Ghost of V

Re: Now Playing (the Video Game Version)
« Reply #320 on: September 17, 2014, 12:36:26 AM »
Are you stalking me? Last week I said that same thing, word for word, on Facebook after being accused of excessive edge.

They actually called me The Edge in elementary school for that very reason. A lot of people (usually people who don't know much about the ES community) seem to think that mods just "don't count" when considering the quality of the game, when they are actually integral. Yes, this means consoles get Diet Elder Scrolls Lite, which is a shame. For every ES game since Morrowind, the process has been this: Bethesda tries to make the game, breaks down when they realize once again that they're terrible developers, and tearfully shoves the incomplete or broken game out the door saying "here, you do it." The modding community then dusts it off and says "there, there, Bethesda. You did your best," and makes it all better. It's a pretty unique development model; I can't think of any other developer that operates in the same way, but it works well.

How quickly we forget. Lay off the pot.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 17, 2014, 12:39:01 AM »
tfw I get rekt Saddam quick change the subject with your retarted opinions
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #322 on: September 17, 2014, 01:05:09 AM »
tfw I get rekt Saddam quick change the subject with your retarted opinions

Morrowind is a great game.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 17, 2014, 01:06:39 AM »
Epic. So tell us what's wrong with Bungie.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 17, 2014, 01:22:15 AM »
They made Halo.
The Mastery.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 17, 2014, 01:35:39 AM »
Yes, an excellent series.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 17, 2014, 01:52:13 AM »
lol
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #327 on: September 17, 2014, 01:52:18 AM »
Bungie supports mass murder. You get a special token for buying the game if you are in the service.

They are murderers by proxy and are downright evil because of it. I will never support them or what they do.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 17, 2014, 02:53:30 AM »
Vauxhall, you better change your opinion fast, before I murder you by proxy.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 17, 2014, 02:59:15 PM »
Vauxhall, you better change your opinion fast, before I murder you by proxy.
Aw, go play some Kingdom Hearts to calm youself down you adorable man, you.

Ghost of V

« Reply #330 on: October 30, 2014, 10:58:10 PM »

Fantasy Life. I've been playing this game since launch. It came out maybe 4 days ago and I already have 25+ hours in it. It was developed by Level 5, with music by Nobuo Uetmatsu, and concept art by Yoshitaka Amano (both of Final Fantasy fame).

It's the closest thing to Jrpg sandbox you can get without feeling like an endless grind. You live in a sandbox world, fight monsters, can buy houses in different cities, get pets and followers, do randomly generated NPC quests, and generally just do whatever the hell you want. There's a main storyline quest, but it can be completed at the player's convenience.

The game actually reminds me of a somewhat simpler Elder Scrolls title, but with admittedly overly cute art style and simpler (but still better) combat.

The basic essence of the game is picking a Life (which is just a Job class,  similar to early Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest) and leveling to make more stuff, get stronger, etc. You can increase your basic stats however you want after each level up. There are 12 different Life classes: Paladin, Mercenary, Hunter, Mage, Woodcutter, Carpenter, Miner, Blacksmith, Tailor, Alchemist, Fisherman, and Cook. You can take on any Life and switch between them at will. Each Life compliments another Life  somehow, so its good to mix and match but the game is so open ended that it can be completed by just playing a single Life the whole time. The world is pretty large and very colorful, and the fast travel system makes exploring it a breeze.

I'd say it's worth the $40 but there is also an $8 expansion pack. The use of already on cartridge DLC is a bit off putting, but it does add a considerably amount of content to the base game as a whole (new items, followers, pets, areas, monsters, quests, skills, etc).

From an already biased standpoint: 9/10.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:07:31 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Vongeo

• I don't get it either
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 30, 2014, 11:12:49 PM »
I thought JRPG's were categorized by having no choice in how to play them.
Maple syrup was a kind of candy, made from the blood of trees.

Ghost of V

« Reply #332 on: October 30, 2014, 11:19:41 PM »
I thought JRPG's were categorized by having no choice in how to play them.

Not really. JRPGs are usually categorized by their art style, content, battle systems, and whether they were made in Japan or not. Many are notorious for having linear gameplay, like most of the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest series, but more recent games, like DQ 8 & 9 for example, break the mold with more open-ended gameplay.

