Max_Almond

PLEASE READ THIS FIRST BEFORE COMMENTING:

In this thread, I'm not here to debunk, or pick apart, or provide counter-evidence for the claim, and I'd like it if others did the same.

What I'm looking for is the best piece of evidence that "the horizon is always at eye level".

I have looked in the wiki, but there aren't any photos or videos there, just words.

Photos or videos is what I need.

It's for an upcoming discussion with a flat earther. I've asked him to bring his best evidence, but I'm worried it won't be the best possible evidence. So I thought I'd try and find some for him.

My only responses will be something along the lines of: "thank you"; or "have you got anything from a higher altitude?"; or "have you get anything with any indicators or measurements in it?" And I'd like it if other debunkers stuck to this sort of thing - i.e., do what they can to help me find a good piece of flat earth evidence to support this claim, rather than dissecting the not so good ones.

Cheers. :)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 05:55:25 PM by Max_Almond »

Offline stack

• View Profile
Re: What is the best evidence that "the horizon always remains at eye level"?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 08:37:11 AM »
First off: I'm not here to debunk it, or pick it apart, or provide counter-evidence, and I'd like it if others did the same.

What I want is the best piece of evidence that "the horizon is always at eye level".

I have looked in the wiki, but there aren't any photos or videos there, just words.

It's for an upcoming discussion with a flat earther. I've asked him to bring his best evidence, but I'm worried it won't be the best possible evidence. So I thought I'd try and find some for him.

My only responses will be something along the lines of: "thank you"; or "have you got anything from a higher altitude?"; or "have you get anything with any indicators or measurements in it?" And I'd like it if other debunkers stuck to this sort of thing - i.e., do what they can to help me find a good piece of flat earth evidence to support this claim, rather than dissecting the not so good ones.

This gem from the wiki doesn't suffice?

"Another easy experiment you can do for yourself to demonstrate this effect is find a computer game which can render large 3D maps. Move your character to one end of the map, center your crosshair on the line of the horizon, and turn on noclip. Without moving the mouse, ascend in height and notice how the line of the horizon will stay centered on the crosshair until you run out of land to see.
This simulated perspective effect is enough to satisfy the observer as to its workings and should be apparent and visible in most modern computer games."

Essentially, GTA/Minecrafting one's way to a flat earth.

Here's one I always found interesting that may help, Globebusters:

Max_Almond

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 09:39:33 AM »
Thank you Stack, that is interesting. They seem to be saying that the horizon is at eye level but we can't see it because it disappears at a certain elevation/distance (Jeran cites 'science' as telling us we can't see the "real horizon" after we're more than a thousand feet up).

I guess the goalposts have shifted somewhat since the days of Rowbotham, Winship, and Piccard.

That was helpful - but was there a 'proof' in that video? Or just discussion on the topic?

Someone else sent me this:

It's a nice water level experiment, but done almost exactly at sea level. To that I replied:

"Thank you. Have you got anything from a higher altitude?"

I guess going by your kindly supplied information, Stack, the "higher altitude" will have to be less than 1000 feet.

PS I hear ya on the wiki but let's keep our focus. ;)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:44:01 AM by Max_Almond »

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 10:24:29 AM »
Thank you Stack, that is interesting. They seem to be saying that the horizon is at eye level but we can't see it because it disappears at a certain elevation/distance (Jeran cites 'science' as telling us we can't see the "real horizon" after we're more than a thousand feet up).

I guess the goalposts have shifted somewhat since the days of Rowbotham, Winship, and Piccard.

That was helpful - but was there a 'proof' in that video? Or just discussion on the topic?

I guess going by your kindly supplied information, Stack, the "higher altitude" will have to be less than 1000 feet.

PS I hear ya on the wiki but let's keep our focus. ;)

More of a discussion by globebusters. Something I found when Bobby was doing his experiments (Shafto disproving the notion). And yeah, the 'sciency' sub-1000' only, "you're not seeing the real horizon" business isn't in the ironclad territory. It's the best I found a ways back. It's hard to find anything that really provides "proofs" from the FE community on this topic.

And yeah, I just found the wiki bit in the realm of comedy. Perhaps best not to provide that to your friend as source material.

Max_Almond

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 10:45:56 AM »
I wonder what Jeran is talking about when he says "science tells us we can't see the real horizon from more than a thousand feet"? What his 'source' is for that? (Assuming there is one.)

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 03:52:21 PM »
If you watch a ship go in a straight line you see it go over the horizon. If it is flat then where does the ship go?

Max_Almond

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 05:38:53 PM »
Gents, just a gentle reminder that this thread is asking "what is the best photographic or video evidence that the horizon always remains at eye level?"

Have a read of the first post again; if it's not worded clearly enough, please feel free to message me and I'll sort it out. I know I'm not always the best in my clarity.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 05:57:01 PM by Max_Almond »

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 12:26:48 PM »

Someone else sent me this:  VID  It's a nice water level experiment, but done almost exactly at sea level. To that I replied:

"Thank you. Have you got anything from a higher altitude?"

There's this one

=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.
=============================

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Max_Almond

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 12:32:53 PM »
Huh? How is that evidence to support the claim that "the horizon always rises the eye level"?

Offline Venus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2018, 09:28:51 AM »
PLEASE READ THIS FIRST BEFORE COMMENTING:

In this thread, I'm not here to debunk, or pick apart, or provide counter-evidence for the claim, and I'd like it if others did the same.

What I'm looking for is the best piece of evidence that "the horizon is always at eye level".

Wolfie6020 is a pilot with QANTAS and flies all around the world ... his videos are well done and explain things very simply
In this video he was a passenger flying home to Australia from LAX.
It very clearly shows that the horizon does NOT rise to eye level!
Enjoy!
Because I live on the 'bottom' of a spinning spherical earth ...
*I cannot see Polaris, but I can see the Southern Cross
*When I look at the stars they appear to rotate clockwise, not anti-clockwise
*I see the moon 'upside down'
I've travelled to the Northern Hemisphere numerous times ... and seen how different the stars and the moon are 'up' there!
Come on down and check it out FE believers... !!

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2018, 02:48:39 PM »
Venus, please read the OP. You even quoted it in its entirety in your response. If you can't post on topic, refrain from posting.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume