« Reply #2000 on: June 02, 2019, 10:12:45 AM »
Captain Feminism was bad. Just bad.
The Mastery.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: Just Watched
« Reply #2001 on: June 30, 2019, 10:11:42 AM »
All I have to say about Jazzy Cat's Jeans season 3 so far: Cello scene, lmao.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: July 01, 2019, 05:22:15 PM »
One Punch Man - season 1 and some of 2.

I like 2 better than 1.  Its a parody and it has its moments but it felt kinda dull as the monsters basically just get one shotted.  The second half of 1 was definitely better as it focused on the side characters more.

And I like season 2's existential crisis with being too powerful to feel anything.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Rama Set

« Reply #2003 on: July 02, 2019, 12:54:44 AM »
And I like season 2's existential crisis with being too powerful to feel anything.

So... “Man of Steel”?

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: July 02, 2019, 07:50:19 AM »
I really enjoyed the first season of One-Punch Man. Haven't seen the second yet, I'm guessing it didn't come to UK Netflix like the first because the licence changed when the production moved studios from Madhouse to JC Staff.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: July 03, 2019, 12:30:23 AM »
Spider-Man: Far from Home was garbage. Which is amazing. You put in Mysterio, my favorite Spidey villain, and Jake Gyllenhaal, my favorite actor, and you somehow manage to botch it. Impressive. Really impressive.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: July 03, 2019, 09:41:49 AM »
I really enjoyed the first season of One-Punch Man. Haven't seen the second yet, I'm guessing it didn't come to UK Netflix like the first because the licence changed when the production moved studios from Madhouse to JC Staff.

Crunch roll is airing it now as its still running in japan.  Up to episode 12 i think.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: July 05, 2019, 08:19:40 PM »
Spider-Man: Far from Home was garbage. Which is amazing. You put in Mysterio, my favorite Spidey villain, and Jake Gyllenhaal, my favorite actor, and you somehow manage to botch it. Impressive. Really impressive.

How does it feel to be ridiculously wrong tho?

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: July 06, 2019, 01:09:43 AM »
How does it feel to be ridiculously wrong tho?

The movie was a soulless, thoroughly uninteresting and amazingly predictable blockbuster. Literally the first trailer gives away the entire story, and they tried to be ""clever"" with the story while really just taking the most easy, predictable, generic route with it. Nobody's really changed or evolved much as a person or character from the start to finish, since for Peter most of the movie is just being a selfish, whiny kid—and not in an interesting, deconstructive way or a way that gives us any deeper understanding of the character. The romance between him and MJ is laughably thin and not helped by garbage dialog. The plot is paper thin and constantly just hands responsibilities off to deus ex machina so it doesn't have to naturally evolve or cleverly tie up any loose ends (or anything, really). There's no discernible interesting overarching themes other than those they spell out for you, Mysterio is horrendously underutilized, as a generic, predictable baddy who is mad at his boss and lashes out; his "fights" with the Elementals were understandably generic and bland since it was him just being a movie star, basically, but when those are basically all we get to see of Mysterio doing shit, that's no longer understandable; we get one or two interesting scenes with him and his manipulation of people and taking advantage of their fears, and then our big bad final fight with MYSTERIO is...a...shootout? Just...drones shooting at Peter? That's it?

Like, I'm a big gurl and I'm cool with not having the same opinion of others, but it baffles me how anyone has loved this movie. Of all the criticisms of the MCU being big, cut-and-paste, dry blockbusters steeped in quip sauce...this one is, by far, the most guilty. I went in just expecting an "ok" Marvel movie and to get an eyeful of my favorite Spidey villain and his visually and thematically interesting skillset, and I still came out incredibly let down. I'm glad you like it (I'd rather people enjoy things), I just don't get it at all.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: July 06, 2019, 09:23:54 PM »
The movie was a soulless, thoroughly uninteresting and amazingly predictable blockbuster.
Saying things like "soulless" is nothing more than a meme trope criticism. It literally can be said and argued about any movie ever created. Predictable, sure. Every Marvel movie is predictable.

Literally the first trailer gives away the entire story, and they tried to be ""clever"" with the story while really just taking the most easy, predictable, generic route with it.
The trailer absolutely doesn't give it away, as predictable as it may be. I am not sure what you mean by trying to be "clever;" it was rather straightforward.

