Asking some friendly questions :)
« on: December 31, 2021, 05:58:06 PM »
I believe in the globe earth, as well as the "matrix theory" though I don't call it that. My friend however believes in a flat earth. I can't find any good documentaries that aren't that netflix one which I give super little credit to. Such a mainstream platform would never really allow a controversial topic to be proven on it.
So I'm here. I have questions and I want to learn. I'm happy to answer questions too. I'm not very set in my ways and am very open to new views and such. I think the only exception is vaccines and antibiotics. Sorry, I've just seen that stuff work and I'm pretty set on that.

Here are a few of my questions to get the conversation rolling.

1. How does the flat earth really look? I've seen tons of different maps. What's the most accurate?

2. Why do some people believe the other planets are stars, round, or don't exist? I mean they're right there. Sure they're not really real but they're visible and you can look at them so they are real to us.

2.5 is the earth different because it's the stage we are set on? This is our home where we spend our time so obviously, it'd be easier to make it super detailed and not those other things. We aren't going to the moon or Jupiter so they just aren't real objects?

3. Do you believe the earth or reality is real? I've stated my case we live in a simulation. Do you believe that too? Why or why not?

Please no hate. I'm just curious and trying to figure things out. You have science, I have science, other people have science. It's just different based on experience, I'm gaining experience.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 10:48:06 PM by Thecuriosity »

Re: Asking some friendly questions :)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 06:53:25 PM »
3. Do you believe the earth or reality is real? I've stated my case we live in a simulation. Do you believe that too? Why or why not?
As Sean Carol states in his excellent book The Big Picture (available on Audible and which I highly recommend for anyone wanting an up to date view of what science says about our univese) we can not be 100% positive (maybe 99.9999...%) we are not all "brains in jars".  But he (nor I) see any evidence of that.
What is yours?
The contents of the GPS NAV message is the time of transmission and the orbital location of the transmitter at that time. If the transmitters are not where they claim to be GPS would not work.  Since it does work the transmitters must in fact be in orbit, which means the earth is round.

Offline Dr Van Nostrand

• There may be something to this 'Matrix' stuff...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 08:41:01 PM »
A perfect cryptographically secure pseudo-random number generator would create output that is indistinguishable from the background noise of our universe.

Is it real or is it a matrix?

I couldn't remember if you're supposed to take the red pill or the blue pill, so I took them both and now I'm tripping balls.
Round Earther patiently looking for a better deal...

If the world is flat, it means that I have been deceived by a global, multi-generational conspiracy spending trillions of dollars over hundreds of years.
If the world is round, it means that you’re just an idiot who believes stupid crap on the internet.

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2022, 08:58:53 PM »
A perfect cryptographically secure pseudo-random number generator would create output that is indistinguishable from the background noise of our universe.
False, see https://ethw.org/Cosmic_Background_Radiation

Even if it were true, so what?  This would not be evidence for being in the matrix but merely of the lack of our understanding of the earliest stages of the universe.
The contents of the GPS NAV message is the time of transmission and the orbital location of the transmitter at that time. If the transmitters are not where they claim to be GPS would not work.  Since it does work the transmitters must in fact be in orbit, which means the earth is round.

Offline Dr Van Nostrand

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2022, 09:46:00 PM »

Even if it were true, so what?  This would not be evidence for being in the matrix but merely of the lack of our understanding of the earliest stages of the universe.

Excellent link, well played.

However a map is a static image of the background radiation. If we just listen to the sound of the cosmos as it washes over us or convert it to stream of digits, it would be random. ( we have to move far enough away from the stars planets and galaxies so we don't detect their cyclical movements.)

There is an argument that says if we are in a matrix, there would be no way for us to prove it or know it because we could get nothing from an external frame of reference.

It may be that the quantum mechanical nature of our universe simply lends itself to a digital representation. The quantum mechanical states of the things around us are just variables in a fixed array.

If the world is flat, it means that I have been deceived by a global, multi-generational conspiracy spending trillions of dollars over hundreds of years.
If the world is round, it means that you’re just an idiot who believes stupid crap on the internet.

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2022, 10:11:14 PM »

Excellent link, well played.

However a map is a static image of the background radiation. If we just listen to the sound of the cosmos as it washes over us or convert it to stream of digits, it would be random. ( we have to move far enough away from the stars planets and galaxies so we don't detect their cyclical movements.)
Note "would be", and over what time period?  Such "listening" as you describe is observation in a fixed direction that would if you were listening early enough, over time, display the small changes the map depicts.  Once enough time has elapsed such ripples tend to flatten out and become more homogenous.  But again so what?

There is an argument that says if we are in a matrix, there would be no way for us to prove it or know it because we could get nothing from an external frame of reference.
That seems quite reasonable.  I can think of no way to detect such other than inconsistencies so extreme as to be deemed impossible.  Then again if Haldane's 1927 quote "the universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose." is correct then that method is fundamentally flawed.

Offline Dr Van Nostrand

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2022, 10:24:08 PM »
Even if we could mathematically or physically discern The Matrix(see the edge,) there would still be no evidence that it wasn't a naturally occurring grid array of the quantum mechanical universe.

We may not be in 'THE' matrix, we may just be in 'A' matrix.