Religion in Relation to the Flat Earth Theory
« on: December 02, 2017, 08:55:01 PM »
(Just a heads up, I am entering this discussion with a Biblical perspective. I am evaluating facts in relation to the text of the Bible. However, I am willing and wanting to hear other varying opinions and perspectives. Each are worthy and valid in their own right.)

Hey! Extremely brief backstory: I grew up in church and always avoided the Old Testament of the Bible because it was dense, irrelevant and confusing. Occasionally I would skim through to feel like I was extra spiritual for suffering through the extensive genealogies, but would never stay longer than I had to. This year I heard a comment about NASA never leaving "low earth orbit" and it introduced me to the "conspiracy" rabbit hole which eventually led me to Flat Earth. This prompted me to revisit Genesis, Job, Exodus, and all of those chapters of the text I avoided and really see what the Bible said and supported.

I found that the Biblical text aligns itself more with the Flat Earth dome model than the heliocentric model.  It also showed me why it is so hard for people to accept the Bible as truth. How can something be true when it gets the most fundamental thing, the shape of earth, wrong?  I wrestled with that question for the past few months and I am more inclined to believe the Bible.  Not out of a fear of having my belief disrupted, but out of a analysis of the integrity and character of the sources of knowledge. What I mean is that the Bible, the people, stories, prophesies ring true throughout. (And yes, I thoroughly vetted the text before accepting it as truth.) NASA, the U.S. government, and the media have been caught lying, stealing, cheating time and time again. This could seem like a biased conclusion, but "if they'll lie about the small things, then they'll lie about the big things." I don't believe everything is a hoax, but I do believe common sense has been a dormant source of reasoning for far too long now. 

That's what I've found anyway. How does the Flat Earth Theory effect you and your religious beliefs? Does it support them or call them in to question?

Offline Luke 22:35-38

• The earth is round. Prove I'm wrong.
    • View Profile
Re: Religion in Relation to the Flat Earth Theory
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 09:19:13 PM »
I'm a devout Christian Jew who is a young earth creationist and takes the Bible literally. The earth is round.
Isaiah 40:22 "It is he that sitteth upon the CIRCLE of the earth"

Scripture, science, facts, stats, and logic is how I argue

Evolutionism is a religion. Can dumb luck create a smart brain?

Please PM me to explain sunsets.

devils advocate

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 09:41:59 PM »
Hmmm, NASA and ALL governments lie, wow newsflash. Check out Catholic child abuse, Magdalena laundry prisons, women being 2nd class humans in most religions and as for gays........

NASA and co are "saint's" in comparison to the Christian religion!!!! The Bible is filled with contradiction, lies, abuse and justified horror.

If you're using the sanctity of religion to justify a flat earth it might interest you to know that Hitler, Stalin and Ted Bundy were all Flat earthers, enjoy your new found mates.....

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 08:18:32 PM »
(Just a heads up, I am entering this discussion with a Biblical perspective. I am evaluating facts in relation to the text of the Bible. However, I am willing and wanting to hear other varying opinions and perspectives. Each are worthy and valid in their own right.)

Hey! Extremely brief backstory: I grew up in church and always avoided the Old Testament of the Bible because it was dense, irrelevant and confusing. Occasionally I would skim through to feel like I was extra spiritual for suffering through the extensive genealogies, but would never stay longer than I had to. This year I heard a comment about NASA never leaving "low earth orbit" and it introduced me to the "conspiracy" rabbit hole which eventually led me to Flat Earth. This prompted me to revisit Genesis, Job, Exodus, and all of those chapters of the text I avoided and really see what the Bible said and supported.

I found that the Biblical text aligns itself more with the Flat Earth dome model than the heliocentric model.  It also showed me why it is so hard for people to accept the Bible as truth. How can something be true when it gets the most fundamental thing, the shape of earth, wrong?  I wrestled with that question for the past few months and I am more inclined to believe the Bible.  Not out of a fear of having my belief disrupted, but out of a analysis of the integrity and character of the sources of knowledge. What I mean is that the Bible, the people, stories, prophesies ring true throughout. (And yes, I thoroughly vetted the text before accepting it as truth.) NASA, the U.S. government, and the media have been caught lying, stealing, cheating time and time again. This could seem like a biased conclusion, but "if they'll lie about the small things, then they'll lie about the big things." I don't believe everything is a hoax, but I do believe common sense has been a dormant source of reasoning for far too long now. 

That's what I've found anyway. How does the Flat Earth Theory effect you and your religious beliefs? Does it support them or call them in to question?

Flat earth has nothing to do with religion; it's a scientific theory, not theological theory. I don't know what the Bible or Quran say about the earth's shape. But most Christians, Muslims, and Jews seem to accept a spherical earth and deny that their holy books teach a flat earth. And if that is true, then they're wrong because the earth is indeed flat. But I am glad that you looked at the evidence to conclude that the earth is flat. Not many people are willing to do that because they don't want to admit they've been wrong all along.
Hi y'all. I am a typical GENIUS girl who does NOT follow the masses and who does NOT blindly accept what is told to me without EVIDENCE. That being said, I don't believe in a lot of "facts" (the quotations mean they're NOT actual facts) including evolution, the holocaust, and the globular earth HYPOTHESIS.