Ghost of V

Re: Tamir Rice
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2014, 02:11:07 AM »
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/video-shows-cleveland-cop-shoot-12-year-old-tamir-rice-n256656

Personally, I can't really see what's going on. It does look like he got shot basically the moment the cops arrived, which is strange to say the least.

I watched it but I'm... confused.  It looks like they kept the kid covered by their guns even after they shot him.

What did you expect? For them to speed off after shooting?
For them to not point guns at a dead kid with a BB gun.

They were waiting for him to turn.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2014, 02:12:25 AM »
Pure speculation on my part, but here's a hypothetical explanation: To them, at the time, it's a kid with what might be a gun. They also can't know for sure if he's dead. What they can know is that he's down, and that he still has what may be a gun. If he's not dead, he might still reach for it and start shooting.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2014, 02:16:13 AM »
Pure speculation on my part, but here's a hypothetical explanation: To them, at the time, it's a kid with what might be a gun. They also can't know for sure if he's dead. What they can know is that he's down, and that he still has what may be a gun. If he's not dead, he might still reach for it and start shooting.
But once he drops you kick the gun away while your partner covers you.  At that point you see its a BB gun and go "oh shit".
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2014, 02:28:16 AM »
What happens after they shoot him is irrelevant. Why they had to shoot him in the first place is what is important.
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2014, 02:31:37 AM »
It's totally possible they told him to drop the gun and it's totally possible that he didn't.

It is pretty fucking stupid to drive right up to him though.

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2014, 02:32:41 AM »

I feel the same way. If they thought he was a serious threat, they should not have approached him in that way.

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2014, 01:57:18 PM »

I feel the same way. If they thought he was a serious threat, they should not have approached him in that way.
They treat him as a serious threat. They drove up and shot his ass.
God is real.

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2014, 03:38:53 PM »

They treat him as a serious threat. They drove up and shot his ass.

top knotch poast

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2014, 10:18:48 PM »
Don't your police have non-lethal weapons? I mean, tasering a twelve-year old would be bad, but a whole lot better than gunning him down with actual bullets.

Ghost of V

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2014, 10:20:59 PM »
Don't your police have non-lethal weapons? I mean, tasering a twelve-year old would be bad, but a whole lot better than gunning him down with actual bullets.

Adding to this, are all police taught to shoot to kill? Or do they just have terrible aim?

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2014, 10:24:29 PM »

Adding to this, are all police taught to shoot to kill? Or do they just have terrible aim?

Yes, they are only trained to shoot to kill. A gun is never meant to be used to inflict non-lethal injuries. Cops aren't 360 noscoping people's kneecaps.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2014, 10:45:30 PM »
Aiming for center mass is the most reliable way to take someone down with a bullet.  It's incredibly difficult to hit a moving limb, and it doesn't guarantee incapacitation.

Ghost of V

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2014, 10:54:27 PM »
Yet Rushy claims that he's seen 9 year olds shoot clay pigeons out of the sky with 100% accuracy with 12 gauges. Seems like someone is lying.

Rama Set

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2014, 12:02:55 AM »
A shotgun can use ammunition that sprays so it's not like a sniper shot or anything.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2014, 12:05:48 AM »
Yet Rushy claims that he's seen 9 year olds shoot clay pigeons out of the sky with 100% accuracy with 12 gauges. Seems like someone is lying.

What does this have to do with their comments? Shooting limbs is difficult, that doesn't mean it is impossible. I was simply pointing out that a child can be very dangerous with a gun, since you seemed to be assuming that guns become magically harmless in the hands of a child and therefore no one should ever take a gun toting child seriously.

Ghost of V

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2014, 12:16:40 AM »

What does this have to do with their comments? Shooting limbs is difficult, that doesn't mean it is impossible. I was simply pointing out that a child can be very dangerous with a gun, since you seemed to be assuming that guns become magically harmless in the hands of a child and therefore no one should ever take a gun toting child seriously.

I never said they shouldn't be taken seriously. Anyone toting a gun can be dangerous. I was just implying that kids are probably less dangerous than adults with a gun. This particular child had an airsoft gun, which is not comparable to a 12 gauge shotgun even if he had a real handgun. But both should be taken seriously, but not shoot to kill serious in this particular case.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2014, 12:28:56 AM »
I never said they shouldn't be taken seriously. Anyone toting a gun can be dangerous. I was just implying that kids are probably less dangerous than adults with a gun. This particular child had an airsoft gun, which is not comparable to a 12 gauge shotgun even if he had a real handgun. But both should be taken seriously, but not shoot to kill serious in this particular case.

I doubt the police or anyone else immediately identified it was an airsoft gun unless it was some bright color. Most airsoft guns are built to look real so kiddies can play cops n robbers. Its a dumb reason, buts thats why.

Ghost of V

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2014, 12:38:11 AM »

I doubt the police or anyone else immediately identified it was an airsoft gun unless it was some bright color. Most airsoft guns are built to look real so kiddies can play cops n robbers. Its a dumb reason, buts thats why.

Most airsoft guns have orange rubber tips.

Also, the person who called in and tipped off the popo said the gun was "probably fake".
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 12:40:04 AM by Vauxhall »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2014, 12:40:10 AM »
Most airsoft guns have orange rubber tips.

Some, not all. We don't know enough details on the realism of the gun (we do know it was real enough to warrant lethal force).

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2014, 01:03:36 AM »
Brings to mind that story of a little girl whose parents gave a MAC-10 for fun on a shooting range. Lost control of the recoil (big fucking surprise) and shot the instructor over her shoulder right in the face.

What is it with you guys and your gun culture? The only people I meet with that kind of attitude about guns are hardcore low IQ bogans.