Yaakov ben Avraham

Re: Ask a Jew anything.
« Reply #440 on: September 10, 2014, 01:08:27 PM »
Since I am NOT advocating genocide, but population transfer, a very different thing, which would involve no deaths, Godwin's Law applies quite well here.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 10, 2014, 01:14:05 PM »
My girl friend loves my uncircumsised penis.  Why do people do that?  It is barbaric and unnatarul.  Are you from the stone age, Yaakov? 

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #442 on: September 10, 2014, 01:16:48 PM »
I REALLY could have done without knowing what your GF likes or does not like, friend. In Iowa, we call that TMI. Like I said, the Stone Age has nothing to do with it. Actually, the practice started in about the Bronze Age, although today it is carried on by Jews and Muslims for religious reasons and by many Americans for health reasons.

Offline Lemon

• Lime
    • View Profile
    • Disco
« Reply #443 on: September 10, 2014, 01:19:36 PM »
I myself am actually notJewish.
NOTHING TO SEE HERE. IGNORE RAMA SET.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #444 on: September 10, 2014, 01:22:10 PM »
Well, good for you. Greetings! I suspect we agree on practically nothing, however. In fact, I suspect you're not religious. Your choice. Even if you were, we probably STILL wouldn't agree on much. That is ALSO ok. Put four Jews in a room, get five opinions. Happens all the time. Doesn't bother me any.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: September 10, 2014, 01:27:49 PM »
Since I am NOT advocating genocide, but population transfer, a very different thing, which would involve no deaths, Godwin's Law applies quite well here.

Right, genocide is just your backup plan if the transfer doesn't work.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #446 on: September 10, 2014, 01:29:28 PM »
No, I wouldn't do that. I would go to forced transfer, at that point.

« Reply #447 on: September 10, 2014, 01:31:22 PM »
Male circumcision is not mutilation and never has been. It is widely done in the the USA by non-Jews simply as a health measure, to aid in the cleaning of the penis.

There has never been any practice of female cutting of any sort by Jews.

On a male, the pain, if any, is very brief.
It appears that your definition of mutilation disagrees with mine.

It also appears that your definition of mutilation disagrees with dictionaries.
Some ethnic groups practice ritual mutilation, e.g. circumcision, scarification, burning, flagellation, tattooing, or wheeling, as part of a rite of passage. In some cases, the term may apply to treatment of dead bodies, such as soldiers mutilated after they have been killed by an enemy.
My I.Q. is 85......or was it 58.

I am the stupiderist person on the FES.

THORK IS TERRIBLE.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #448 on: September 10, 2014, 01:37:51 PM »
Since your dictionary was presumably written without any input from Jews, it reflects a non-Jewish, possibly even slightly anti-Semitic, approach to the English language. I am sure if you looked up the Hebrew word "bris" in a Hebrew dictionary, it would not describe the term as a "mutilation". So it is all in how you perceive words. I'm not going to worry my head about what you, or your dictionary says, to be bluntly honest with you. I have better things to do with my time.

« Reply #449 on: September 10, 2014, 01:52:29 PM »
Or, myself and the dictionary could be anti mutilation of children.

It is time that people of any religion admitted that their religion is not perfect.
My I.Q. is 85......or was it 58.

I am the stupiderist person on the FES.

THORK IS TERRIBLE.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #450 on: September 10, 2014, 01:54:38 PM »
Like I said, it depends on the dictionary. Gotta run for now.

Rama Set

« Reply #451 on: September 10, 2014, 02:15:19 PM »
Like I said, it depends on the dictionary. Gotta run for now.

Is this the sort of academic standard you hold yourself to?  If so, did you already eat the gum that your diploma was wrapping or can I have it?

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #452 on: September 10, 2014, 02:59:04 PM »
QUOTE: "Is this the sort of academic standard you hold yourself to?  If so, did you already eat the gum that your diploma was wrapping or can I have it?"

Well, ask yourself. What would it say in a Hebrew dictionary (I mean a standard issue one, printed by say, Barron's, or what-have-you) under the word "bris"? In what dictionary in English does male circumcision get defined as mutilation? Oxford? Merriam-Webster? What edition? How much Political Correctness went into writing said dictionary? How much possible anti-Semitism is there in the dictionary? These are all valid questions to ask, and a failure to ask them is a failure to engage yourself academically with the question. I realise that Americans (most of them) tend to be idiots who accept whatever they are spoon-fed by CNN and MSNBC, of course (except for the wild Tea Party Right who go for Faux News). That is why you never hear REAL news in this country.

As regards the way the English language is spoken in this country, I have no respect for it. When someone says something so stupid as "The university alums were happy", they should be arrested. The correct word is of course, "alumni". But, God forbid we should use the language correctly.

Another example. " And now I introduce the Chair of our department." The proper word would be, of course, "Chairman", or maybe "Chairwoman". What kind of an idiot wants to reduce the head of a department to a piece of furniture? Again, PC bullshit.

Or the idiots in our lovely gossip magazines who use words like "vaycay" and other words of that nature that should be declared illegal under penalty of being fined. For once I actually agree with the French, who have a language police.

So when people start manipulating language to meet their political needs, I tend to simply pass them off as fucking retarded. Its that simple.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 03:01:51 PM by Yaakov ben Avraham »

Rama Set

« Reply #453 on: September 10, 2014, 03:11:19 PM »
First off, apologies, I thought your dictionary comment was referring to multiple definitions of the word "true".

As to the "bastardization" of English I daresay that the flexibility it employs and has always employed is what allowed it to become so prevalent. It is hard to master, but can also communicate simple ideas very easily. It is the ultimate tool in cultural warfare, which I am sure you can appreciate, given your field of interest.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #454 on: September 10, 2014, 03:20:55 PM »
I certainly do appreciate that English has been, and still is used for cultural warfare. I simply despise the bastardisation of any language. I speak two, and have some familiarity with a third, although I admit, that last was a LONG time ago. And of course Hebrew, at least for prayer.

I just hate to see people deliberately destroy English either through 1, laziness, or 2, deliberate political attempts to fuck with it. In the first case they need to be educated how to behave. In the second case they need to be cited and fined as they would be in France. I actually do agree with the idea of having Language Police (I don't know that they are called that per se). The Government in France actually enforces laws in  France such that if a merchant has a sign on his window that is written in garbled French, or bastardised French, they can be cited and fined for it. I am all in favour of that.

Apologies accepted, thank you.

Rama Set

« Reply #455 on: September 10, 2014, 05:02:51 PM »
But if you were that stringent with English you may never have had someone like Shakespeare.  Besides, it sounds like too strong a limit on freedom of expression.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #456 on: September 10, 2014, 05:31:29 PM »
Its one thing to allow poetic license. Its another thing entirely to allow laziness of political agenda. And freedom of expression should not trump the language being maintained in dignity and respect. Say whatever you want, but say it in a manner that wouldn't make your English teacher vomit.

Rama Set

« Reply #457 on: September 10, 2014, 06:21:33 PM »
Its one thing to allow poetic license. Its another thing entirely to allow laziness of political agenda. And freedom of expression should not trump the language being maintained in dignity and respect. Say whatever you want, but say it in a manner that wouldn't make your English teacher vomit.

What sort of punishment do you propose for those who violate the sanctity of the English language?

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #458 on: September 10, 2014, 06:40:39 PM »
The same they use in France. Fining.

Rama Set

« Reply #459 on: September 10, 2014, 07:05:03 PM »
The same they use in France. Fining.

what law are you referring to.  I can't find anything on this.