Occam's razor
« on: December 30, 2017, 06:54:59 PM »
According to Occam's Razor, it is more legitimate to believe that the Earth is round than flat. I was confronted this by my Chemistry teacher and I need a way to explain why this is false!!! Help!!!  :'( :-X ???

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Occam's razor
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 08:21:56 PM »
According to Occam's Razor, it is more legitimate to believe that the Earth is round than flat.
Incorrect.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 09:41:43 PM »
According to Occam's Razor, it is more legitimate to believe that the Earth is round than flat.
Incorrect.
Well I'm glad we sorted that out.
Care to elaborate?
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 09:42:55 PM »
Incorrect.
Well I'm glad we sorted that out.
Care to elaborate?

I'd suggest clicking the link, as this topic has been covered ad nauseam.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 11:25:24 PM »
Ok. Fair enough, I hadn't noticed that's a link.
I have read it now, it's a very silly page.

I'd suggest that the idea of a global conspiracy to pretend the earth is a globe and orbiting the sun which would have to include all the space agencies around the world, the airline industry and many branches of science is far more complicated than the idea than it is in fact a globe.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline exadon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 03:54:44 PM »
Ok. Fair enough, I hadn't noticed that's a link.
I have read it now, it's a very silly page.

I'd suggest that the idea of a global conspiracy to pretend the earth is a globe and orbiting the sun which would have to include all the space agencies around the world, the airline industry and many branches of science is far more complicated than the idea than it is in fact a globe.

Correct. More so that this global conspiracy would have to cover every employee ever of NASA, US airlines, private space sector, and all other organizations around the world.

A simple example:

What is most likely true: that NASA is not partaking in a massive cover-up about the earth being flat? Or they were able to stop every NASA employee ever from revealing the truth? Occam's razor would side on the former.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 04:01:56 PM »
More so that this global conspiracy would have to cover every employee ever of NASA, US airlines, private space sector, and all other organizations around the world.

Do you have any evidence to support your outlandish claim?

Offline exadon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 04:15:41 PM »
More so that this global conspiracy would have to cover every employee ever of NASA, US airlines, private space sector, and all other organizations around the world.
Do you have any evidence to support your outlandish claim?
First, just saying something is outlandish does not make it so. The definition of outlandish is

looking or sounding bizarre or unfamiliar.
"outlandish brightly colored clothes"

What I am saying is far from outlandish. Now, in the literal sense, would they have to cover EVERY employee? Clearly not. In the case of NASA I am sure there are plenty of lower level employees who have no interaction with the higher functions of NASA. Perhaps a janitor or the like.

For the sake of this argument, I am speaking about every employee who would have access to satellite images, astronauts who have been to space, etc.

To that end, the proof is self-evident. There are no NASA employees who have come out in support of the flat earth movement or commercial pilots.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 09:25:32 AM »
To that end, the proof is self-evident. There are no NASA employees who have come out in support of the flat earth movement or commercial pilots.
Let's throw in the cruise line industry while we are here. I guess they must be "in on it" too.
Was talking to a friend yesterday. I was saying how I've recently become fascinated with the Flat Earth Society, I'm somewhat bemused that it still exists in this day and age.
He is a keen sailor and was telling he how you can often see the reflection of light house light reflect off clouds before you can see the light itself before it emerges from the horizon.
I guess flat earthers will shout "perspective" but that really isn't how perspective works.

Offline exadon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 04:48:55 PM »
Let's throw in the cruise line industry while we are here. I guess they must be "in on it" too.

Also, throw in military snipers in the mix. Professionally trained snipers need to calculate the Coriolis effect which happens due to the curvature and rotation of the earth.
To that end all Meteorologist would also have to be in on it. As the Coriolis effect also takes a huge part in weather and storms.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 05:03:30 PM »
There are no NASA employees who have come out in support of the flat earth movement or commercial pilots.
I guess they don't fancy mysteriously dying in extremely unlikely accidents. Imagine that.