Nobody's really changed or evolved much as a person or character from the start to finish, since for Peter most of the movie is just being a selfish, whiny kid—and not in an interesting, deconstructive way or a way that gives us any deeper understanding of the character. The romance between him and MJ is laughably thin and not helped by garbage dialog.
How much could they evolve if they spent 5 years snapped and it was basically a few months in their time? Maybe I am misunderstanding what you mean. Outside of the core Avengers, no one really evolves in these movies. Also, it is literally about angsty high school kids and their relationships. Real life teens are much more of a meme with relationships than we see depicted in this film. Honestly, I am not even sure what your expectations are here.

The plot is paper thin and constantly just hands responsibilities off to deus ex machina so it doesn't have to naturally evolve or cleverly tie up any loose ends (or anything, really).

Yes, welcome to the MCU and Tony Stark's Spider-Man saga. This film wasn't even as bad about it as its predecessor since Tony is dead.

There's no discernible interesting overarching themes other than those they spell out for you, Mysterio is horrendously underutilized, as a generic, predictable baddy who is mad at his boss and lashes out; his "fights" with the Elementals were understandably generic and bland since it was him just being a movie star, basically, but when those are basically all we get to see of Mysterio doing shit, that's no longer understandable; we get one or two interesting scenes with him and his manipulation of people and taking advantage of their fears, and then our big bad final fight with MYSTERIO is...a...shootout? Just...drones shooting at Peter? That's it?
I still don't know what you expected. Every Marvel movie is about an inch deep thematically. Shifting that to a high school kid isn't going to magically turn the movie into Citizen Kane... Mysterio's character was far more interesting than previous comic and animated iterations I have seen. Maybe you have seen some stuff I haven't.

Like, I'm a big gurl and I'm cool with not having the same opinion of others, but it baffles me how anyone has loved this movie.
Did anyone love it? It was Spider-Man, and it was cool, because it is Spider-Man. If you want real character development and depth, then play through the game on PS4. It seems like the 30-hour game has what you were expecting from a 2-hour movie.

Of all the criticisms of the MCU being big, cut-and-paste, dry blockbusters steeped in quip sauce...this one is, by far, the most guilty. I went in just expecting an "ok" Marvel movie and to get an eyeful of my favorite Spidey villain and his visually and thematically interesting skillset, and I still came out incredibly let down. I'm glad you like it (I'd rather people enjoy things), I just don't get it at all.
No offense, but I don't think there was anything they could have done to make you like it. It is a Spidey movie, not a Mysterio movie. It was fun, and mostly forgettable (just like the majority of Marvel movies).

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2010 on: July 07, 2019, 02:07:45 AM »
Saying things like "soulless" is nothing more than a meme trope criticism. It literally can be said and argued about any movie ever created.

Literally anything can be said about literally any movie ever created. I could be wrong but sounds like you're saying I shouldn't bring my subjective opinions to a discussion about a movie. Personally, if I were you and had a problem with the use of that word and was interested in having a discussion about something, I would have asked for clarification on what was meant by it but, sure, I guess just saying "thats a dumb meme" and moving on works too.

Predictable, sure. Every Marvel movie is predictable.

First, sure, but that's not really a defense of the film as much as just a statement. If the general discussion was "Far from Home is worse than most MCU films" then yeah, but I'm talking about it as its own film. I don't really try to judge movies relative to others. B, I don't agree. On a super broad scale of "you know the bad guy will lose", sure, but on the level of basically being able to run a play-by-play in real-time with the film I definitely don't think so. Scene to scene I could basically tell everything they were going to do, I mouthed a few lines of dialogue out as characters said them because the dialogue was so bland and full of tropes and recycled lines that you could probably give the script a once-over and recite it verbatim (that's hyperbole, of course). Most Marvel films I'd say, sure, you likely have some general idea what's going to happen, but there tend to be moment-to-moment surprises, even if they're not massive plot twists. Plot is a lot more intricate than synopses; you can have an overall-predictable plot that's written well enough and cleverly enough that the moment-to-moment dialogue and actions aren't rote and predictable. That's where I feel like most Marvel movies lie. I feel like this one isn't even there.

