Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: Trump
« Reply #8680 on: March 18, 2021, 06:44:57 PM »
Getting a vaccine is radical?  Nah, you are just being overly dramatic when someone made an analogy to try and clarify.

Really its unnecessary to clarify because anyone but the most dogmatic and biased can see that Trump was recommending the vaccine while respecting people's choice to not take it.  It's really a nothing burger.

He didn't merely say that he respected people's choice not to take it. He said that he "agreed" with it. Presumably he agrees with their concerns and can agree with that point of view as well. I don't see how you can possibly know what he meant.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #8681 on: March 18, 2021, 06:46:57 PM »
I don't see how you can possibly know what he meant.
The way I worked it out was by understanding what words mean. Like “recommend”.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8682 on: March 18, 2021, 06:52:41 PM »
A more appropriate analogy is a scientist recommending that you should participate in their experimental therapy for xx disease. They think it will help you, and think it's going to be safe. But if you have concerns due to the newness of the therapy and potential unknown effects, they can agree with that view as well.

This is a closer analogy to the situation than your ridiculous life boat captain and 911 analogies.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #8683 on: March 18, 2021, 07:26:22 PM »
"we have our freedoms and we have to live by that and I agree with that also."

The "that" which he is agreeing with in that sentence is your freedom. But his recommendation is clear.
If you can't parse simple sentences then I'm not sure how to help you.
Or, rather, you seem to have the ability to parse them in a way which lets you make them mean whatever you want them to mean.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Rama Set

« Reply #8684 on: March 18, 2021, 07:52:18 PM »
Getting a vaccine is radical?  Nah, you are just being overly dramatic when someone made an analogy to try and clarify.

Really its unnecessary to clarify because anyone but the most dogmatic and biased can see that Trump was recommending the vaccine while respecting people's choice to not take it.  It's really a nothing burger.

He didn't merely say that he respected people's choice not to take it. He said that he "agreed" with it. Presumably he agrees with their concerns and can agree with that point of view as well. I don't see how you can possibly know what he meant.

Same way you just did. You aren’t this dense, Tom. He isn’t recommending people don’t take the vaccine though. He explicitly recommends people take it.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8685 on: March 18, 2021, 08:56:53 PM »
I recommend that Tom shut the fuck up.  I respect his right to keep posting but I recommend he shut the fuck up, even if he wasn't planning to, he should.  But I respect his right to not shut the fuck up.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8686 on: March 19, 2021, 01:22:27 AM »

The "that" which he is agreeing with in that sentence is your freedom. But his recommendation is clear.
Or, rather, you seem to have the ability to parse them in a way which lets you make them mean whatever you want them to mean.

If Trump disagreed with the people who didn't want to take the vaccine he would have expressed that. He didn't. He made positive statements that he supports their positions and freedoms as well.

A statement and recommendation from the political progenitor of the project that the vaccines are safe certainly boosts my confidence, however. I'll consider taking it a decade from now after you leftists act as the experimental animals for this.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 01:32:31 AM by Tom Bishop »

Rama Set

« Reply #8687 on: March 19, 2021, 01:33:39 AM »

If Trump disagreed with the people who didn't want to take the vaccine he would have clearly expressed that. He didn't. He made positive statements that he supports their positions and freedoms as well.

I don't understand why you are making such a big deal of this.  He recommends taking it but won't force it or condemn people that don't.  This isnt a controversy unless you feel conflicted about it... of right...

A statement and recommendation from the political progenitor

lol the first two vaccines to the market worked with the German government.  You're so cute though.  Keep going.

of the project that the vaccines are safe certainly boosts my confidence, however. I'll consider taking it a decade from now after you leftists act as the experimental animals for this.

We look forward to being healthy the entire time.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #8688 on: March 19, 2021, 08:30:18 AM »
If Trump disagreed with the people who didn't want to take the vaccine he would have expressed that. He didn't.

Apart from when he said:
"I would recommend it and I would recommend it to a lot of people that don't want to get".
I don't know how you think someone can recommend one action and also agree with people who take the opposite. Again, your inability to parse English sentences seems to be the issue here.

He made positive statements that he supports their positions and freedoms as well.

No and yes respectively.
Supports their freedom, yes. But not their position:

"we have our freedoms and we have to live by that and I agree with that also. But it is a great vaccine. It is a safe vaccine and it is something that works."

A statement and recommendation from the political progenitor of the project that the vaccines are safe certainly boosts my confidence, however.

Why? He has no medical qualifications.
Your confidence in it - or lack thereof - should be based on the advice of medical professionals and the data around the trials and rollout.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #8689 on: March 19, 2021, 05:21:06 PM »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8690 on: March 19, 2021, 05:39:36 PM »
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #8691 on: March 24, 2021, 03:22:23 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/22/politics/sidney-powell-dominion-lawsuit-election-fraud/index.html

Apparently even Sidney Powell herself thinks you're a moron for buying into her obvious lies, Tom!

Thoughts?
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8692 on: March 24, 2021, 04:54:46 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/22/politics/sidney-powell-dominion-lawsuit-election-fraud/index.html

Apparently even Sidney Powell herself thinks you're a moron for buying into her obvious lies, Tom!

Thoughts?

Powell's lawyer clarifies that you are gullible for falling for the media lies.