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 05:13:18 PM »
Pretty sure Math Powerland was a NASA employee. In fact his whole schtick is that he used to be an artist for them mocking up moon photos and galaxy images. And he has come out saying the earth is most definitely flat ...
Code: [Select]
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheNASAchannel
*Disclaimer - I think NASA did something to his mind during the exit interview and it likely involved lots of electricity and large magnets. Possibly a small whisk that fits into the ear. He's now sadly deranged, disabled if you will, having had his brain minced by NASA when he left. He just holds on to the one thing he knows for sure ... earth's shape. Everything else is him being a total arse due to NASA's partial lobotomy. They are ruthless.

Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 05:14:11 PM »
I guess they don't fancy mysteriously dying in extremely unlikely accidents. Imagine that.

lol thomas baron.  basically no one has ever even heard of thomas baron except for the relative handful of people who believe he was murdered.  deterrence doesn't really work is no one has ever heard of the deterrent.

don't get me wrong, this "every scientist in the whole world would have to be 'in' on it" stuff is nonsense; but, the "thomas baron deters whistleblowers" argument is equally silly.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 05:20:07 PM »

lol thomas baron.  basically no one has ever even heard of thomas baron except for the relative handful of people who believe he was murdered.  deterrence doesn't really work is no one has ever heard of the deterrent.

don't get me wrong, this "every scientist in the whole world would have to be 'in' on it" stuff is nonsense; but, the "thomas baron deters whistleblowers" argument is equally silly.
Not to mention (as noted the last time Baron was brought up) the record appears to show that his primary report was already delivered! What reason would there possibly be to kill him in the most unlikely series of events an assassin could dream up?

"Mr. BARON: I have sent to the chairman of this committee a more through report which includes all the names."
"Mr. TEAGUE: Your report went to the chairman of the full committee [i.e., Rep. George P. Miller, Chairman of the House Committee on Science and Astronautics. --Clavius], not to me. He told me he received it."
http://www.clavius.org/baron-test.html

Offline exadon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2018, 05:22:56 PM »

don't get me wrong, this "every scientist in the whole world would have to be 'in' on it" stuff is nonsense;.
Then , in your opinion, who would have to be the bare minimum amount of people to keep such a conspiracy under wraps.

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2018, 05:37:15 PM »

don't get me wrong, this "every scientist in the whole world would have to be 'in' on it" stuff is nonsense;.
Then , in your opinion, who would have to be the bare minimum amount of people to keep such a conspiracy under wraps.
I'm with gary in that I feel most people overstate the number of minimum people involved in these things. Hard to put a number on it, but I would suspect each space agency could have somewhere around 1000 or less. The only mandatory people to know would be those who are making the digital images for all the different agencies, the people raking in the dough, the astronauts, some handful of scientists who have come across the truth (these I think are the hardest to keep 'in' on it personally, as how do you know who's figured it out?), and one would likely want some margin of support personnel for the artists and such. The detail and quality of the 'fake' images says to me there needs to be a LOT of artists though.

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2018, 05:44:15 PM »

69?  420?  i dunno, haven't given it a ton of thought.  i'm not especially perturbed by anyone believing in the conspiracy, i just think the thomas baron argument is weird.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline exadon

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2018, 05:53:56 PM »

69?  420?  i dunno, haven't given it a ton of thought.  i'm not especially perturbed by anyone believing in the conspiracy, i just think the thomas baron argument is weird.

Agreed with Thomas Baron is weird. I don't believe in the conspiracy. My point is that Occam's Razor would tend to side with the conspiracy not being true. The bare minimum people it would take to cover up something this massive is too extreme. More so to keep it going for this long.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2018, 06:25:04 PM »
lol thomas baron.  basically no one has ever even heard of thomas baron except for the relative handful of people who believe he was murdered.
And, potentially, every person who needs to be deterred. Essentially, your counter-argument is that you and your friends haven't heard of him... until you have (which by itself is not a strong argument but hey-ho). I strongly doubt you're one of the people who need to know, or who would have been following this particular whistleblower's actions.

the record appears to show that his primary report was already delivered!
So, a report has been delivered to a single person, then Baron mysteriously dies, and then oh no, the report can no longer be found!!!!

Yeah, that certainly does not help your case.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 06:27:07 PM by Pete Svarrior »

Offline exadon

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2018, 06:44:44 PM »
There are no NASA employees who have come out in support of the flat earth movement or commercial pilots.

So, your theory is that, like Thomas Baron, every person who attempts to come out in support of the Flat Earth is murdered by NASA?