Fantasy Life is a JRPG, but it's a very fresh twist on the formula and has many  similar elements to western RPGs and MMORPGs.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 08, 2014, 01:33:32 AM »
Just finished Wolfenstein: The New Order. I liked it.
The Mastery.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 08, 2014, 01:42:24 AM »
Just finished Wolfenstein: The New Order. I liked it.

I opened Steam after reading this and sure enough, it presented me with a 50% off Wolfenstein: The New Order ad. Now, I'm curious, did you buy it because it was on sale through Steam? Otherwise, I'll have to assume Steam is going a bit too hardcore with their ad targeting.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 08, 2014, 02:43:22 AM »
I bought it because it's a Wolfenstein game and I wanted to play it. I don't remember if it was on sale at the time though. It was a while back.
The Mastery.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 08, 2014, 02:45:40 AM »
I bought it because it's a Wolfenstein game and I wanted to play it. I don't remember if it was on sale at the time though. It was a while back.

Okay, whelp, I'll have to assume Steam is watching me a bit too thoroughly. I bought it anyway, though.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 23, 2014, 01:33:39 AM »

EVE has always had excellent trailers, but they've always been very cinematic and lacking in any similarity to actual gameplay. Finally they've produced one that focuses on the best part of EVE: running ops with a good corporation. I think it's the second best EVE trailer yet, second only to this one:

« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 02:06:14 AM by Particle Person »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #338 on: November 25, 2014, 10:58:51 PM »
What's wrong with Halo meets Borderlands? What shit does Bungie need to be called out on? Their last game was Halo: Reach, which most consider to be an excellent game.

Reach was a good return to form for the Halo series, yes.  Prior to that, every game in the franchise had been steadily declining in quality.  They all had the same flaws, which became more and more pronounced with every new game.  I could make a list of them.  In fact, I will make a list of them:

• Excessive padding of game levels.  Not that they gave you more things to do in missions or anything, no, they just stretched out the physical terrain so you had to spend a lot more time traveling.
  • Overuse of the tedious-and-frustrating-to-fight Flood as antagonists, even when their presence made no sense.
  • Notoriously stupid AI for allies, so much so that they aren't just useless, they're actually a hindrace.  What especially pisses me off about this one is that Bungie was obviously keeping them dumb on purpose.  I honestly suspect that it was their idea of a joke.
  • Atrocious writing, which isn't unusual for video games, but this series is interesting in how it deftly combines the worst elements of both highbrow and lowbrow culture.  The dialogue is mostly made up of jingoistic "oorah" horseshit and terrible, painful quips that make markjo look witty and clever.  And then Bungie tries to convince us that no, they're really "deep" and smart by randomly quoting from the Bible and throwing the most transparently-pretentious pseudo-philosophical crap ever at us.

I admit that this is mostly personal and fueled by nostalgic love of the original.  From my perspective, Bungie took a wonderful childhood memory of mine and went George Lucas all over it, so I am very bitter.  Anyway, part of what made Reach so good was that Bungie toned down or averted all of the elements I listed above.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 11:02:13 PM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 25, 2014, 11:16:01 PM »
No, "padding" of game levels did not worsen with each new entry. Campaign levels actually became more concise with each new game. Let's not forget Silent Cartographer (the map which required you to backtrack and circle around an island several times), Assault on the Control Room (which required you to traverse millions of identical hallways and rooms), Halo (which involved about 20 minutes of driving, and if you somehow lost your warthog you were fucked), Two Betrayals (Assault on the Control Room again, but backwards and with flood everywhere, great fucking idea), The Library (even worse than AotCR in terms of repetition and apparent length, because unlike AotCR, it wasn't fun. Also, flood). Halo 2 and 3 had maps like this as well, but not nearly as many. I like most of these maps a lot, because I don't think that what you consider "padding" is necessarily a bad thing.

Regarding the flood, Halo CE had more of them than any other entry in the series. There are five levels dedicated to them, which is half of the campaign. I don't remember how many levels in 2/3 were flood levels, but it was definitely a lesser or equal amount.

Ally AI, while always endearingly dumb, certainly never got any worse. How long has it been since you've played any of these games?