Offline rooster

• View Profile
Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #500 on: August 21, 2017, 03:58:51 AM »
That episode sucked. These writers clearly don't know what they're doing without GRRM.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: August 21, 2017, 03:48:50 PM »
I liked it just for the spectacle, but there's no doubt that it's a narrative mess. Like, Gendry runs back to the Wall, sends a raven to Dany, and Dany shows up with her dragons, all in the space of...a night? Maybe a day and a night? And it really bugged me that the episode kept changing its mind about how many redshirts were part of the expedition. We'd clearly see in an establishing shot that there were only two or three, who then get killed, but later on a few more appear out of thin air so that they can get killed too.

But the real issue is, again, Arya and Sansa. Arya is angry about nothing. Absolutely nothing. It's plot-mandated angst. I get that Littlefinger is apparently trying to pit them against each other, but Arya's baffling stupidity is doing virtually all of the work here. Have they forgotten that they literally have access to a near-omniscient godchild who could easily clear this whole issue up for them?
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

« Reply #502 on: August 22, 2017, 08:46:36 PM »
i hated the last episode.  i hate faux-suspense.  it was like 70 minutes of oh they're almost dead oh now they're REALLY almost dead omg now they're SO CLOSE to being dead holy shit look how close to death they all are i wonder if they can get any closer to death OH WOW SO CLOSE TO DEATH NOW I WONDER IF THEY'LL MAKE IT

[insert deus ex machina here]

OMG THEY MADE IT WHEW CLOSE ONE
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #503 on: August 24, 2017, 08:13:29 PM »
Ah well, maybe this is going to be Lotr 2.0 after all. What a silly episode.

« Reply #504 on: August 28, 2017, 02:01:54 PM »
cleganebowl confirmed
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: August 28, 2017, 03:40:20 PM »
I was so convinced that the show was committed to Arya and Sansa's stupid enmity that the "twist" took me by surprise. I don't think the resolution quite justifies every dopey scene the two of them had together (Was it all a long con? Did they only realize what was going on at the last second?), but the end result was satisfying enough.

« Reply #506 on: August 28, 2017, 09:25:13 PM »
i felt similarly.  i was satisfied that sansa and arya were both as smart and united as they ought to be, but i was was annoyed that the entirety of the winterfell plot was a season-long red herring. 

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #507 on: August 29, 2017, 05:37:30 PM »
i felt similarly.  i was satisfied that sansa and arya were both as smart and united as they ought to be, but i was was annoyed that the entirety of the winterfell plot was a season-long red herring.
Same. There was really no need for it. She could have charged him with murder and treason before going through all that bullshit.

I do enjoy things finally progressing, but over all it was pretty underwhelming. I'm sure next season will be interesting with the White Walkers now finally through the Wall.
But I miss the books. D&D are shit writers. The dialogue sucks. The characters are now super shallow and my favorites - Varys, Tyrion, and Littlefinger (RIP) are but a shadow of their former selves.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: August 29, 2017, 08:17:09 PM »
I feel like I need to watch all those scenes with Arya, Sansa, and Littlefinger over again just to see if this resolution even makes sense. It was a fun scene though. I definitely think the show has lost something with Benioff and Weiss not having the books as a guide, even though I really did think last season was the best in the show's run.

The Wall coming down was pretty epic.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: August 29, 2017, 08:37:18 PM »
There are too many characters and too many plot threads to resolve them all properly in the limited time left, even with the major simplifications from the books. Shortening the seasons hasn't paid off if its main benefit was to give each episode more of a budget. The show doesn't need more money, it needs more time to tell the story.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #510 on: August 31, 2017, 01:41:21 PM »
I feel like I need to watch all those scenes with Arya, Sansa, and Littlefinger over again just to see if this resolution even makes sense.
It doesn't. Apparently a scene was taken out where Sansa goes to Bran asking for help and Bran tells her everything about Littlefinger.

So all that tension and the death threat between the two sisters was for real. Fucking awful.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: September 02, 2017, 02:47:12 AM »
I was right about the undead dragon and Jon/Dany. Too bad my "Littlefinger wins" prediction is sunk.

Also, for such a long-running Character, the run-up to Littlefinger's death is pretty fast. Hardly any dramatic tension. Just a sort of "you're dead now lol" given from the show.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: September 02, 2017, 03:35:25 AM »
I was right about the undead dragon and Jon/Dany.

Those two details were leaked over a year ago.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: September 02, 2017, 04:15:34 PM »
For such a huge production, HBO seems to let GoT leak pretty easily.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: September 04, 2017, 12:50:01 AM »
I was right about the undead dragon and Jon/Dany.

Those two details were leaked over a year ago.

How is that relevant? I don't keep up with leaks.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #515 on: September 04, 2017, 06:41:55 PM »
Okay, but I think everyone kinda knew about Jon and Dany. They're basically Ice and Fire. Plus, they're two big players, both attractive, and around the same age. You didn't have to know about any leaks to see that one coming.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: September 08, 2017, 02:59:29 PM »
Also, I'm watching Westworld now. It's pretty good so far.

Rama Set

« Reply #517 on: May 16, 2018, 01:34:04 PM »
I just watched Season 7 and enjoyed it. I never thought the show was great, so it's quality remained about the same for me.  Some fun characters, some good action and some bewbs (less this season :()

I can see it now:

One, or all of Dany's dragons are going to die. One will likely die fighting the nightking and be turned into some kind of undead ice dragon. It will then fight the other two, likely killing all three in the process.

Dany and Jon are going to get married. Probably after they find out they're related. Dany is already suspicious of Jon because her dragon obviously liked him, something that wouldn't occur were he a normal human.

Jon is fireproof, at some point he'll probably get stuck in a fire with Dany and all of Emilia Clarke's clothes will come right off (oh no!)

The Lord of Light is some kind of dragon god.

And my favorite: Cersei gets eaten by a dragon.

Edit: also something really bugs me about the whole half-dragon thing of the Targaryen ever explained? How is it that they're half-dragon? I'm betting the Lord of Light gave them this ability somehow, otherwise we have to assume the biological route, which is, uhh, well it's better than the incest I guess.

Rushy is the Three-Eyed Raven.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 12, 2019, 08:10:44 AM »
Get ready lads and lasses.

Offline Cain

• This is the line of division.
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: April 12, 2019, 10:07:38 AM »
My body is ready for the deluge of subpar episodes.
You just made my list, buddy.  >:(
this world does not have room for another mind as intelligent as yours.