Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
Re: I Hate Linux Distros
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2021, 08:47:16 AM »
There is no compartmentalization at this job at all. I have complete administrative access to everything, including the main router/firewall and I've been there for all of four days. That's not normal, right?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2021, 11:10:38 AM »
There is no compartmentalization at this job at all. I have complete administrative access to everything, including the main router/firewall and I've been there for all of four days. That's not normal, right?

Not for high security places, no.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Dr Van Nostrand

• There may be something to this 'Matrix' stuff...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2021, 07:42:35 PM »
There are two level 3 remote workers from Pakistan, probably being paid $5 an hour for way more advanced work. They manage all of the ESXi machines in the office.

They took mah job!!!

Anytime I have call for support on any computer, application, or software platform, I know the guy answering the phone is 3 or 4 levels below the guy I need to talk to.

Taking Security + in a couple of weeks...  I'll be qualified for some $10 an hour Pakistani job.

Round Earther patiently looking for a better deal...

If the world is flat, it means that I have been deceived by a global, multi-generational conspiracy spending trillions of dollars over hundreds of years.
If the world is round, it means that you’re just an idiot who believes stupid crap on the internet.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2021, 10:23:26 PM »
There are two level 3 remote workers from Pakistan, probably being paid $5 an hour for way more advanced work. They manage all of the ESXi machines in the office.

They took mah job!!!

Anytime I have call for support on any computer, application, or software platform, I know the guy answering the phone is 3 or 4 levels below the guy I need to talk to.

Taking Security + in a couple of weeks...  I'll be qualified for some $10 an hour Pakistani job.

Well, their role is probably a $40 an hour job in the US.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2022, 05:29:07 AM »
Fucking nerds at this place trying to talk about how much they know about IT. The English guy is quiet and hardly says anything unless someone bothers him for help. There's a super autistic guy there who stutters and mumbles constantly who is really nice. Everyone else is a dickhead who is always trying to one-up whoever they're talking to. This one lady won't shut the hell up about Log4j whenever she talks to the manager, like she's some kind of security hotshot. She always announces to everyone that she's "in the firewall poking around". Later in the day, I saw her trying to use PowerShell with red text all over the damn place. I tried to start a conversation with this little Chinese guy the other day about all the services AWS has and how powerful it is, and he goes on a rant about how physical servers will always be better because you can see them and touch them. So, I just sat in my corner for the rest of the day and helped the autistic guy pull hard drives out of old PCs. Kill me.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 05:33:37 AM by Fortuna »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2022, 05:36:28 AM »
Fucking nerds at this place trying to talk about how much they know about IT. The English guy is quiet and hardly says anything unless someone bothers him for help. There's a super autistic guy there who stutters and mumbles constantly who is really nice. Everyone else is a dickhead who is always trying to one-up whoever they're talking to. This one lady won't shut the hell up about Log4j whenever she talks to the manager, like she's some kind of security hotshot. She always announces to everyone that she's "in the firewall poking around". Later in the day, I saw her trying to use PowerShell with red text all over the damn place. I tried to start a conversation with this little Chinese guy the other day about all the services AWS has and how powerful it is, and he goes on a rant about how physical servers will always be better because you can see them and touch them. So, I just sat in my corner for the rest of the day and helped the autistic guy pull hard drives out of old PCs. Kill me.

Welcome to IT Hell, level 3.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2022, 05:40:44 AM »

Maybe I picked the wrong career. Hopefully this place is just more insufferable than the norm.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2022, 08:11:27 AM »

Maybe I picked the wrong career. Hopefully this place is just more insufferable than the norm.

No idea.  Never worked at a place like that and I'm on...place 3 for IT support.

Of course, I could be 'that guy' and not know it.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2022, 05:02:36 PM »
MSPs are generally shithouses. You can actually learn a lot (by yourself if you are driven) due to the diverse nature of businesses you may provide support for, but you will likely lack guidance from someone who knows what they are doing. Usually, billable hours are the name of the game.

Work for a tech company if you want to do the "bleeding edge" stuff, work for the government if you want to coast, work for a mid-size business (as internal IT, preferably sysadmin or equivalent) if you want something in between.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2022, 06:26:18 AM »
MSPs are generally shithouses. You can actually learn a lot (by yourself if you are driven) due to the diverse nature of businesses you may provide support for, but you will likely lack guidance from someone who knows what they are doing. Usually, billable hours are the name of the game.

Work for a tech company if you want to do the "bleeding edge" stuff, work for the government if you want to coast, work for a mid-size business (as internal IT, preferably sysadmin or equivalent) if you want something in between.

It's a mess, held together by a British guy and a really pro manager. I'll most likely go the government route.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2022, 12:55:53 PM »

It's a mess, held together by a British guy and a really pro manager. I'll most likely go the government route.

If you can find a school district, go there.

Relaxed.
Few 'after hours' calls.
Holidays and snow days (depending on state).

Gotta take a civil service test most likely but... Its a good job.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2022, 08:21:59 AM »
I quit. I spent an hour trying to figure out why I couldn't set up a VPN on a client's PC. I finally said "what the hell is this shit" out loud and the British guy came over. He looked at the config document I was going off of and said "Oh that lot is out of date." and scooted back to his desk. I had been using the wrong MFA token, credentials, and even the client. There was nothing in the document indicating it was deprecated. The proper client isn't even documented anywhere. I had to ask someone. Big deal, right? Now I know how to do it. No. Everything is like that at this company. Anyway, I have a couple more interviews coming up.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2022, 09:24:56 AM »
Welcome to early IT. It doesn't get better.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2022, 12:00:59 PM »

Nope.  In fact, you got lucky: someone knew something.
Now imagine a situation where the british guy knew as much as you.

Offline Dr Van Nostrand

• There may be something to this 'Matrix' stuff...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2022, 02:34:19 PM »

Nope.  In fact, you got lucky: someone knew something.
Now imagine a situation where the british guy knew as much as you.

Holy Crap, now I see what's going on when I call someplace for tech support.

What kind of money are these people being paid?

I could deal with a lot of bullshit for the right price and if some company wants to pay me enough, I could enjoy spinning my wheels in meaninglessness.  I'll take all the money they want to waste.

Of course, I'd have to develop some weird persona to fit in. I could be 'that dude who wears an ascot' or 'the old hippie with the Ramones screensaver."
Round Earther patiently looking for a better deal...

If the world is flat, it means that I have been deceived by a global, multi-generational conspiracy spending trillions of dollars over hundreds of years.
If the world is round, it means that you’re just an idiot who believes stupid crap on the internet.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2022, 03:15:11 PM »
The kind of money that makes you not care, thus perpetuating the cycle.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2022, 07:43:07 AM »
The kind of money that makes you not care, thus perpetuating the cycle.
Not always.
Depends if you're a contractor or not.
Contractors get paid shit.  Especially if the company paying them is Indian.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2022, 03:40:59 AM »
Looks like I'm off to the Gay Area in June. I just need a Prius and 10 turtlenecks of the same color.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2022, 06:04:31 AM »
Looks like I'm off to the Gay Area in June. I just need a Prius and 10 turtlenecks of the same color.

Apple?

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2022, 06:31:24 AM »

Apple?

I wish, but it is another of the big tech companies. It's not a fancy SWE job or anything. Just working in a datacenter.