Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump
« Reply #5020 on: March 23, 2020, 06:02:37 PM »
Know whats also odd?
The headlines are "Chinese Virus" not "The Chinese Virus" indicating its a virus that is in China.

The articles attached to the headlines then proceed to use the term CoronaVirus.

Remember, this was back in January, before the term CoronaVirus was well know.

There is 0 reason Trump needs to call it "The Chinese Virus".  We all know its correct name.  Except idiots who think its related to Corona beer.

Also, why not the Wuhan Virus?  If he wants to state where its from, thats even more accurate.

Also, there are several viruses that originated in China.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #5021 on: March 28, 2020, 09:17:20 AM »
We should just call it SARS 2.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5023 on: April 02, 2020, 12:25:37 AM »
Imagine being a liberal democrat and hoping that people die just to make Trump look bad.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 12:30:35 AM by Tom Bishop »

Rama Set

« Reply #5024 on: April 02, 2020, 02:18:40 AM »
Imagine being Trump and having the power to stop people from dying and using it to get the rich richer.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #5025 on: April 02, 2020, 09:10:28 AM »
Imagine thinking that chanting U-S-A, U-S-A, waving a little Stars and Stripes and saying "I'm doing a great job, it's all going to go away" makes any of that true.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #5026 on: April 02, 2020, 03:34:12 PM »
Imagine being a liberal democrat and hoping that people die just to make Trump look bad.

Don't need that to happen for him to look bad. He manages that by walking out in public in his oversized suits, Kim-Jong-Un pants, carefully-tended strawberry blonde coiffe, facial paint, and everytime he opens his mouth.

Honestly, the child cast from Young Sheldon are better public speakers, and far more coherent than POTUS 45. Funnier, too.
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #5027 on: April 02, 2020, 04:21:38 PM »
I remember when the world thought that GW Bush was the dumbest president ever ... Oh, how we were wrong.

Yesterday "Trump started his coronavirus briefing by talking up a Defense Dept. effort to stop narcotics from coming into the U.S. on the same day the death toll from COVID-19 surpassed the number who died in the September 11th terror attacks. "

Dontcha think, Tom, that he has his priorities all wrong?

« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 04:53:18 PM by Tumeni »

Nearly?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5028 on: April 02, 2020, 04:43:08 PM »
I remember when the world thought that GW Bush was the dumbest president ever ... Oh, how we were wrong.

Well, Republicans always gotta one up themselves

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5029 on: April 02, 2020, 05:08:33 PM »
Washington Examiner agrees with me. The news media did originate the Chinese virus stuff.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/no-institution-has-failed-the-public-worse-than-the-news-media-during-the-covid-19-pandemic

No institution has failed the public worse than the news media during the COVID-19 pandemic

It seems impossible that this should be the case, especially considering the federal government’s sluggish, incoherent, and unfocused handling of this crisis. But even the federal government has managed to get some things right. The same cannot be said for our self-important Fourth Estate.

From the very beginning, corporate media got the story wrong, publishing article after article assuring readers that the virus was not as dangerous or serious as it sounded.

“Is this going to be a deadly pandemic?” Vox asked on social media on Jan. 31. “No.”

Later, after it became clear the pandemic that began in China was indeed a fatal, fast-moving global disaster and the bodies started to stack up, major newsgroups in the United States changed tacks, abandoning earlier efforts to downplay the seriousness of the disease to champion the Beijing-approved talking point that says it is “racist” and “xenophobic” to refer to the virus by its city or country of origin.

“Rep. Kevin McCarthy’s coronavirus tweet echoes anti-Chinese racism. He must apologize,” the Sacramento Bee’s editorial board demanded on March 10 after the House GOP leader used the term “Chinese coronavirus” in a tweet. Prior to its editorial, the Sacramento Bee published no fewer than five news headlines featuring the exact term “Chinese coronavirus."

As corporate media rushed to condemn the terms it coined, its individual members embraced a number of demagogic talking points and outright falsehoods, perpetuating junk arguments and total lies in a none-too-subtle effort to score political points.

It gets worse.

Since the pandemic came to U.S. shores, members of the White House press corps have attended coronavirus briefings for the explicit purpose of peppering the president and his response team with insipid questions about whether it is racist to use terms such as “Wuhan virus” and “Kung flu.” Members of the press have belittled and talked down to the healthcare experts charged with leading the White House’s response efforts. Reporters and pundits ridiculed a business owner who overhauled his facilities so that they are now focused mostly on producing cotton face masks. NBC News has even suggested that the president is responsible for an Arizona couple who drank fish tank cleaner thinking it would protect them from the virus.

