Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Just Watched
« Reply #800 on: October 26, 2014, 10:40:32 PM »
Well, they fucked up Teal'c's character a good bit in season 8. Just finished the episode where he is living in his own apartment and gets arrested for homicide. O'neil is now the brigadier general of the SGC and Suemantha Carter is the commander of Sg-1. When does the new commander show up?

Stop watching it right now. Let the show stay in your memory as a thing of greatness. Don't let the shitty later seasons ruin it all for you.

McKay is heaps more fun to watch than Carter ever was

What? McKay is the single most annoying character ever created in fiction. I would honestly rather watch thousands of hours of jar-jar binks movie clips stitched together than watch that idiot say a single line.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 10:43:08 PM by Irushwithscvs »

Ghost of V

« Reply #801 on: October 26, 2014, 10:44:29 PM »
Is it really that bad? It's interesting watching them change the formula a little.

Although Teal'c's insistence that he's from Mozambique and obsession with displaying African artifacts in his apartment did leave a sour taste in my mouth. Samantha Carter's relationship with Pete is shallow. The only reason I'm sticking around is because I like watching O'neil break basic protocol every episode as commander of the SGC.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 10:58:45 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: October 27, 2014, 01:25:18 AM »
Is it really that bad? It's interesting watching them change the formula a little.

Although Teal'c's insistence that he's from Mozambique and obsession with displaying African artifacts in his apartment did leave a sour taste in my mouth. Samantha Carter's relationship with Pete is shallow. The only reason I'm sticking around is because I like watching O'neil break basic protocol every episode as commander of the SGC.

O'Neill's status as brigadier general is to prep the audience on him leaving the show. After he is gone, well, it all goes to shit. I'm not sure of the exact cause of it; maybe its the writers running out of ideas, Amanda Tapping getting older, Richard Dean Anderson not acting anymore, all the above, hell maybe I just don't plain like the later seasons. They just, you know, suck balls.

I didn't like Atlantis either, but that is mainly because of McKay. I had hoped he died in the pilot or something. Stargate Universe was an okay show but it didn't match up with the rest of the stargate series (it took itself very seriously, which isn't the norm for a stargate series).
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 01:27:14 AM by Irushwithscvs »

Ghost of V

« Reply #803 on: October 27, 2014, 01:31:10 AM »
Well, I plan on watching the entire franchise. It deserves that much. I can tell the quality of the writing has gone down, even as early as season 7.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 01:34:19 AM by Vauxhall »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: October 27, 2014, 01:33:06 AM »
Well, I plan on watching the entire franchise. It deserves that much. I can tell the quality of the writing has gone down, even as early as season 7.

Oh it gets bad before Richard Dean Anderson leaves, but that's like comparing a rainy day to a cat 5 hurricane. Yeah the rainy day sucks, but it doesn't really suck that much.

Ghost of V

« Reply #805 on: October 27, 2014, 01:34:25 AM »
I've heard Universe described as Battlestar Galactica(reboot)-lite. For a show that relies on humor to lighten the mood I'm interested in Universe's change in tone, but I am cautious as well.

Ghost of V

« Reply #806 on: October 27, 2014, 01:52:56 AM »
I've also seen a few new episodes of The Walking Dead. My impressions are pretty negative. Seems like the writers can't think of what to do next, and the biggest new threat (and obvious source of story material) has been quickly eliminated. Now we get to watch Rick's group slowly become more jaded and barbaric as if it's some revolutionary new concept that's supposed to hold my attention because it's so philosophically deep. This show really takes itself too seriously.

I can honestly say that I did enjoy the first two seasons, with the 2nd season being better than the first ... But what has come after that is just monotonous storytelling and lack of direction. -2/10

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: October 27, 2014, 01:59:36 AM »
Zombie survival stories always run out of juice in very little time. I'm surprised it has lasted this long.

Ghost of V

« Reply #808 on: October 27, 2014, 02:04:12 AM »
Zombie survival stories always run out of juice in very little time. I'm surprised it has lasted this long.

Well the first 2 seasons are heavily character based, which is what I think made it enjoyable to watch. I have never been a fan of the zombie survival genre in any form of media, as it's all the same crap over and over.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #809 on: October 27, 2014, 02:10:02 AM »
I've never heard anyone say anything positive about that show, ever.  It seems like everyone watches it, and then they all go online and rant about how awful it was.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #810 on: October 27, 2014, 03:06:11 AM »
I've never heard anyone say anything positive about that show, ever.  It seems like everyone watches it, and then they all go online and rant about how awful it was.
I like it.

Me and my friends are playing a fantasy Walking Dead game where we choose our "teams" every week.

Ghost of V

« Reply #811 on: October 27, 2014, 03:16:03 AM »
Why do you like it?

And yes Saddam, it is entertaining to watch a train wreck in progress. This is humans 101.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #812 on: October 27, 2014, 04:33:35 AM »
Surely not for season after season.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: October 27, 2014, 04:35:45 AM »
I know plenty of people that genuinely enjoy watching it. They're the same kind of people that Rooster described. I think the fun is guessing who gets ate next or something. I watched a few episodes but to me it is just a generic zombie survival show.

« Reply #814 on: October 27, 2014, 07:21:47 AM »
Play DayZ and experience the Walking Dead for yourself.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: October 27, 2014, 11:47:35 AM »
Or plat Telltale's amazing Walking Dead games that are infinitely more enjoyable than watching the show.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #816 on: October 27, 2014, 01:35:48 PM »
What is a "generic zombie survival show"? Are there a lot of these things around that I don't know about?

I like the Walking Dead because I've grown attached to the characters and the writing is acceptable. I personally haven't seen too much bitching from people since the end of second season. The whole barn shit was definitely the worst and turned off a lot of people I think.

I need to catch up to the last two episodes, but someone told me they're following a new plot branch from the comics so I don't know where the "writers don't know what to do next" theory is coming from. They have on-going canon material to work from so they shouldn't run out of ideas any time soon.

Ghost of V

« Reply #817 on: October 27, 2014, 05:40:25 PM »
The writers used to write original content loosely based off the comics. You're telling me that they're now just blatantly lifting from the comics? Then you're telling me you don't understand how the writers are running out of ideas?

I haven't read the comics, because like I said: I don't like the zombie survival genre. It's one of the most brainless genres out there (no pun intended). There's always zombies popping up for no explainable reason. Why are there zombies? Virus. Where did it come from? Someone either created it as an experiment or it fell from space. Is it stoppable? No, we're all doomed. What do we do? Camp out until we are overrun and some of us die, then rinse/repeat. Oh no, one of my family has turned! So drama.

And do you honestly not know of any other zombie survival media? We weren't talking about just TV shows, but the whole genre itself. Games, TV, movies, etc. Its getting ridiculous.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 05:50:24 PM by Vauxhall »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #818 on: October 27, 2014, 06:40:33 PM »
To be fair, it was Rushy who originally specified "shows," and it's true that's there's only one zombie show.  Well, I suppose there's that new one that's on the Siffy channel, but good luck finding anyone who'll admit to watching that.  I agree with you that all the zombie shit is tired and needs to go away, though.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: October 27, 2014, 07:09:34 PM »
I don't consider the term "show" to specifically cater to television series.