« Reply #1240 on: April 28, 2015, 04:35:54 AM »
Spider-Man movies a shit
The Mastery.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Just Watched
« Reply #1241 on: April 28, 2015, 04:37:35 AM »
The Spiderman movies were alright, I guess. I was prime capeshit age when I last saw them, mind you. At the very least Spiderman has something resembling a character arc, and his ability to swing around the city is intrinsically much cooler than anything in The Avengers, so I would probably still like them more.

The Dark Knight was a solid 7/10.

« Reply #1242 on: April 28, 2015, 09:33:11 AM »
but given that this is the most critically acclaimed movie in the MCU, am I supposed to think that this is as good as it gets? 4/10

The Dark Knight was a solid 7/10.

Also, The Winter Soldier is arguably the best MCU movie thus far.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: April 28, 2015, 10:00:17 AM »
Also, The Winter Soldier is arguably the best MCU movie thus far.
Incorrect. Age of Ultron is.
The Mastery.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: April 28, 2015, 11:19:34 AM »
I didn't care for The Avengers either. My favorites are the Batman movies, Guardians, and X-Men movies (not all of them but some of them) . Growing up, the only comic book I liked was Spawn but they had to go and completely ruin the movie.

But the Avenger stuff looks like it's supposed to just be fun and campy and bright. For the love of god, do not watch Captain America.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: April 28, 2015, 11:20:19 AM »
shudup
quit hating fun
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1246 on: April 28, 2015, 01:40:26 PM »
The Avengers is probably my favorite MCU movie so far, but I'd put Winter Soldier at second.  The action in that movie is some of the best in the series, especially with how Cap fights, the story deviates from the typical wrangling over a magical MacGuffin that sadly seems to be becoming a little predictable at this point, and it introduces a slightly darker and more grounded tone while still remaining fun and entertaining.  That last point was something that Man of Steel failed at miserably, and so far it doesn't look like Batman v Superman is going to do much better at it.  Marvel is going to take over DC's claimed niche.  Here, have an intriguing article:

http://www.themarysue.com/daredevil-v-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-angst/

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: May 02, 2015, 02:24:13 AM »
The Avengers is wonderful. I'm taking my nephew to see Age of Ultron with me this summer, so over the past week I've been catching him up on everything Marvel. All that's left is Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy. It's been nice rewatching these, though Thor: The Dark World was a hell of a drag. Iron Man 3 was better than I remembered,I actually laughed quite a bit. I'm nor sure what my favourite is. At the moment probably The Winter Soldier, but hopefully that changes on Sunday.

Also I really need to watch Adaptation. soon...
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Foxbox

• We live inside a dream.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: May 02, 2015, 08:26:41 AM »
Also I really need to watch Adaptation. soon...

Do it now

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: May 02, 2015, 08:27:39 AM »
Once I'm done catching up with all things Marvel, I shall.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1250 on: May 02, 2015, 07:37:23 PM »
On Blanko's recommendation, I have watched the first season of Mad Men.  While it steadily improved over the course of the season, it got off to a somewhat rocky start, and that's largely due to the characters, who are mostly a bunch of terrible, unlikable people.  Now, I know a lot has been made of how this show portrays women, and I do appreciate that it doesn't itself try to glamorize sexism or present it as morally acceptable, but how the characters treat women is so cartoonish and over-the-top that I just couldn't take it seriously.  The biggest example of this is the psychologist who says virtually nothing to his female patient during their sessions, but reports on everything to her husband.  That makes about as much sense as diagnosing the wife with a headache and giving her husband an aspirin.  That detail isn't there to be historically accurate (because it certainly isn't), it's there for shock value, to provide an extra little twirl of the mustache.  Sexism is a serious issue, and exaggerating it in such a goofy way doesn't help anyone.