" HOWARD KLEINHENDLER, ATTORNEY FOR SIDNEY POWELL, RESPONDS TO MEDIA ALLEGATIONS CONCERNING MOTION TO DISMISS FILED AGAINST DOMINION COMPLAINT

New York, New York March 23, 2021

Yesterday, several news media outlets cut and paste out of context portions of our motion to dismiss the Dominion complaint to “spin” a message that the election fraud allegations that Ms. Powell presented to various courts and to the public were not credible. I’d like to clarify what actually was presented to the court. First, let me be clear: any suggestion that “no reasonable person” would believe Ms. Powell or her comments on the election is false. The language these reports referred to is a legal standard adopted by the courts to determine whether statements qualify as opinions which are exempt from defamation liability.

As the DC Circuit reaffirmed just last week, there is no claim for defamation when the alleged “defamatory” statement is a legal opinion. Ms. Powell’s statements fall precisely into this category. Ms. Powell reviewed sworn affidavits, declarations, expert testimony, and other highly corroborated evidence concerning the election which Ms. Powell filed with the courts and shared publicly. She continues to stand by those opinions today. Our motion, in part, argues that the Dominion case should be dismissed because legal opinions are not grounds for defamation.

In sum, the legal standard of a technical legal defense crafted by the courts has been improperly manipulated by the media to tell a false narrative. Ms. Powell is not backing down or retracting her previous statements concerning Dominion. Dominion’s case lacks legal merit and should be dismissed in its entirety.

For further information contact (917) 793-1188 "
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 04:59:45 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #8693 on: March 24, 2021, 05:18:47 PM »
Yesterday, several news media outlets cut and paste out of context portions of our motion to dismiss

It's annoying when people do that, isn't it?

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #8694 on: March 24, 2021, 06:12:54 PM »
Surely the place for stating legal opinion is when arguing a case or the merits of a case before a judge or a court?

Step outside the court, open your mouth in a press conference, and you're just stating 'opinion'. Not legal opinion.

=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.
=============================

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Rama Set

« Reply #8695 on: March 24, 2021, 06:54:17 PM »

Thoughts?

Powell's lawyer clarifies that you are gullible for falling for the media lies.

" HOWARD KLEINHENDLER, ATTORNEY FOR SIDNEY POWELL, RESPONDS TO MEDIA ALLEGATIONS CONCERNING MOTION TO DISMISS FILED AGAINST DOMINION COMPLAINT

New York, New York March 23, 2021

Yesterday, several news media outlets cut and paste out of context portions of our motion to dismiss the Dominion complaint to “spin” a message that the election fraud allegations that Ms. Powell presented to various courts and to the public were not credible. I’d like to clarify what actually was presented to the court. First, let me be clear: any suggestion that “no reasonable person” would believe Ms. Powell or her comments on the election is false. The language these reports referred to is a legal standard adopted by the courts to determine whether statements qualify as opinions which are exempt from defamation liability.

As the DC Circuit reaffirmed just last week, there is no claim for defamation when the alleged “defamatory” statement is a legal opinion. Ms. Powell’s statements fall precisely into this category. Ms. Powell reviewed sworn affidavits, declarations, expert testimony, and other highly corroborated evidence concerning the election which Ms. Powell filed with the courts and shared publicly. She continues to stand by those opinions today. Our motion, in part, argues that the Dominion case should be dismissed because legal opinions are not grounds for defamation.

In sum, the legal standard of a technical legal defense crafted by the courts has been improperly manipulated by the media to tell a false narrative. Ms. Powell is not backing down or retracting her previous statements concerning Dominion. Dominion’s case lacks legal merit and should be dismissed in its entirety.

For further information contact (917) 793-1188 "

I’m glad you agree that Powell did not state any facts, just opinions.

« Reply #8696 on: March 27, 2021, 12:45:50 AM »
So I hope this isn't too much crossing some line, but I laughed harder when I read this than for anything in several days:

https://babylonbee.com/news/mr-biden-why-are-you-a-total-loser-asks-new-white-house-reporter-ronald-crump

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #8697 on: March 27, 2021, 08:24:32 PM »
I've watched a bunch of videos from this lawyer over time and I like the way he presents cases in a very measured way. This particular one is about the latest kraken motion to dismiss. He goes into the "no reasonable people would believe..." bit as being something the media definitely piled on to, but from a defamation defense strategy, not uncommon. It's worth the whole 13 minutes, but if you want to skip to the crux of the biscuit, start around 9:00 mark.

A summation here:

"...which takes us to the arguments about Actual Malice. And recall the Actual Malice is a high standard. And it all hinges on what the alleged defamer was thinking. Did they know the things that they were saying were false? Did they know or should they have known? Were they reckless with respect to whether it was true or false.
And Sidney Powell tries to get around that and get this case dismissed on the basis that she had a true belief that the things that she was saying were true and factual.
And so she's arguing that she couldn't possibly have had actual malice with respect to these are false statements because she really believed them.
So yes, she is arguing that no reasonable person would believe that these were factual statements. And at the same time, she is arguing that she did actually believe the things that she was saying
It's crazy.
"

Sidney Powell's Ridiculous Defense (She Lied the Whole Time?)

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8698 on: March 27, 2021, 09:08:32 PM »
So yes, she is arguing that no reasonable person would believe that these were factual statements. And at the same time, she is arguing that she did actually believe the things that she was saying
It's crazy.

She argued that she believed it but that people wouldn't believe it until it went through the judicial process. What exactly is "crazy" about this statement?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8699 on: March 27, 2021, 09:25:13 PM »
It's crazy.

She argued that she believed it but that people wouldn't believe it until it went through the judicial process. What exactly is "crazy" about this statement?
Your honor.  I believed this with every fiber of my being.  But I didn't have any proof that didn't sound like I was crazy so I had to wait until I could present the evidence in court to show that it is not crazy.