bit more, it sounds like it's basically EVE but with First Person.  You either fight for a merchant, trade with him, or kill him.

I prefer more specific and less personal goals.

Actually its more like Guild Wars in space. There's not even a monthly fee. Once you buy the game that's it.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 05:30:38 PM by Irushwithscvs »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 11:26:35 PM »
Since the E:D thread is really just E:D vs Star Citizen, I thought I'd bring this thread back to properly post SC related media. These are screenshots that I made, just to show some rough perspective of the ship.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 11:30:20 PM by Irushwithscvs »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 01:41:55 AM »
They're now selling a Destroyer sized ship with Lifetime Insurance (meaning it can never truly blow up) for $2500.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14314-Star-Citizen-Anniversary-Sale

Yeah, okay, I admit... they're getting a little... money hungry. I'm going to try to buy one anyway!

Ghost of V

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 01:47:38 AM »

Yeah, okay, I admit... they're getting a little... money hungry. I'm going to try to buy one anyway!

$2500 for an indestructible ship? That's unfair to po people.

This is just one step away from pay-to-win models, and the devs just lost some of my respect.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 01:52:40 AM »
$2500 for an indestructible ship? That's unfair to po people.

This is just one step away from pay-to-win models, and the devs just lost some of my respect.

Well, all the ships sold right now are pretty much "indestructible." It just so happens this is a big one.

What I mean by "it can't blow up" is that you can't lose it. The ship can very much be destroyed just like a normal ship in the game, but you don't have to pay any extra dough to replace it. Think of it like having a new car where everytime you crash it/break it, the insurance company gives you a brand new one for free.

Ghost of V

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 01:57:18 AM »
That's a bit better, but it still gives an advantage to those who pay for the magical self-repairing ships.. unless in-game currency is really easy to get.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2014, 02:18:47 AM »
That's a bit better, but it still gives an advantage to those who pay for the magical self-repairing ships.. unless in-game currency is really easy to get.

They've said repeatedly that insurance will be laughably easy to get and that even with Lifetime Insurance, if your (capital) ship explodes it could be days, weeks, or more for the insurance company to "build" you a new one. I think the veteran backers will be extra peeved if the developers hold true and make insurance little more than a bother to pay.

Regardless, the Destroyer they are selling has no weapon loadout. It is a completely defenseless military ship turned freighter, and while they said you can hunt down the right tools, I imagine that won't be easy.

Ghost of V

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2014, 04:35:59 AM »
So if you can get all this shit in game without paying $2500, why are people paying $2500 for all this shit?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2014, 04:49:28 AM »
So if you can get all this shit in game without paying $2500, why are people paying $2500 for all this shit?

No one has any idea quite how hard it will be to get it in game and to compound the issue no one knows if Lifetime Insurance (LTI) is essentially meaningless or if it is the most valuable thing in the game. A destroyer which you basically can't lose in the game could mean a lot to someone who tends to stick to one game for years and years.

To really sum it all up in one "word": e-peen.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2014, 01:35:16 AM »
I'm going to try to buy the $2500 ship because reasons.

Ghost of V

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2014, 01:36:15 AM »
I'm going to try to buy the $2500 ship because

To really sum it all up in one "word": e-peen.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2014, 01:54:03 AM »
Yes. My massive e-peen will crush all others.

As a size indicator this ship should be roughly 400m in length.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 03:02:43 AM by Irushwithscvs »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2014, 03:28:53 AM »
You're going to regret it.

That, or my cognitive dissonance kicks in and I'm 100% convinced that it was a perfectly fine purchase which I don't regret at all.

We can name it the USS John Davis and travel the galaxy telling all that this game is a lie and that the earth is flatter than a pancake.