The trailer absolutely doesn't give it away, as predictable as it may be. I am not sure what you mean by trying to be "clever;" it was rather straightforward.

I added "if you know the character" intentionally, since all you need to know is Mysterio is about illusion and trickery and you've already figured out "oh, all the elementals are fake, illusions he made, and he's just trying to look like a hero". Where they tried to be "clever" with it was, in the trailers, making it look like he was a hero in this interpretation and the Elementals were the villains.

Yes, welcome to the MCU and Tony Stark's Spider-Man saga. This film wasn't even as bad about it as its predecessor since Tony is dead.

Sounds like we're on the same page here.

How much could they evolve if they spent 5 years snapped and it was basically a few months in their time? Maybe I am misunderstanding what you mean. Outside of the core Avengers, no one really evolves in these movies. Also, it is literally about angsty high school kids and their relationships. Real life teens are much more of a meme with relationships than we see depicted in this film. Honestly, I am not even sure what your expectations are here.

I'm talking about their evolution in their movies, not during the Blip. Character arcs and development is a core conceit of filmmaking. I 100% absolutely disagree that nobody really evolves in these movies, even if the evolution can be rather standard. Even a blander film (from a critical standpoint) like Doctor Strange has him evolve from a wealthy, selfish egotist to finding passion in something and realizing that he does care about saving people. He starts out barely acknowledging other people and constantly talking about himself to listening, finding some level of humility (though certainly still cocky) and letting people in. His worldview is pretty literally expanded. His changes are not only referenced by plot, but shown in his dialogue (for one extremely small and specific example, the fact that he expected things of others early on without any response on his part, then later on would actually thank people for things), the way he carries himself, the way he acts around others, and through his actions. I picked Doctor Strange because I enjoyed the movie but I think it was, artistically, kinda mediocre and shares a number of problems with Far from Home, but I still think it did a much better job with the basics at the very least.

If there was a movie that had a toddler in it and thirty minutes of the movie was the toddler screaming and pooping on the floor, it may be realistic but that doesn't make it a better movie. Real-life dialogue and conversations are generally not very interesting or creative, at least not the majority of the time, either; hence why I didn't complain that people spoke in too grandiose a manner or that conversations weren't meandering enough.

I still don't know what you expected. Every Marvel movie is about an inch deep thematically. Shifting that to a high school kid isn't going to magically turn the movie into Citizen Kane... Mysterio's character was far more interesting than previous comic and animated iterations I have seen. Maybe you have seen some stuff I haven't.

Similar to above, I hugely disagree. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, another MCU film I'm not a big fan of, explores the concept and idea of family in an amazingly organic way. We've already seen how similarly-dysfunctional people can be brought together in the first, but the sequel then digs a little deeper into that concept, the whole movie having him search for his biological father, feeling like it would fill some hole in his heart of an incomplete family, only to realize at the very end that blood isn't what's important and that, in this case, Yondu was more of a father than Ego ever could have been. It explores the concept with Nebula and Gamora as well, their relationship as sisters and their relationship with their, uh, "adopted father".

And I'm curious what makes him more interesting in this than previous iterations to you, since the movie Beck is basically just any generic Mysterio from the comics, just underutilized and with way fewer interesting scenes and abilities. In a good Mysterio appearance, in the comics, he's almost the Marvel equivalent of Scarecrow, though infinitely more flashy. He either uses his illusions to distract and confuse his foes, or he uses them to create nightmarish dreamscapes forged of their own mind (so he'd have them think; in reality, it's all tech [generally]), a chance for the hero to confront the dark side of themselves them and grow from it. Not...I dunno...sicing drones on his foe and having a shootout.

Did anyone love it? It was Spider-Man, and it was cool, because it is Spider-Man. If you want real character development and depth, then play through the game on PS4. It seems like the 30-hour game has what you were expecting from a 2-hour movie.

Yeah. While the overall critical response was "it's pretty good but flawed", audience response has been much higher; you can go read reviews online, if a Marvel movie comes out there's always going to be a lot of people that love it, just statistically. I mostly intended that statement to refer to friends and coworkers I've spoken to.