In the same vein, it's hard to like most of the men at Sterling Cooper, because they all start off with the exact same dominant personality trait of "sneering misogynistic asshole."  As the show continues and we learn more about them, they become more sympathetic and likable, but again, I wish it hadn't taken so long to get there.  And it's not just the men who suck - Betty Draper is probably my least favorite character so far.  To be fair, though, that's less because of the writing and more because they seem to have hired a mannequin to play her, rather than, you know, an actual actress.  Don is pretty cool, though.  And I really enjoy the advertising element of the show, like how they explore the psychology behind it and discover which techniques are more effective than others.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 06:07:23 PM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: May 02, 2015, 07:45:21 PM »
I don't feel like they really are exaggerating the sexism of the 50s and early 60s all that much. You can tell it was pretty awful just by looking at advertisements alone.

That being said, the characters do develop a lot and you feel sympathetic towards all of them at some point or other. Except for Pete, he is just terrible.
Peggy and Don are my favorite when they're together. Their relationship is just so great and surprisingly healthy. They respect and support each other as the show goes along and it gives you a lot of the warm fuzzies.

There was a point where I kinda stopped watching cause I just got tired of watching Don spiral out of control and sleep with everyone, but it picked up again.

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: May 02, 2015, 09:56:20 PM »
Being There (Hal Ashby)

By far the best movie I have seen this year. Peter Sellers' performance was spectacular; he made the ridiculous story line seem plausible.

9/10

inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: May 02, 2015, 10:35:53 PM »
2015: A Capeshit Odyssey!
Captain America: The First Avenger (Joe Johnston)

Craptain Ameroids vs. Colonel von Eczemann, the fight of the century! I have to say up front I actually liked this film, and I'm sure that has more than a little to do with the 1940s setting, captured in all its USO glitz, sentimentality, and optimistic escapism. It's cheese, but it's a vintage cheese with a certain aroma, not a mass-produced cheddar on a supermarket shelf. The actors are well cast, Chris Evans, Hayley Atwell, Hugo Weaving, and Tommy Lee Jones make for a formidable quartet with fine chemistry, and the always good Toby Jones plays his sly weasel character with aplomb. The action is intense, helped by the increase of on screen violence and blood compared with previous MCU titles, which lends it the genuine air of a war movie, yet the tonal balance is not lost, and the film maintains its hopeful 1940s naivete all the while. It also helps that the action sequences aren't shot like a small earthquake is going off on set.

The first part of the film deals to some degree with heightism and in a fairly realistic way, as Steve Rogers is routinely picked on by men and ignored by women due to his short stature. His courage and integrity do not falter through all the harsh treatment he is given, but ultimately of course the solution is to grow a foot taller and get #swole. I am fairly short myself, and while I don't have a problem with the eventual transformation from skinny little dweeb to tall muscular hero, I did find Steve Rogers' situation at the start of the film very familiar and it would be nice to see the initial situation examined a little bit more seriously instead of being used as joke fodder. That said, Captain America: The First Avenger is the best MCU entry I've seen so far, the bar was not particularly high (no pun intended), but this far exceeds previous Marvel efforts for sure. Given that so much of what I liked about the film was tied up in the alternate history 1940s setting, the cheesy veneer and hokey optimism of the era it depicts, I feel like it might be the peak of the franchise for me.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 11:10:01 PM by Crudblud »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: May 02, 2015, 11:27:47 PM »
inb4roosroos
The Mastery.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: May 03, 2015, 01:48:52 AM »
It seems like this is a joke.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: May 03, 2015, 01:49:56 AM »
no you just hate fun
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #1257 on: May 03, 2015, 02:18:18 AM »
It seems like this is a joke.

I think it's a joke too. First Avenger is an awful movie. All around.

A movie aficionado of Crudblud's caliber would never praise it in such a way.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: May 03, 2015, 02:25:12 AM »
Well the fine quartet with chemistry is what seems to give it away. I've seen people say more or less everything else, but I've never seen anyone praise Weaving's performance.

But on a related note, Ultron was surprisingly good.

Ghost of V

« Reply #1259 on: May 03, 2015, 02:38:22 AM »
Well the fine quartet with chemistry is what seems to give it away. I've seen people say more or less everything else, but I've never seen anyone praise Weaving's performance.

But on a related note, Ultron was surprisingly good.

Surprisingly? Every Marvel movie has viewers and reviewers peeing their pants these days. Nothing surprising about it.

Throw James Spader into the mix and you have a grand masterpiece.