Size of the Sun
« on: February 19, 2022, 06:00:04 PM »
The Sun had a diameter 109 times that of  Earth. That means the Sun's area would be roughly 1,300,000 times that of Earth.
The Sun is made up of 73% hydrogen. Which is by far the lightest element known to man. And 25% Helium.
Here's my question.
Why does the Sun have a mass 330,000 times that of the Earth?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 06:25:31 PM by Jay Seneca »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Size of the Sun
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2022, 07:15:55 PM »
You're obviously talking about RET assumptions, so I have no idea why you posted this in "Flat Earth Theory", but whatever.

You already answered your question. You said hydrogen is "light", which is pretty close. You'd be better saying off that it's less dense than basically anything in the Earth's composition.

A lower density means that the same volume has a lower mass, or that the same mass ends up with a greater volume.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 03:29:41 PM »
Put it in theory forum out of habit. By Fault.
I'm trying to do the math but it isn't coming out right. I'm trying to figure out what I'm missing.
Liquid Hydrogen = 4 pound per square foot.
Rock = 170 pounds per square foot.
The mass doesn't add up. 

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2022, 04:59:34 PM »
Put it in theory forum out of habit. By Fault.
I'm trying to do the math but it isn't coming out right. I'm trying to figure out what I'm missing.
The mass doesn't add up.

Well first off... The sun is not liquid hydrogen.  Its gas hydrogen.  Maybe even plasma.
"Rock" is such a useless word in regards to weight.  The amount of different rocks and their densities is substantial.  Plus the inner core of Earth is mostly magma with an iron/nickle core. 

Also remember that all these densities are at STP.  You need to account for the sun being a giant blob of imploding gas with insane internal pressure, heat, and gravity.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2022, 05:02:17 PM »
And why are you comparing areas ("xxx pounds per square foot"; "Sun's area ...")?  You should be comparing volume. 

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2022, 05:19:16 PM »
As DuncanDoenitz pointed out, you should start by sorting out your units. Surface area is irrelevant, you want volume. I'm not sure where you got %5Cfrac%7B4lb%7D%7Bft%5E2%7D, but neither the number nor the unit makes any sense here. It really is no wonder the maths didn't add up.

Secondly, the hypothetical Round Earth is not entirely composed of rock, and "rock" isn't a precise enough term to define its density in the first place.

Where on Earth did you get these numbers from?

Also remember that all these densities are at STP.
I somehow doubt the density he found for liquid hydrogen was at STP.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 05:21:32 PM by Pete Svarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2022, 07:46:32 PM »
Yeah .. yeah my folly.
Meant just pressure... Like 1 atm.  I apparently need to brush up on what the fuck stp stands for.

Tho reading up on it, it doesn't seem to matter what the pressure is for hydrogen.  Just gotta get the temperature below 32.9 kelvin.  Which the sun is not.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2022, 10:48:50 PM »
Yeah .. yeah my folly.
Meant just pressure... Like 1 atm.  I apparently need to brush up on what the fuck stp stands for.

Tho reading up on it, it doesn't seem to matter what the pressure is for hydrogen.  Just gotta get the temperature below 32.9 kelvin.  Which the sun is not.
The pressure doesn't matter for liquid] hydrogen, which the Sun is not.  It's plasma.  The pressure is high.  High enough to cause fusion.

Anyway, to help clear up the OP's confusion:

Sun's volume: 1.4 * 10^18 cubic kilometers
Earth's volume: 1.0 * 10^12 cubic kilometers

So, the sun is about 1,400,000 times the size of the Earth.

Sun's mass: 2 * 10^30 Kg
Earth's mass: 6 * 10^24 Kg
Sun-to-Earth mass ratio: about 333,000, so the OP's claim matches the facts according to the Gospel of Google.

So, the density of the Earth is about 4 times the density of the Earth.

Hydrogen and Helium might be light on Earth, but they're heavy in the sun.  Still, only 1/4 as heavy as our rocks.

BillO

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2022, 10:10:55 PM »
Hydrogen and Helium might be light on Earth, but they're heavy in the sun.  Still, only 1/4 as heavy as our rocks.
The reason the gases are so dense in the sun is that they are under MUCH higher pressure. 10s of billions of times higher on average and over 200 billion times higher at the core.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2022, 01:35:58 AM »
Coincidentally, hydrogen and helium are lighter than air, and the Sun is right above the atmosphere in FE.

The surface of the Moon is also claimed to be made of Helium-3, possibly based on spectroscopy studies.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 01:42:04 AM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2022, 06:23:34 AM »
Not sure what you point is, Tom, but at 1.4 to 50 ppb the Moon is "made of Helium-3" like the surface of Earth is made of gold. 

Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2022, 03:33:21 PM »
Coincidentally, hydrogen and helium are lighter than air, and the Sun is right above the atmosphere in FE.

The surface of the Moon is also claimed to be made of Helium-3, possibly based on spectroscopy studies.

Claimed by who(m’st’ve), based on what evidence?

BillO

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2022, 06:32:02 PM »

I don't think anyone has claimed this Tom except possibly you.  There may be  lot of H3 on the moon, but the source is not the moon, it's the sun.  The sun emits a lot of H3 which ends up bombarding the surface of the moon where it collects.  People are looking at mining it as a renewable energy source.  Is this what you are talking about?

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2022, 03:23:59 PM »
Its pretty simple actually. The sun composition as you said is indeed accurate. But the density is changing. You see in the core of the sun, there is a lot of pressure. Which causes the hydrogen to get closer together. In the result the hydrogen in the sun core has almost 150 g/cm3 thats almost 15 times denser than lead. So here is your answer.

Ps. The sun mass is 333 000 earths, not 33 000 earths.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 03:26:08 PM by VerraNox »

Offline Pondering Charles

• Purgatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2022, 12:51:08 AM »
RE sun stats are absurd when you look at the sun. NASAs pictures show a orange ball surrounded by light 93 million miles away...and we get a large yellow ball and yellow light. ....?????

I'd say the sun is about 50 miles across, and maybe 100,000 feet in the air(lowest point or obviously it would engulf us). Eyeball estimate

Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2022, 01:49:46 AM »
The sun is very very not yellow

BillO

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2022, 02:11:52 AM »
RE sun stats are absurd when you look at the sun. NASAs pictures show a orange ball surrounded by light 93 million miles away...and we get a large yellow ball and yellow light. ....?????

I'd say the sun is about 50 miles across, and maybe 100,000 feet in the air(lowest point or obviously it would engulf us). Eyeball estimate
Really?!  Did you even think about what you just wrote?

If the sun was 50 miles across and 19 miles away (as you suggest) it would subtend a visual angle of about 105 degrees.  In other words it would take up more than half the sky.  In reality the Sun subtends an angle of about .5 degrees.

Your eyeball is in need of some adjustment.

• Purgatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2022, 01:06:44 PM »
Refraction from the dome allows light to be sucked up and filtered out, so the sun appears how it does.

BillO

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2022, 01:31:07 PM »
Refraction from the dome allows light to be sucked up and filtered out, so the sun appears how it does.
Wonderful.  Can you kindly give me the mathematics for this?

• Purgatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2022, 01:37:25 PM »
RE math is all invalid because it presumes the wrong shape of the earth. But it won't be all math anyway, there is an element of the energy of the heavens that math cant explain