TheFineBros
« on: January 31, 2016, 10:13:15 PM »
Has anyone else been paying attention to this debacle?

Basically, TheFineBros, a YouTube channel that focuses on reaction videos, is attempting to take legal control of "their" 'reaction formats and trademarks'. This means that other users who do reaction videos will likely be forced to get licensing from TheFineBros and consequently have to share profits with them.

Honestly, I think this is downright stupid. TheFineBros didn't invent reaction videos and they sure as hell don't own these videos (which are usually shit anyway). What they're saying is the equivalent of Anthrax, a major speed metal band, trying to take legal control of the 'speed metal formats and trademarks', thus forcing bands like Metallica and Megadeth to require licensing from Anthrax and share profits with Anthrax.

It comes off as monopolization bullshit, and it really doesn't make sense.

Thork

Re: TheFineBros
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 11:20:51 PM »
They are just protecting their logos, trademarks and specific show format. Not the concept of a reaction video. They are franchising their model to allow Germans to do a German version, The Japanese to do a Japanese version etc etc. They will not be able to enforce 'legal control' of reaction formats. Much like you can't copyright anything deemed to be simple, like a single word or a scientific fact.

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 11:29:56 PM »
They are just protecting their logos, trademarks and specific show format. Not the concept of a reaction video. They are franchising their model to allow Germans to do a German version, The Japanese to do a Japanese version etc etc. They will not be able to enforce 'legal control' of reaction formats. Much like you can't copyright anything deemed to be simple, like a single word or a scientific fact.

I don't know, man. What they're doing seems awfully excessive and like a major infringement on other people's works.

This video is just the start of it, too. They've done much more, and much worse.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 11:32:59 PM by Lonesome Crow »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 12:50:57 AM »
They will not be able to enforce 'legal control' of reaction formats. Much like you can't copyright anything deemed to be simple, like a single word or a scientific fact.
That doesn't mean they can't try (and succeed). With patent/copyright trolls, most cases are settled out of court.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 10:48:29 AM »
Ahhh, the rotten corporate stench of corrupt and greedy cunts. Delightful.
The Mastery.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 07:56:19 AM »
They're really stupid. Given the long history of resistance to licensing shenanigans on YouTube by YouTube users, I would have thought they'd have anticipated this reaction. If they had instead just announced "Reaction World" without mentioning any of the copyright stuff, they may have gotten away with it. But as soon as you mention "license" and "My content" in one video, you're going to invoke a holy inquisition on your butthole.

I found it incredibly annoying that they kept talking about their precious "brands" and "properties". If someone infringes on your videos, handle it behind the scenes. YouTubers already have a deep hatred of restricted content. Why would you try to go against the grain like that?

But it doesn't matter anymore. They've retracted their copyrights. And now they're screwed because everyone hates them and they're a meme.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 08:10:42 AM »
lol, they lost so many subscribers. I hope they suffer.
The Mastery.

Thork

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 11:24:40 AM »

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 12:05:17 PM »
They've only released one written "apology" (which was probably written by a PR guy). It's full of beating-around-the-bush bullshit intended to make them look like decent people, but it's too late.

TheFineBros messed up big time.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 03:09:26 PM by Lonesome Crow »

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 03:41:19 PM »
They make videos for literal 12 year old girls. Most of them won't care or even notice.

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 03:45:34 PM »
They make videos for literal 12 year old girls. Most of them won't care or even notice.

Regardless, they've got a sizeable amount of subscribers who give a shit, and over 300,000 of them have abandoned the channel.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 04:54:23 PM »
Is that dude's eyes trying to run away from each other? Dafuq is going on

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 05:38:12 PM »
Is that dude's eyes trying to run away from each other? Dafuq is going on

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 12:25:45 AM »
I just checked, and TheFineBros have lost 500,000 subscribers in the span of four or five days.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 03:08:46 AM by Lonesome Crow »

Thork

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 10:39:46 AM »
Only another 13 million left then. I don't think they are going to starve.

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 11:50:20 AM »
Only another 13 million left then. I don't think they are going to starve.

You have to wonder how many of those accounts are actually active, though.