Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
Re: Weather forecasts
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2022, 02:36:50 AM »
Fair point about staff at the metoffice. +1 for you there.

Global climate models are built on a lot more than just weather data, but I don’t have the energy to look into all the partnering organizations right now (pages like from the link you provided like sea ice and sea level rise).

« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2022, 08:52:41 AM »
...Generally, weather presenters are paid actors with only the most rudimentary of training. There is no requirement for them to hold any qualification in meteorology, and the pay is too low to be attractive to those overqualified.

This is a very broad generalisation Pete.  I can list a few Australian TV weather presenters
who're actual meteorologists straight off the top of my head:

Dave Brown,  Jane Bunn,  Tony Auden,  Rob Gell,  Nate Byrne.

And of course the weather presenters are "paid".  Why wouldn't they be?    Can you please
list a few US weather presenters who are merely actors, with no meteorological training?
You also seen to be implying that qualified meteorological individuals who choose to present
the TV weather are "overqualified" whilst also implying they should be so qualified. 

Where exactly do you stand on this?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2022, 09:14:56 AM »
This is a very broad generalisation Pete.  I can list a few Australian TV weather presenters
Yes, you can. You can also read the conversation that followed my statement, in which we covered the fact that something happening "rarely" does not mean it doesn't happen at all, and in which I explained that presenting examples wouldn't help.

You really need to read before you post.

And of course the weather presenters are "paid".  Why wouldn't they be?
Where on Earth did you get the idea that they shouldn't be?

Can you please
list a few US weather presenters who are merely actors, with no meteorological training?
No, for a few reasons. Firstly, I clearly stated that they receive some rudimentary training. Secondly, I'm not gonna trawl through foreign TV stations' payrolls just to satisfy your whim. I already substantiated my general claim.

whilst also implying they should be so qualified.
I said no such thing. I also expressly stated the opposite.

Where exactly do you stand on this?
Why do I need to "stand" anywhere on anything? I corrected a factual error in a post. This isn't some complex worldview with deep nuances. Weather presenters are, generally, not meteorologists. This is irrespective of the fact that meteorologists can present the weather, and that they do so sometimes (rarely).
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 09:18:28 AM by Pete Svarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume