Offline rooster

• View Profile
Re: Just Watched
« Reply #1260 on: May 03, 2015, 03:12:22 AM »
Obviously, I mean I'm surprised that I liked it. I know everyone else seems to get wet over capeshit. But I'm one of the few that didn't care for the first Avengers.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: May 03, 2015, 10:57:33 AM »
You just hate fun.
The Mastery.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: May 03, 2015, 11:44:01 AM »
It seems like this is a joke.
It seems like this is a joke.

I think it's a joke too. First Avenger is an awful movie. All around.

A movie aficionado of Crudblud's caliber would never praise it in such a way.
Well the fine quartet with chemistry is what seems to give it away. I've seen people say more or less everything else, but I've never seen anyone praise Weaving's performance.

It's a joke because other people don't agree with me?

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1263 on: May 03, 2015, 01:47:35 PM »
Quit being such a Me-Too, Vauxy.  You're seriously sounding like you haven't even seen the movie at all.  And quit trying to wind roosroos up, beardo.  It's okay to not like things.

And for what it's worth, a lot of reviewers did praise Weaving's performance.  Obviously he wasn't going to be winning any Oscars with it, but as a silly, scenery-chewing villain in a silly film, plenty of people thought that he was a lot of fun to watch.  But again, it's okay to disagree.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: May 03, 2015, 02:22:47 PM »
I thought Weaving was great, because it was cheesy and fun.

I'm really glad you liked it, Crudblud. I kinda thought you'd like Cap'n 'Murica, it's good fun and a nice change from the rest. It is one of the more underrated of my beloved capeshit films. This feels like making my friend play all the Zelda games, probably with the same results.

Man, capeshit is great. Marathoning all these movies with my nephew has me so squeediddly pumpedywumptious. Ultron in three hours!!!
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1265 on: May 03, 2015, 02:25:27 PM »
I shall be seeing Ultron in a few hours too, and am fully prepared to blast it in a rambling review.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: May 03, 2015, 02:57:56 PM »
Quit being such a Me-Too, Vauxy.  You're seriously sounding like you haven't even seen the movie at all.

Reminds me of someone else I know.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: May 03, 2015, 03:23:29 PM »
I thought Weaving was great, because it was cheesy and fun.

I'm really glad you liked it, Crudblud. I kinda thought you'd like Cap'n 'Murica, it's good fun and a nice change from the rest. It is one of the more underrated of my beloved capeshit films. This feels like making my friend play all the Zelda games, probably with the same results.

Yeah, from what I've read it seems like people didn't get that it was supposed to be cheesy as fuck. I really dug that aspect of it, however.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1268 on: May 03, 2015, 04:08:36 PM »
Quit being such a Me-Too, Vauxy.  You're seriously sounding like you haven't even seen the movie at all.

Reminds me of someone else I know.

I hardly think that me passing tentative judgments on movies based on their critical reception is comparable to Vauxy's "Yeah, what she said!" style of debate.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: May 03, 2015, 04:56:41 PM »
I am now in the theater. My heart is pounding, I have been waiting for this day for my whole life. I feel like a giddy little girl again

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: May 03, 2015, 06:26:58 PM »
3 Women (Robert Altman, 1977)

I wouldn't be surprised if this film had a direct influence on David Lynch in the making of Mulholland Drive. There are numerous similarities - the dream-like atmosphere (in fact, this was actually inspired by a dream Altman had), the naive girl moving to California for work who becomes attached to another female character, and the emergent identity shift/merge between the two characters. Lynch is more keen to rely on the tried-and-true "plot twist moment" method, but Altman lets his psychological drama unfold in a more subtle manner - suggesting something more surreal and asking to be interpreted, but never fully relying on it, as on the surface he is merely revealing more about his characters. Altman utilises improvisation to sell his characterization, and it works especially well on Shelley Duvall's performance. 9/10

Amour (Michael Haneke, 2012)

An emotionally devastating portrayal on how to deal with the suffering of a loved one, and how to come to terms with dying. It's hard to not get emotionally invested and bummed out as Haneke moves through the motions of hardships, humiliations, and the feelings of uselessness involved in being a crippled old person, but it's really mostly achieved through concept alone - I have to give Haneke credit for tackling this subject, but his execution of it at times crosses into cheap emotionalism, and his flat direction doesn't sell it all that well either. Regardless, it's hard to deny that it's a powerful and moving film. 8/10
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 06:30:38 PM by Blanko »

Ghost of V

« Reply #1271 on: May 03, 2015, 06:42:37 PM »
Quit being such a Me-Too, Vauxy.  You're seriously sounding like you haven't even seen the movie at all.  And quit trying to wind roosroos up, beardo.  It's okay to not like things.