I played Spider-Man PS4 release date. It was very good and enjoyed it. While I appreciate all the assumptions of what I wanted and expected of the film, I've basically been telling you this entire time what I wanted from it—I assume you're interested in a discussion and not just "winning", given the effort in your response, so if you want clarification on anything all you have to do is ask. Which you get in responses, so I feel you're being a little hasty in being so dismissive. You also seem to be arguing (and I could be way off) less that this movie was decent and more that I shouldn't like other MCU movies, which doesn't have much to do with the quality of this movie. Of course, I just explained why I don't think it's the same as other MCU films so I do look forward to hearing your thoughts rather than assuming and pre-emptively dismissing them. :] I thought I made it pretty clear my expectations weren't very high before the film. Had it the depth of the game I'd be super happy with that, obviously, but I expected it to have the depth of...most okay-to-decent movies, ones that tend to accomplish more than this film in 3/4 the runtime.

No offense, but I don't think there was anything they could have done to make you like it. It is a Spidey movie, not a Mysterio movie. It was fun, and mostly forgettable (just like the majority of Marvel movies).

I mean if you just take a few of my critiques and don't do those, that's what they would've had to have done to make me like it. Saying "I don't think there was anything they could have done to make you like it" is nothing more than a meme trope response. It can literally be used in every movie discussion ever. lol jk, but, for real, it's a bizarre answer that seems to insinuate you (contrary to saying you don't understand what I expected several times) very thoroughly know my expectations and what I want from a movie. Especially when my post was all about what I wanted from the movie. I like most of the MCU films. I didn't expect a Mysterio movie, but I don't think it's absurd of me to expect a character to be interesting. Batman Begins used a B-list Batman villain interestingly, and he had half the screen-time of this one. I mean damn they could've just given me a flashier Scarecrow with a fishbowl head and it would've been a way more interesting use of character than watching fishbowl-head spin around in a cloud of green dust while shooting lasers for 90% of his scenes in-character. Ant-Man had one of the most laughably bad Marvel villains but at least it used his abilities in interesting and varied ways. Even Homecoming kept putting Vulture in constantly differing situations so that he'd have to use his suit and general moveset creatively, like on the boat or in the warehouse and on the plane. I didn't want a ton from the movie, I just wanted it to be interesting in some way, to bring more than the absolute bare minimum to the table, and sometimes just nothing at all.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: July 07, 2019, 04:57:24 AM »
Okay, there is a lot to unpack here...

Literally anything can be said about literally any movie ever created. I could be wrong but sounds like you're saying I shouldn't bring my subjective opinions to a discussion about a movie. Personally, if I were you and had a problem with the use of that word and was interested in having a discussion about something, I would have asked for clarification on what was meant by it but, sure, I guess just saying "thats a dumb meme" and moving on works too.
Yes, literally anything can be. However, criticisms of media tend to include arguments and examples to reinforce those arguments. So, yes you should bring your subjective opinions, but maybe build an actual argument first if you are going to play critic. If you are going to churn out a lazy critique then I am not going to put in the effort to ask you to clarify your lack of effort. Your first post about the movie was a reasonable and generalized take on why you didn't like it. I gave a meme reply about you being wrong, and then you replied with a bunch of empty phrases used in a 100-level film critique course.

First, sure, but that's not really a defense of the film as much as just a statement. If the general discussion was "Far from Home is worse than most MCU films" then yeah, but I'm talking about it as its own film. I don't really try to judge movies relative to others. B, I don't agree. On a super broad scale of "you know the bad guy will lose", sure, but on the level of basically being able to run a play-by-play in real-time with the film I definitely don't think so. Scene to scene I could basically tell everything they were going to do, I mouthed a few lines of dialogue out as characters said them because the dialogue was so bland and full of tropes and recycled lines that you could probably give the script a once-over and recite it verbatim (that's hyperbole, of course). Most Marvel films I'd say, sure, you likely have some general idea what's going to happen, but there tend to be moment-to-moment surprises, even if they're not massive plot twists. Plot is a lot more intricate than synopses; you can have an overall-predictable plot that's written well enough and cleverly enough that the moment-to-moment dialogue and actions aren't rote and predictable. That's where I feel like most Marvel movies lie. I feel like this one isn't even there.
I don't actually believe you were reciting lines with the characters, but this is a more believable criticism overall even if it isn't actually addressing any specifics of the movie.

