Rama Set

Re: Just Watched
« Reply #440 on: June 06, 2014, 11:37:16 AM »
NO U

Also:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/06/03/doctor-strange-director-marvel-scott-derrickson/

I don't know anything about this Doctor Strange fellow.  Is this a good thing, comic book nerds?

Awesome character. Don't know the director's work but the genre they are going for is obvious.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #441 on: June 06, 2014, 09:58:29 PM »
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/scott_derrickson/

It doesn't seem like he has a lot to his name, and what he does have doesn't look too great.

And now I have watched The Wolverine.  Again, I'd have liked some subtitles for the scenes in which people spoke Japanese, but still, it was quite good.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 03:30:01 AM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: June 06, 2014, 10:01:08 PM »
And now I have watched The Wolverine.  Again, I'd have liked some subtitles for the scenes in which people spoke Japanese, but still, it was quite good.
Really? That's the only one I haven't seen just because the previews made it look so cheesy. Maybe just because I don't think the Canuck looks like he belongs with a bunch of katana-wielding Japanese.

« Reply #443 on: June 06, 2014, 10:11:25 PM »
NO U

Also:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/06/03/doctor-strange-director-marvel-scott-derrickson/

I don't know anything about this Doctor Strange fellow.  Is this a good thing, comic book nerds?

Christ they'll be doing that guy that shoots clock hands out of his arms next.

Offline Foxbox

• We live inside a dream.
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: June 06, 2014, 10:27:35 PM »
Melancholia (Lars von Trier)

This was only my second viewing and I loved it a lot more than the first. Very few films have affected me emotionally the way this film has. It is an experience that I highly recommend, though obviously it's not a film for most people.

Ghost of V

« Reply #445 on: June 06, 2014, 10:50:27 PM »
NO U

Also:

All my knowledge of him comes from Marvel vs Capcom 3. Apparently his main nemesis is Dormammu, and also Shuma Gorath. Both of which are from someplace called the Dark Dimension, which is pretty much the Marvel equivalent of Hell. Doctor Strange has an interesting backstory, and the whole Dark Dimension is a cool idea as well. The movie will probably translate terribly and be a disaster; shitting on lore and making stuff up, like most Marvel films. This will be doubly true if Johnny Depp is cast to play Doctor Strange.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #446 on: June 07, 2014, 05:33:34 PM »
Really? That's the only one I haven't seen just because the previews made it look so cheesy. Maybe just because I don't think the Canuck looks like he belongs with a bunch of katana-wielding Japanese.

It wasn't really cheesy as far as superhero movies go, with the exception of a giant robot that appears in the last act and really feels out of place.  As for the Japanese setting, I think they handled that fairly well.  They don't go down the ridiculous "going native"/white savior road à la The Last Samurai, at least.  Oh, and the female characters actually did things and added to the story rather than just sitting around in their underwear.

/Tumblr

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: June 07, 2014, 05:38:18 PM »
I like going native movies, I thought The Last Samurai was a good one. They didn't refer to Tom Cruise as the last samurai so that's a plus.

But adding a dash of Japanese flavor to a sci-fi movie just seems like a cheap formula. But I guess I'll watch it.

Ghost of V

« Reply #448 on: June 07, 2014, 05:43:58 PM »
I love The Last Samurai.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #449 on: June 07, 2014, 06:50:05 PM »
I like going native movies, I thought The Last Samurai was a good one. They didn't refer to Tom Cruise as the last samurai so that's a plus.

But adding a dash of Japanese flavor to a sci-fi movie just seems like a cheap formula. But I guess I'll watch it.

I love The Last Samurai.

How very subliminally racist of you.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #450 on: June 07, 2014, 08:29:47 PM »
Wolverine fighting generic samurai/ninja characters and then a samurai robot seems more racist than Tom Cruise slowly being enculturated.

Ghost of V

« Reply #451 on: June 07, 2014, 08:53:59 PM »
Wolverine fighting generic samurai/ninja characters and then a samurai robot seems more racist than Tom Cruise slowly being enculturated.

How are depictions of samurai racist exactly? I don't see your point.

Samurai are a huge part of Japanese history.

I haven't seen the movie, so I might not know what I'm talking about.

« Reply #452 on: June 07, 2014, 09:16:13 PM »
I saw Edge of Tomorrow on Friday. It was pretty damn good. The only things I didn't like was that they watered down Tom Cruise and Blunt's overpowered characters, and changed some of the details of the mimics from the book. Otherwise, the action was great and didn't get repetitive. Surprisingly, there was a lot of humour and it worked to help ease the more boring parts of the movie.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #453 on: June 07, 2014, 09:20:20 PM »
Because it's taking one aspect of their culture/history and using it as a stereotype.

I'm just speaking broadly not about The Wolverine specifically as I haven't seen it yet either.

Ghost of V

« Reply #454 on: June 07, 2014, 09:25:22 PM »
Because it's taking one aspect of their culture/history and using it as a stereotype.

I'm just speaking broadly not about The Wolverine specifically as I haven't seen it yet either.

So any movie covering any period between the Heian period and the Meji Era is racist now?  ???

Does this apply to other things? Are all movies about basket ball racist because of blacks?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 09:28:08 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #455 on: June 07, 2014, 09:45:53 PM »

So any movie covering any period between the Heian period and the Meji Era is racist now?  ???

Does this apply to other things? Are all movies about basket ball racist because of blacks?
That's clearly not what I'm saying otherwise I would think The Last Samurai is racist. It's more like if every black person in every movie were a basketball player. Or if every American Indian in every movie were some kind of spirit healer.

But I'm not getting into another argument with you. You refuse to read context.

Ghost of V

« Reply #456 on: June 07, 2014, 09:59:19 PM »

That's clearly not what I'm saying otherwise I would think The Last Samurai is racist. It's more like if every black person in every movie were a basketball player. Or if every American Indian in every movie were some kind of spirit healer.

But I'm not getting into another argument with you. You refuse to read context.

I'm not ignoring context. I just don't understand how a depiction of samurai equals racism.

Am I missing something? Honest question. You haven't really explained your point. Are you trolling?

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #457 on: June 07, 2014, 10:06:56 PM »
At the heart of every FES argument is rooster.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #458 on: June 07, 2014, 10:16:51 PM »
When there are Japanese in a sci-fi/action movie they are usually either samurai, ninja, or experts in karate.
When Native Americans are in sci-fi they are usually related to some kind of spirit monster or old legend.

This is taking an aspect of their history and making it all they are ever associated with. It is a stereotype. Historically accurate films depicting time periods are not relevant to this point.

At the heart of every FES argument is rooster.
Then this place would be so boring without me.

Ghost of V

« Reply #459 on: June 07, 2014, 10:28:46 PM »
I don't think every Japanese person in the film was a samurai/ninja/or martial arts expert. Your point is irrelevant. Samurai are something that Japan is known for. It makes sense to incorporate these elements into a movie that's set in Japan. Would you rather they portray Japan as America instead?

If what you're saying is correct then it is a two way street. Americans are usually portrayed as dumbass, arrogant, gun-slinging assholes. Chinese are usually portrayed as martial arts experts. Indian people are usually portrayed as Vishnu worshiping convenient store workers. Europeans are usually portrayed as pompous dandies.