And for what it's worth, a lot of reviewers did praise Weaving's performance.  Obviously he wasn't going to be winning any Oscars with it, but as a silly, scenery-chewing villain in a silly film, plenty of people thought that he was a lot of fun to watch.  But again, it's okay to disagree.

I've seen the movie and it sucks. Stop making assumptions.

Can I not have opinions now? Gd Saddam fuck off
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 06:46:56 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: May 03, 2015, 06:58:02 PM »
Age of Ultron: Oh my god, last time we sent a nuke through a wormhole, but this diesel trailer is too much to handle for us. And bad philosarobot who was actually right about everything but gets boyscout'd by Captain America.

7.5/10

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1273 on: May 03, 2015, 07:59:35 PM »
I've seen the movie and it sucks. Stop making assumptions.

Can I not have opinions now? Gd Saddam fuck off

It's precisely because you haven't expressed any real opinion of your own that I'm raising the possibility (which is all I'm doing; I'm not making assumptions) that you haven't actually seen it.  Posts like these struck me as being almost deliberately provocative in how vague and generic they are:

I have also seen the first Captain America movie. I also thought it was terrible. It is one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

It just sucked. That's why its a bad film. I'd watch it again and give you a more detailed review on how it sucked, but having seen it once... why would I subject myself to it again? That's a waste of time.

I'm sorry if I got the wrong signals.  But look at it from my perspective - you have to admit that a silly troll where you talk about a movie you haven't seen and see how long you can keep up the pretense is totally the kind of thing you'd do.

Ghost of V

« Reply #1274 on: May 03, 2015, 08:12:46 PM »
I see no way to prove that I've seen it though. I could tell you about the plot or my impression of the characters, but I could easily get that information from a google search and you would not know the difference. Basically, I didn't like the movie. If you have a problem with that, I'm sorry.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1275 on: May 03, 2015, 08:41:00 PM »
That's fine, and I wasn't asking for proof.  I believe you.  Now let's hug and make up, as well as bond over our agreement that Man of Steel was still dumb.

Derp.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: May 03, 2015, 09:23:57 PM »
I don't understand how a movie trying to be cheesy makes it any better, but okay.

For the record, I also dislike Sharknado so there.

Rama Set

« Reply #1277 on: May 03, 2015, 10:31:38 PM »
I don't understand how a movie trying to be cheesy makes it any better, but okay.

Unintentional cheese feels amateurish whereas intentional cheese (I.e. campiness) can lighten up subject matter, be self-effacing and add humor.

Ghost of V

« Reply #1278 on: May 03, 2015, 10:33:58 PM »
That's fine, and I wasn't asking for proof.  I believe you.  Now let's hug and make up, as well as bond over our agreement that Man of Steel was still dumb.

Derp.

Yeah, that scene is the worst. Forgiven.

And Rama, now we just have to determine if The First Avenger is intentional cheese or unintentional cheese. I'm going with the latter, because the tone of the film is mostly serious, especially the parts with Red Skull.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: May 03, 2015, 11:12:12 PM »

Because some people like movies that are intentionally cheesy, probably?

Anyway, Age of Ultron...oh my lord. What a work of art. Easily my favourite Marvel film. I'm way too tired to get into too much detail, but it was damn great. I actually agree with Blanko that the first Avengers' fight scenes were a letdown in terms of choreography and uniqueness, so it's wonderful that this one takes those and ratchets them up by a factor of infinity. They were just a delight and thrill to watch, and now that they didn't have to  set up the team, they got to spend all the time actually making a movie with them.

Ultron was great, but his very first appearance was his most impactful for me. His presence was incredible, the atmosphere was genuinely mystifying and a little intimidating. His appearance was perfect. I sort of wish they'd kept that time with him, how imposing a figure he was, but I'm not sure how long it could've been sustained.

So yes, absolutely loved it. It sets up a lot of exciting things, too...though the omg-Black-Panther??? tease made me sad. And aside from Ant-Man, no new Marvel for a year. How will I live? :"[