newhorizons

Moons appearance
« on: August 03, 2019, 10:35:48 PM »
https://wiki.tfes.org/Moon

This page of FW Wiki makes for fascinating reading.  Does anyone know how much experience Rowbotham actually had in observing the Moon through telescopes himself? I have personally had the pleasure of doing so for many years using a variety of telescopes of type and size.  I cannot say that I share Rowbothams comments about how the Moon looks through telescopes. Quite the opposite in fact. No matter how many times you have seen it you can never get bored of the sight.  It lures you in and then keeps your attention for as long as you remain at the eyepiece.  Just seeing the Moon hanging there in the sky makes me want to get the telescope out and take a look.

I particularly enjoy showing others the Moon who have never looked through a telescope before.  It is true that some targets can be quite challenging for those unaccustomed to using telescopes but not the Moon. It is big and bright, and the detail that you can observe even with a small telescope at low power is breathtaking. I don't think I have ever experienced any one say ''why I see nothing but clouds and bubbles!' as the article suggests.

newhorizons

Re: Moons appearance
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 06:59:29 PM »
Here is an image of the Moon taken through my own telescope.  At 10" RC reflector and a Flea3 mono high frame rate camera for those interested.

newhorizons

Re: Moons appearance
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 07:05:45 PM »
And another, this time taken with a 610nm red filter to increase the contrast and darken the background sky (it is still daylight here!).  Sorry for adding it as another reply but I don't know how to add an image to a previous post by modifying it.  I have also included part of the software I am running (FireCapture) to get the live image from the telescope.