totallackey

Re: Coronavirus Successfully Treated by Vitamin C
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2020, 03:06:22 PM »
Just in case you didn't know this is the title: Coronavirus Successfully Treated by Vitamin C

As much I don't like to call mean things to people, if you cannot comprehend what has been explained to you that has been obvious, you are analytically illiterate.
As stated in my previous post, you are clearly the one lacking in analytical skills.

Offline TrueRoundEarther

• Four numbers of the back of your credit card?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2020, 12:54:09 PM »
Oh, excuse me. TREAT. Still, if you haven't brought the "rEpRiNt", there isn't one and this is an original article. Vitamin isn't the best to treat the coronavirus. Snopes writes that "Intravenous application of vitamin C will result in much higher and faster levels of the vitamin in the blood than any amount found in vitamin C supplements taken orally. Though this approach could increase vitamin C’s mild protective effect, this is yet hypothetical and intravenous injection comes with its own risks, such as infection, blood vessel damage, air embolism or blood clots./
So although vitamin C does have some small effect on the common cold, it’s unlikely that taking large amounts of vitamin C supplements will cure a COVID-19 infection – or have a large effect at all."
This doesn't sound like a successful treatment.

I'll provide you another article...
"Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature. "

Offline TrueRoundEarther

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2020, 12:59:25 PM »
On the side note, taking a bit of Vitamin C doesn't cause any side effects, taking megadoses such as in countries like China could cause side-effects like cramping; taking Vitamin C doesn't prevent or really treat the coronavirus.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/coronavirus-resource-center
"Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature. "

totallackey

« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2020, 03:53:14 PM »
Oh, excuse me. TREAT. Still, if you haven't brought the "rEpRiNt", there isn't one and this is an original article.
Word for word, this is exactly from snopes preface to the article:"Within the preface it states: "it does not, however, represent the work of Snopes fact-checkers or editors..."
So, that is not an original article from Snopes. 
Vitamin isn't the best to treat the coronavirus. Snopes writes that "Intravenous application of vitamin C will result in much higher and faster levels of the vitamin in the blood than any amount found in vitamin C supplements taken orally. Though this approach could increase vitamin C’s mild protective effect, this is yet hypothetical and intravenous injection comes with its own risks, such as infection, blood vessel damage, air embolism or blood clots./
There are potential side effects to every treatment and now, you are strawmanning the OP.

The OP never stated anything remotely near the word "best."
So although vitamin C does have some small effect on the common cold, it’s unlikely that taking large amounts of vitamin C supplements will cure a COVID-19 infection – or have a large effect at all." [/u] This doesn't sound like a successful treatment.

I'll provide you another article...
Nobody said cure.

Just stop.

Offline TrueRoundEarther

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2020, 04:00:36 PM »
I meant treatment. Excuse me. ::)

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2020, 11:49:16 PM »
Surprise! Vitamin C IVs now used by American clinics to fight COVID-19.

https://local12.com/health/medical-edge-reports/iv-vitamin-c-being-used-to-fight-covid-19

IV vitamin C being used to fight COVID-19

CINCINNATI (WKRC) - The National Institutes of Health just launched a new trial of a common vitamin being used in some hospitals to treat the coronavirus.

One of the potentially deadly complications of the coronavirus is what's called a severe acute respiratory infection - better known as pneumonia.

The National Institute of Health has just launched a new trial to find out if IV vitamin C may play a significant role in fighting it.

Doctor Eldred Taylor showed he's been using IV vitamin C in his practice through Facetime.

He is careful to say it won't prevent COVID-19. He treats patients with it who appear to have a need for it after he takes a full medical history.

It is being used in several hospitals around the country right now to help the lungs fight back

"It suppresses this thing called the cytokine storm and these cytokines go to the small little air sacs in the lungs, and inflame them, where it's very hard to transfer oxygen into the blood," explained Dr. Taylor. "And that's why these people are on ventilators under pressure to force oxygen across those membranes. So if you can decrease that inflammation then that's going to allow these patients to breathe easier."

The dosage that is needed is still being determined and does vary by hospital protocol.

Another American doctor on Vitamin C IV: "The patients who received vitamin C did significantly better than those who did not get the Vitamin C"

New York hospitals treating coronavirus patients with vitamin C

Also: The American Association of Naturopathic Physicians Urges Physicians and Hospitals to Utilize IV Vitamin C to Combat the COVID-19 Pandemic
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 11:57:12 PM by Tom Bishop »

Rama Set

« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2020, 11:58:02 PM »
So no hard data, just trials and anecdotes. Got it.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2020, 12:23:59 AM »

It says that American doctors just started using this for COVID-19 very recently. You want them to do a trial in a week? Sounds like trolling to me.

Rama Set

« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2020, 02:05:32 AM »

It says that American doctors just started using this for COVID-19 very recently. You want them to do a trial in a week? Sounds like trolling to me.

I wasn’t expecting anything. You said it’s being used to fight COVID but that isn’t true. They are hoping it will fight COVID, but the truth is they don’t know. So all we have is a trial and some anecdotes. Got it?