I added "if you know the character" intentionally, since all you need to know is Mysterio is about illusion and trickery and you've already figured out "oh, all the elementals are fake, illusions he made, and he's just trying to look like a hero". Where they tried to be "clever" with it was, in the trailers, making it look like he was a hero in this interpretation and the Elementals were the villains.
Well, yes, if you know for sure that Mysterio is the villain then yes you can make plenty of inferences. But you still didn't know for certain until things actually happened. Then hindsight kicks in and you pat yourself on the back for being right all along. It would have made for a more interesting movie to do something different with Mysterio for sure, but it plays out like every other Marvel movie.

Sounds like we're on the same page here.
In general, I think we certainly are. But we are doing high brow analysis now so we can't actually agree on anything.

I'm talking about their evolution in their movies, not during the Blip. Character arcs and development is a core conceit of filmmaking. I 100% absolutely disagree that nobody really evolves in these movies, even if the evolution can be rather standard. Even a blander film (from a critical standpoint) like Doctor Strange has him evolve from a wealthy, selfish egotist to finding passion in something and realizing that he does care about saving people. He starts out barely acknowledging other people and constantly talking about himself to listening, finding some level of humility (though certainly still cocky) and letting people in. His worldview is pretty literally expanded. His changes are not only referenced by plot, but shown in his dialogue (for one extremely small and specific example, the fact that he expected things of others early on without any response on his part, then later on would actually thank people for things), the way he carries himself, the way he acts around others, and through his actions. I picked Doctor Strange because I enjoyed the movie but I think it was, artistically, kinda mediocre and shares a number of problems with Far from Home, but I still think it did a much better job with the basics at the very least.
Doctor Strange is probably one of the most cheesy examples to use. He is basically a Mr. Scrooge that finally realizes he is capable of empathy. I liked the movie as well, but there still isn't any depth there.

If there was a movie that had a toddler in it and thirty minutes of the movie was the toddler screaming and pooping on the floor, it may be realistic but that doesn't make it a better movie. Real-life dialogue and conversations are generally not very interesting or creative, at least not the majority of the time, either; hence why I didn't complain that people spoke in too grandiose a manner or that conversations weren't meandering enough.
FFH was a slightly hyperbolic stereotype of American teenagers and seemed pretty accurate. It at least aligns with other terrible movies about teen angst and relationships.

Similar to above, I hugely disagree. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, another MCU film I'm not a big fan of, explores the concept and idea of family in an amazingly organic way. We've already seen how similarly-dysfunctional people can be brought together in the first, but the sequel then digs a little deeper into that concept, the whole movie having him search for his biological father, feeling like it would fill some hole in his heart of an incomplete family, only to realize at the very end that blood isn't what's important and that, in this case, Yondu was more of a father than Ego ever could have been. It explores the concept with Nebula and Gamora as well, their relationship as sisters and their relationship with their, uh, "adopted father".
The theme of family in GotG 2 was incredibly forced. Oh hey Yondu was really just hard on him because he was the father Peter never had. I know, let's have Peter and his real dad play magic catch in the front yard, just like all those kids back on earth. Welp, we can't have any happiness so five minutes after meeting papa it all has to fall apart. I will concede that the relationship building between Nebula and Gamora was really well done, and added a lot to later films.

And I'm curious what makes him more interesting in this than previous iterations to you, since the movie Beck is basically just any generic Mysterio from the comics, just underutilized and with way fewer interesting scenes and abilities.
Because there is a real face behind it this time. A rugged, handsome face of a guy with some acting chops. And the illusion tech was still hella cool and stayed at least somewhat true to the character. Obviously comics and animated versions have a lot more leeway on what they can do visually and stay on a budget. I'd be surprised if Mysterio is actually dead and this wasn't just some set up for a later Sinister Six film.

In a good Mysterio appearance, in the comics, he's almost the Marvel equivalent of Scarecrow, though infinitely more flashy. He either uses his illusions to distract and confuse his foes, or he uses them to create nightmarish dreamscapes forged of their own mind (so he'd have them think; in reality, it's all tech [generally]), a chance for the hero to confront the dark side of themselves them and grow from it. Not...I dunno...sicing drones on his foe and having a shootout.
Eh, I just think you are wrong here. The dreamscapes were really cool visually and a bit mind-bending and deceptive. Peter is still too innocent in this iteration to have much a dark side. Unless he just really blames himself for Tony, which wouldn't make a lot of sense.

