Ghost of V

Re: Just Watched
« Reply #1120 on: March 24, 2015, 07:11:45 PM »
Has anyone seen Metropolis? I watched it a few days ago. Visually stunning, and the soundtrack was amazing. I totally recommend it to any anime fans out there.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: March 24, 2015, 08:22:29 PM »
I just watched the two Hercules movies from 2014. The Dwayne Johnson one was clearly the winner of the two.
Oh yeah, I forgot about the other one. Did that other one even make it to theaters?
no idea
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1122 on: March 25, 2015, 08:25:28 PM »
I'm watching Arrow.  It's far better than it has any right to be.

« Reply #1123 on: March 25, 2015, 08:26:10 PM »
Saddam is a 17y/o girl.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1124 on: March 25, 2015, 10:08:52 PM »
Yes, there are many elements of the show that seem to be geared towards young women, like the soapy melodrama and gratuitous scenes of our star working out while shirtless (Steroids! >o<), but I think there's enough action and brutal violence to justify straight men watching it as well.  I especially like the very detailed origin story that unfolds bit by bit with every episode via flashbacks.  It's probably the most in-depth origin story that I've ever seen in capeshit.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1125 on: March 25, 2015, 10:12:11 PM »
Green Arrow is not supposed to be emo dark and gritty and that's what makes The Flash the better show.
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #1126 on: March 25, 2015, 11:19:16 PM »
Yes, there are many elements of the show that seem to be geared towards young women, like the soapy melodrama and gratuitous scenes of our star working out while shirtless (Steroids! >o<), but I think there's enough action and brutal violence to justify straight men watching it as well.  I especially like the very detailed origin story that unfolds bit by bit with every episode via flashbacks.  It's probably the most in-depth origin story that I've ever seen in capeshit.

This is the most sexist post I have ever read.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: March 25, 2015, 11:23:37 PM »

Really? Remember Raist? Also how is it sexualist?
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

« Reply #1128 on: March 25, 2015, 11:43:13 PM »
Raist was a seasoned PUA that regularly pounded pussy on the weekend.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1129 on: March 28, 2015, 03:42:38 AM »
Green Arrow is not supposed to be emo dark and gritty and that's what makes The Flash the better show.

The effectiveness of any capeshit franchise's tone - no matter which one they go with - is more important than its faithfulness to the source material.

It's their marketing, not mine.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: March 28, 2015, 02:21:52 PM »
The Blues Brothers (John Landis)

I was motivated to watch this again for the first time in years by its usage as the theme for the OpenBSD 5.7 release art and song. The release typically ships with a variety of jokes based on the theme (usually appropriated lines from the film), so it helps if I'm familiar with the original work.

This film is one of those over-the-top, ludicrously silly films that never even attempts to take itself seriously. It parodies the unrealistic nature of action flicks by taking the close shaves and overengineered pursuits to preposterous extremes; at one stage during the extended car chase that leads up to the film's climax, this is even lampshaded as the police authorise "unnecessary violence" in the capture of the elusive Blues Brothers.

The duo for which the film is named consists of two men with a penchant for making enemies of just about everyone they meet, as well as a happy-go-lucky attitude that, by rights, should make them the easiest pair of troublemakers to apprehend. Instead, they spend the entire film sending police cars, other bands, hotels, petrol stations and the entire city of Chicago into mayhem as they make unbelievable getaways, seemingly effortlessly.

This isn't a film that can be taken seriously, but for the hyperbolic comedy it aims to be -- in the same genre as such classics as Dude, Where's My Car? and Anchorman -- it is a thoroughly enjoyable film. It also features various well-known singers, such as Ray Charles and Aretha Franklin, and musical performances that make up in spirit what they lack in depth. I won't call it a great film, but I enjoyed it.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Dionysios

• View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: April 02, 2015, 05:56:30 AM »
'Dumb and Dumber' probably belongs on that list as this film's 1990's equivalent.
Love the protest scene in Illinois:

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: April 03, 2015, 01:55:09 AM »
I just finished The Sopranos. That was probably my favorite series finale of all time.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1133 on: April 03, 2015, 02:48:16 AM »
I just finished The Sopranos. That was probably my favorite series finale of all time.

No.  It was a dumb, pretentious, unsatisfying non-ending that completely abandoned the show's core elements in favor of a shallow and transparent stab at artsiness.  It wasn't deep.  It wasn't clever.  You don't "get it."  There is nothing to get.  It was just meaningless bullshit.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: April 03, 2015, 03:11:47 AM »

No.  It was a dumb, pretentious, unsatisfying non-ending that completely abandoned the show's core elements in favor of a shallow and transparent stab at artsiness.  It wasn't deep.  It wasn't clever.  You don't "get it."  There is nothing to get.  It was just meaningless bullshit.

So you really didn't get it? It wasn't supposed to be very deep - it was actually quite literal.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 03:15:41 AM by Particle Person »

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: April 03, 2015, 04:37:14 AM »
The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

It was shit.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: April 06, 2015, 07:42:55 PM »
Blade Runner. Based off of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick. Also, the inspiration for what I consider to be the best video game ever, Snatcher. I went into the movie with high expectations, possibly unreasonably high, and the movie let me down. Many characters have the same name as in the book, and several times exact quotes are used. However, the film deviates significantly from there. The tone is completely different and the movie lacks symbolism and thematic elements that are critical to the book. It is hard to get too specific without spoilers, so I will leave it at that for now. Had I watched the movie before reading the book, I would probably would have enjoyed it more simply as the cult classic it has become.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: April 06, 2015, 07:46:32 PM »
You're not qualified.
The Mastery.

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: April 07, 2015, 03:23:30 PM »
Interstellar (Christopher Nolan)

Finally got around to watching it. I enjoyed it, but it certainly did not live up to the hype. A friend of mine touted its scientific realism, which, having seen the movie, annoys me. Sure, it was fun, but it was sci-fi to the core.

8 1/2 (Federico Fellini)

A very fun movie. Dramatic and melancholy at the surface, but comedic at the heart. I have more Fellini to watch, but I think I should have watched others before this.
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: April 08, 2015, 06:05:41 AM »
I started watching The Wire recently. It's one of the few shows that realistically portrays computer usage, so that's a plus.