Offline TrueRoundEarther

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2020, 01:29:43 AM »

I wasn’t expecting anything. You said it’s being used to fight COVID but that isn’t true. They are hoping it will fight COVID, but the truth is they don’t know. So all we have is a trial and some anecdotes. Got it?

Hello Ramaset! How am I strawmanning this argument? I'm presenting an article showing why Vitamin C isn't an "effective tReAtMeNt" yet I'm being accused of it.

Rama Set

« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2020, 02:09:34 AM »
Please learn to understand how quotes work.

Offline TrueRoundEarther

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2020, 02:25:06 AM »
Please learn to understand how quotes work.
No.

Naah I'm kidding. I should have just pressed reply.

Offline timterroo

• domo arigato gozaimashita
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2020, 02:05:27 AM »
This is very interesting...

From what I have read in this thread (I did a little skimming), Tom is touting Vitamin C will help treat COVID-19 (based off scientific evidence).

Vitamin C supposedly breaks down to Hydrogen Peroxide in the body, which in turn kills cells - also stated in this thread.

This actually makes some sense.

With regards to other respiratory viruses like influenza, when infected by the virus, the body attempts to destroy the infected cells - this is how our bodies "cure" ourselves from the virus.

If it is true that Vitamin C breaks down to Hydrogen Peroxide, which in turn kills certain cells in the body, it IS feasible that Vitamin C could help treat COVID-19, and increase recovery times.

It would be even more interesting if there is a targeted response whereby the weakest cells were destroyed first - this is also much like how the body cleanses itself from viruses.

I hope there are more studies done on this.
"noche te ipsum"

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2020, 06:12:56 AM »
The breakdown happens in specific areas, such as the liver.  If it were released into the blood stream, it would jist destroy whatever cell it came into contact with first.  So useless.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline JSS

• Math is math!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2020, 12:06:30 PM »
If it is true that Vitamin C breaks down to Hydrogen Peroxide, which in turn kills certain cells in the body, it IS feasible that Vitamin C could help treat COVID-19, and increase recovery times.

As stated in the post above, this happens when the liver breaks it down, so it doesn't generate the hydrogen peroxide in the body.

The problem with "X kills Y in a test tube" thinking is our bodies are not test tubes.  Know what kills viruses?  Napalm.  Pour some napalm in a petri dish and it will kill every virus in it.

But nobody is saying, "Hey... maybe we should inhale burning napalm!  It will kill the virus in our lungs!"

Sure, and then kill your lungs, and you.  Hydrogen peroxide kills anything it touches. It doesn't JUST kill infected cells. You can't drink it or inject it safely.

Vitamin C isn't magic. It's just a chemical compound, one of thousands our bodies use. There is zero evidence to suspect that is specifically has some kind of super effect against COVID or other viruses.

We all want a magic COVID cure but Vitamin C just isn't it. We're just going to have to wait for actual researchers to find it for us.

Rama Set

« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2020, 12:08:32 PM »
There would also have to be a mechanism that gathers the peroxide and then targets it to the virus.  Normally white blood cells create the chemical internally.

Offline TrueRoundEarther

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2020, 01:18:14 PM »
And this wouldn't be called as a "successful treatment" if it is only one case, you would have to prove this in other cases because it is possible that the treatment wasn't successful. And like JSS says with his palm example, just because it kills viruses in a test tube, it doesn't mean that inhaling it in our body will treat it. We'll just have to wait for the vaccine and also follow social distancing orders.

Offline timterroo

• domo arigato gozaimashita
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2020, 07:25:17 PM »
And this wouldn't be called as a "successful treatment" if it is only one case, you would have to prove this in other cases because it is possible that the treatment wasn't successful. And like JSS says with his palm example, just because it kills viruses in a test tube, it doesn't mean that inhaling it in our body will treat it. We'll just have to wait for the vaccine and also follow social distancing orders.

Woah, who said anything about inhaling vitamin C?

Regardless whether it directly treats COVID, or any other virus, it will not harm you with a typical dose, and will help your immune system.
"noche te ipsum"

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."  - Albert Einstein

Offline TrueRoundEarther

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2020, 09:42:16 PM »

Woah, who said anything about inhaling vitamin C?

Regardless whether it directly treats COVID, or any other virus, it will not harm you with a typical dose, and will help your immune system.

I agree with your assessment here and I didn't mean to "inhale Vitamin C (my bad for not explaining myself as clear as possible)" :) because there have been studies that it can boost the immune system; I don't agree with people who claim that it will treat with pandemics despite no fully assessed- evidence. Like Kenneth Copeland claiming that praying with him will get rid of the coronavirus.

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2020, 10:02:56 PM »

https://www.snopes.com/news/2020/03/09/coronavirus-its-time-to-debunk-claims-that-vitamin-c-could-cure-it/

As much as it pains me to side with Tom B, Snopes has been shown to be anything but impartial.

Note, not defending the Vitamin C
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?