I played Spider-Man PS4 release date. It was very good and enjoyed it. While I appreciate all the assumptions of what I wanted and expected of the film, I've basically been telling you this entire time what I wanted from it—
Up until this post you haven't said what you wanted, so all I was left with was assumptions. You complained a bit, but offered no real examples of what you didn't like.

I assume you're interested in a discussion and not just "winning", given the effort in your response, so if you want clarification on anything all you have to do is ask. Which you get in responses, so I feel you're being a little hasty in being so dismissive. You also seem to be arguing (and I could be way off) less that this movie was decent and more that I shouldn't like other MCU movies, which doesn't have much to do with the quality of this movie. Of course, I just explained why I don't think it's the same as other MCU films so I do look forward to hearing your thoughts rather than assuming and pre-emptively dismissing them. :] I thought I made it pretty clear my expectations weren't very high before the film. Had it the depth of the game I'd be super happy with that, obviously, but I expected it to have the depth of...most okay-to-decent movies, ones that tend to accomplish more than this film in 3/4 the runtime.
I mean, there is no winning when arguing about any kind of media. I was mostly just giving you a hard time because you have mentioned that you want to work on your critiquing skills and I wanted to take you to task over it for no real reason other than to do it. Otherwise, you will end up just being another Saddam who writes paragraphs of criticisms that have no substance or original thought (not saying you do this). To me, this just isn't the movie for such an in-depth analysis. It is another generic superhero film that just happen to have some characters I like and some decent visuals. That is just my personal subjective take.

I mean if you just take a few of my critiques and don't do those, that's what they would've had to have done to make me like it. Saying "I don't think there was anything they could have done to make you like it" is nothing more than a meme trope response.
Okay, so if they would have added "soul" you would have liked it. Very tangible and very cool.

It can literally be used in every movie discussion ever. lol jk, but, for real, it's a bizarre answer that seems to insinuate you (contrary to saying you don't understand what I expected several times) very thoroughly know my expectations and what I want from a movie. Especially when my post was all about what I wanted from the movie. I like most of the MCU films. I didn't expect a Mysterio movie, but I don't think it's absurd of me to expect a character to be interesting. Batman Begins used a B-list Batman villain interestingly, and he had half the screen-time of this one. I mean damn they could've just given me a flashier Scarecrow with a fishbowl head and it would've been a way more interesting use of character than watching fishbowl-head spin around in a cloud of green dust while shooting lasers for 90% of his scenes in-character. Ant-Man had one of the most laughably bad Marvel villains but at least it used his abilities in interesting and varied ways. Even Homecoming kept putting Vulture in constantly differing situations so that he'd have to use his suit and general moveset creatively, like on the boat or in the warehouse and on the plane. I didn't want a ton from the movie, I just wanted it to be interesting in some way, to bring more than the absolute bare minimum to the table, and sometimes just nothing at all.
I still don't know exactly what you want. The examples you gave from other Marvel films about character development, depth, motivation, etc. are for the most part just as bad as everything in FFH. There is rarely any depth to it and I think you have just convinced yourself otherwise in some of these cases. I liked Mysterio overall. His predictable woe-is-me revenge plot doesn't really explain the entirety of his character but it isn't like there are any other deep or even consistent motivations in the MCU. Hell, while Thanos is at least consistent, there is all of a few minutes explaining his motivation and how he came to the super specific conclusion he did. But, that is off the topic of FFH. At the end of the day, FFH was fun and you are wrong for not liking it. Stop trying to be so contrarian for the sake of being contrarian.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: July 07, 2019, 05:44:15 AM »
Stop trying to be so contrarian for the sake of being contrarian.

Dawg. Are we gonna discuss shit or are we gonna snark back and forth. I'd rather only do one at a time if possible

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: July 07, 2019, 10:07:05 AM »
Are we gonna discuss shit or are we gonna snark back and forth.
Yes.

I'd rather only do one at a time if possible
That's what she said.