Worst of all, U.S. newsgroups have taken to praising despotic regimes that are hostile to the U.S., including Russia and China, going so far as to parrot their propaganda.

Article goes on to describe the despicable nature of the media.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 05:24:13 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5030 on: April 02, 2020, 05:14:47 PM »
So, couple of things.

1. Bias is a thing.  Not gonna deny that.
2.Trump is responsible because he used the colloquial name AND the scientific name one after another.  This caused the couple who drank tank cleaner to erroniously believe it was the same thing. (Same collouial name).  So he's like 25% responsible.
3. The Chinese virus is a great descriptor when you don't have a common name to use yet that's easily understood.  Trump went back on that.  And since when does he do what the media does?  Wouldn't that be bad?  Make him as evil as they?
4. Trump has literally sided with Putin over America and is 'great friends with'  president Xi, Kim Jong Un, Putin.... So.... Yeah.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #5031 on: April 02, 2020, 05:23:23 PM »
... goes on to describe the despicable nature of the media.

Trump's administration disbanded/stramlined the global pandemic office in early 2018.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2020/03/18/coronavirus-did-president-trumps-decision-disband-global-pandemic-office-hinder-response/5064881002/

When asked about that now, Trump describes it as a "nasty question". That's Trump's despicable nature, right there.

Nearly?

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #5032 on: April 02, 2020, 05:29:46 PM »
Tom

March 6, Trump visits the Centre for Disease Control, and can't help blathering about his phone call with the Ukranian president - ""The [coronavirus] tests are all perfect. Like the letter was perfect. The transcription was perfect. This was not a perfect as that, but pretty good.""

Same visit, he seems to want the folks on board a cruise ship to die in order to keep the numbers down on the mainland - "I like the numbers being where they are. I don't need to have the numbers double because of one ship"

There you go. Just two examples of the despicable nature of Trump

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/18/coronavirus-donald-trump-timeline

Nearly?

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #5033 on: April 02, 2020, 05:51:37 PM »
Tues 31 Mar "Trump to roll back Obama-era clean car rules in huge blow to climate fight"

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/mar/31/trump-epa-obama-clean-car-rules-climate-change

and ...

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2017/03/how-trump-is-changing-science-environment/

It's almost like he WANTS to make the environment worse for Americans...

Nearly?

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #5034 on: April 02, 2020, 08:47:09 PM »
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/04/trump-fired-pandemic-response-jared-kushner-coronavirus.html#comments

Damn, that Jared Kushner can do anything! I'm surprised he hasn't solved world hunger yet, surely he has a solution in mind.

This is terrifying.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 08:49:55 PM by Roundy »
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #5035 on: April 02, 2020, 11:21:04 PM »
Trump sez "Nobody saw this pandemic coming". Biden did.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/04/nobody-expected-the-coronavirus-pandemic-joe-biden-did.html

"...  Biden ...  wrote an op-ed on January 27 warning that Trump had left the country unprepared to handle the coronavirus outbreak, and proposing steps to counter it. One of his main advisers, Ron Klain, wrote an op-ed making similar points five days before that."

Nearly?

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #5036 on: April 02, 2020, 11:25:59 PM »
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/04/trump-fired-pandemic-response-jared-kushner-coronavirus.html#comments

Damn, that Jared Kushner can do anything! I'm surprised he hasn't solved world hunger yet, surely he has a solution in mind.

This is terrifying.

"... reports that, in one meeting, the presidential son-in-law insisted that he had mastered the problem of ventilator disbursement. “I have all this data about ICU capacity. I’m doing my own projections, and I’ve gotten a lot smarter about this."

Wow. That really inspires confidence. Not.

"There is no chance that bringing in a rich kid who happened to marry into the family to direct the federal government’s response to a catastrophic pandemic is an optimal, or even reasonable, management structure."

Spot on.

Nearly?

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #5037 on: April 02, 2020, 11:45:16 PM »
Secret Service just ordered $45,000 of golf cart rentals at Trump National Golf Club this weekend.

Can you guess why?

https://imgur.com/gallery/Pd9025s

Nearly?

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #5038 on: April 03, 2020, 12:17:33 AM »
https://www.vox.com/2020/4/2/21204228/trump-coronavirus-crisis-impeachment-trial-professor-pamela-karlan-warning

It can't be stressed enough that nearly half of the country feels that behavior like this is perfectly acceptable.  In fact a solid majority of Americans approve of Trump's handling of the crisis, which is kind of insane.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5039 on: April 03, 2020, 05:00:27 AM »
Secret Service just ordered $45,000 of golf cart rentals at Trump National Golf Club this weekend.

Can you guess why?

https://imgur.com/gallery/Pd9025s

Its only bad if Obama does it.