Do most flat eathers believe in god?
« on: February 20, 2019, 02:49:36 PM »
I'm new to this but I was just wondering, do you guys mostly believe in god? I think this may be the reason behind people believing that the earth is flat as god believers are all pretty self-centered in that they think "God" made earth for humans. Because to most people, the earth is round because gravity pushed on the ground from all angles making it round. Saying that, do flat earthers believe in gravity? Just pretty confusing to me.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Do most flat eathers believe in god?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 02:56:44 PM »
There are large groups of Flat Earthers who explicitly base their FE belief in religion, but we're not one of them. While individual members' views differ, we generally do not endorse or condemn any religious belief. Past polls run on this forum suggest that the active FE posters here are mostly atheist or agnostic.

I suggest that you have a look at the FAQ: https://faq.tfes.org/
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

manicminer

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 03:15:04 PM »
Since you refer to the FAQ page Pete I took the opportunity to have another peruse. Under the evidence section after acronyms, reference is made to the movement of the Sun.  How does the observed movement of the Sun provide evidence that we live on a flat Earth and not spherical Earth?

Or to put it another way, how does the observed movement of the Sun favour FET over RET?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 03:16:41 PM by manicminer »

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 03:27:00 PM »
Since you refer to the FAQ page Pete I took the opportunity to have another peruse. Under the evidence section after acronyms, reference is made to the movement of the Sun.  How does the observed movement of the Sun provide evidence that we live on a flat Earth and not spherical Earth?

Or to put it another way, how does the observed movement of the Sun favour FET over RET?

the observed movement of the sun, meaning the way the sun moves across the sky is evidence that the earth rotates every 24 hours and as tilts slightly as the years progress it results in changes of seasons. The FET doesnt seem to account for seasons, how would flat earth get Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter?

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 03:33:10 PM »
The FET doesnt seem to account for seasons, how would flat earth get Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter?
That is literally explained in the FAQ.
I mean, they don't have any explanation for how that works - what force makes the sun go in a circle or makes the diameter of that circle keep changing, what makes the sun speed up and slow down so that the day length remains constant (by 'day' I mean the day/night cycle, of course), if the diameter of the sun's circling keeps changing then the sun would have to be travelling faster when the diameter is biggest and slower when it's smallest.

They have no actual explanation for how any of that works, but that is their explanation.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 03:37:25 PM »
The FET doesnt seem to account for seasons, how would flat earth get Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter?
That is literally explained in the FAQ.
I mean, they don't have any explanation for how that works - what force makes the sun go in a circle or makes the diameter of that circle keep changing, what makes the sun speed up and slow down so that the day length remains constant (by 'day' I mean the day/night cycle, of course), if the diameter of the sun's circling keeps changing then the sun would have to be travelling faster when the diameter is biggest and slower when it's smallest.

They have no actual explanation for how any of that works, but that is their explanation.

Yeah, i agree they explain it but it just seems to be pulled out of thin air, just like the movement of the sun. Seems everything on the page they have come up with a conclusion before finding evidence then make but up the evidence to point to the conclusion.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 03:42:56 PM »
Yeah, i agree they explain it but it just seems to be pulled out of thin air, just like the movement of the sun. Seems everything on the page they have come up with a conclusion before finding evidence then make but up the evidence to point to the conclusion.
Yes, I do find a lot of the reasoning quite circular.
So they make up a hypothesis to explain an effect and then when challenged to provide evidence for that hypothesis they use the effect as that evidence.
So one of the explanations for sunset is "converging perspective lines" (whatever that means), but the evidence for that is that the sun sets.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

manicminer

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 04:57:44 PM »
My point is how does the observed movement of the Sun favour FET more than RET. For FET theory to win more voters it must be able to explain observed phenomenon such as the movement of the Sun in this case better than the current line of thinking that RET proposes.  I can't see how it does that so until someone can explain it I don't see how the observed movement of the Sun provides any evidence for FE.

Under the same heading mention is also made about cloud bottoms being flat.  Same question can be applied to that.  I am just trying to find some something that we observe in nature that RET cannot explain but FET does.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 05:01:34 PM by manicminer »

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2019, 08:53:06 PM »
I'm new to this but I was just wondering, do you guys mostly believe in god? I think this may be the reason behind people believing that the earth is flat as god believers are all pretty self-centered in that they think "God" made earth for humans. Because to most people, the earth is round because gravity pushed on the ground from all angles making it round. Saying that, do flat earthers believe in gravity? Just pretty confusing to me.

I made this a while ago. It's my understanding of the FE organizations timeline. What it doesn't include are the predominately YouTube folks/groups/organizations that seemed to pop in the last 5 years or so.

manicminer

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 10:14:58 PM »
What I remain a bit unclear about is whether organisations such as FES are simply exploring a possible alternative to the conventional spherical Earth line of thinking. Effectively saying what if the Earth was actually flat and could such an idea possibly work?  Or are they actively anti-flat Earth and completely dismissive of the whole notion that the Earth is spherical and any such evidence that suggests that it is.

Whatever the case, you cannot dismiss a theory just because you don't happen to like it.

manicminer

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 10:24:24 PM »
Just to add to this...and referring back to the original question.  I find it difficult to believe in something that doesn't have a clear definition.  So in light of this could I ask the OP how you define God?