Okay, so I think Spider-Man did grow as a character this time around. He seems to suffer from PTSD and/or depression after being an Avenger (not to the extent Tony Stark did after New York, but it feels similar). He seems to be making it pretty clear that he wants to set some boundaries regarding being more of a friendly neighborhood spider. Obviously with Tony being dead he won't be able to do that in the context of these films. Even more so after what happens in the post-credit scene. So that will be an internal struggle for him.

Also, Ned grew as a character too. He went from hamfisted comic relief to hamfisted comic relief with a girlfriend. I think that shows real progress and growth. But yeah, the support structure Spidey has in the movie doesn't add much overall and we don't see their characters develop. I think that has happened a lot in Marvel movies since AoU where forced puns started becoming the norm instead of "real" dialogue.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 11:08:13 PM by junker »

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: July 14, 2019, 01:04:59 AM »
Otherwise, you will end up just being another Saddam who writes paragraphs of criticisms that have no substance or original thought (not saying you do this).

You should really just accept that the PS4 Spidey was trash because it made slight deviations to the character and disregarded current political controversies to fit a more conventional game design.

Spider-Man: Far from Home (Jon Watts, 2019)

It's decent. The action scenes are a little underwhelming, especially given the involvement of a character as theatrical as Mysterio, and like Snupes pointed out, the climax being a shootout with a million drones is just about the least interesting thing they could have possibly done with the setup they had. But Spidey and his pals are all likable, Jake Gyllenhaal is great as both a kind and avuncular friend to Spidey and an image-obsessed maniac, the romance is kind of cute, and I had plenty of laughs.

The main thing that's holding the movie back is its inability to hop off Tony Stark's dick. Tony this, Tony that, Tony Tony Tony. Tony's name is mentioned more often than Peter's. Doesn't this kind of undercut the whole point of Homecoming? Peter's big arc was learning that he didn't need to be Iron Man Jr. (something he never should have had to "learn" in the first place), and now it's...learning to handle the responsibility of being Iron Man Jr. wisely? The filmmakers can't seem to move past the idea of Tony's legacy when it comes to Spidey. Is that really the most interesting thing they can come up with for him?
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: July 14, 2019, 07:02:57 PM »
Mysterio, my favorite Spidey villain

Wut
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: July 21, 2019, 10:39:06 PM »
The Lion King (2019)

It was fine. If you love the original, you probably won't care for this one. My personal complaints, in order of of being problematic...

1) The music is roughly 69,420 times worse than the original. They include the original opening and closing, then everything in between is a worse version (especially 'Be Prepared...'). The recent Aladdin remake included some new girl power songs that were actually decent, this movie should have done the same. The exception is 'The Lions Sleeps Tonight,' which was great.

2) There is an awkward disconnect between the voices and the CG animals. I can't quite place it, but if you watch it you will understand what I am saying.

3) Jeremy Irons is a much more believable villain (did I mention how they ruined 'Be Prepared?'). In the remake it is hard to tell the male lions apart, which is dumb no offence.

4) Let's talk James Earl Jones, since he is back for the remake. In the original, he sounded incredibly passionate and his voice carried powerfully. Now, his voice is flat, and it borderlines on him sounding disinterested. The scene where he comes back to talk to Simba is probably the worst of it...

It is worth watching, but doesn't do anything better than the original (which I think Aladdin did in a few places). I'd still suggest watching it, but keep your expectations low.

Online AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: July 22, 2019, 09:27:17 AM »
I have issues with the whole "live action remake" thing. It's such blatant money making exercise from Disney.
The Beauty and The Beast one was fine but it's pretty much shot for shot so what is the actual point of it?
The Jungle Book one I was deeply sceptical about but I'll give them that one, I liked it and it did feel like they'd done enough different with it to justify its existence.
I pretty much refuse to watch many more, The Lion King doesn't even have any people so it's not a "live action remake", it's just a different style of animation and I'm sure the CGI is impressive but what is actually the point of remaking a great film and making it worse? At least do something a bit different with it.
I honestly can't believe Disney are getting away with this.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: August 07, 2019, 03:25:29 AM »
Shazam! Was ok. p. funny at times but the kids were annoying and kinda ruined it. Aquabro was better.
The Mastery.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: August 09, 2019, 10:47:34 AM »
Your lie in April

I cried alot.