Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
Biden's Broadband plan
« on: April 21, 2021, 03:24:31 PM »

I saw an article this morning about the planned rural broadband plan, a great idea but dated. Cost of 150 Billion. When StarLink is in full deployment, there will be no need to run fiber everywhere.

According to a Federal Communications Commission (FCC) December 2018 Internet Access Services report, 44 million households do not even have a standard broadband connection, either because they do not have access or can't afford it.

22 billion would buy every one of them a Starlink package and the government could help out with the monthly nut for those needing it. Of course, not all of them need the handout but some do.

Boom, saved 128 billion minimum.

Thoughts?
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
Re: Biden's Broadband plan
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 03:35:23 PM »
It's a fair point to make, but handing over an instant monopoly to a single private company giving them control of what is increasingly becoming an essential service/utility is a potentially dangerous proposition

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 03:41:42 PM »
Is this a trap?

Let's agree that this is a ground based communication system like LORAN and that the earth is flat. Then we can talk about the method of communication.

It is hard to think of a President in any country or at any time in history, who panders more than Biden. Biden will say whatever he thinks you want to hear. And if you live in the rust belt and aren't voting for him yet, he'll tell you he's going to give you superfast broadband. But it is my opinion (and I'm biased because I think the dems are absolute shitbags and you should have taken the lesser evil - Trump), but it is my opinion that if Biden's lips are moving, he is probably promising someone something that they will never ever get.
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 03:43:15 PM »
I am sure it will go as well as the last time telcos were incentivized with hundreds of billions of dollars in subsidies to deliver "broadband" across the country. Instead of lobbying to change the definition of broadband maybe this time they will change the definition of "fiber."

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 03:46:49 PM »
Starlink sounds great but bandwidth is a thing.
The more people who use it, the slower it'll be as the signal needs to chop up the cycle into more and more pieces.  Not to mention how beneficial the added broadband would be for everything else, like businesses.  Remember, the reason these people have no broadband is because its too expensive to run cable for too few customers.
So this is something the government would excel at providing.  Plus they can lease the lines themselves and not have to deal with a monopoly, which exists now because ISPs have to lease lines to run and if Comcast ran the line, why would they let anyone else use it?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 05:42:49 PM »
Is this a trap?

Let's agree that this is a ground based communication system like LORAN and that the earth is flat. Then we can talk about the method of communication.

Since I can see Starlink sats with my own eyes I must disagree. 
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 11:00:02 PM »
It is hard to think of a President in any country or at any time in history, who panders more than Biden. Biden will say whatever he thinks you want to hear.

He's been in office less than 100 days. Far too early for your pronouncement to have any credibility.
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2021, 11:15:48 PM »
It is hard to think of a President in any country or at any time in history, who panders more than Biden. Biden will say whatever he thinks you want to hear.

He's been in office less than 100 days. Far too early for your pronouncement to have any credibility.

Sounds like an excuse that you made up. What is your pronouncement based on?

Rama Set

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2021, 11:39:06 PM »

Sounds like an excuse that you made up. What is your pronouncement based on?

You should cite the study comparing the amount of pandering each president has done in their first hundred days instead of trying to weasel out of your response.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2021, 08:28:21 AM »
What is your pronouncement based on?

The inescapable numerical fact that 100 days is far, far less than either 4 years or 8 years.

Biden has not completed but a fraction of a first term.

Nearly?

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2021, 01:06:42 PM »

The inescapable numerical fact that 100 days is far, far less than either 4 years or 8 years.

So, being elected to the office of President = less pandering.

Interesting display of a total disregard of the behavioral sciences on your part, Tumeni.
To be honest I am getting pretty bored of this place.

Rama Set

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2021, 01:10:25 PM »

Interesting display of a total disregard of the behavioral sciences on your part, Tumeni.

You aren’t TotalLackey, you are TotalStrawman.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2021, 01:56:25 PM »

No, if we're going to compare Presidents, as Thork was doing, to imply a pattern of behaviour in comparison to other Presidents' patterns, it's disingeneous to compare a 'less than 100 days in the post' President with any other who has completed one or two terms.

Dontcha think?

Nearly?

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2021, 08:11:22 PM »
Biden isn't a blank slate. He's been pandering his whole career and it goes back much further than just 100 days. He promised a black female VP during his election run. He didn't care who that was. He just wanted to tick the box.

He promised to decriminalise marijuana ... to get black voters. Let's see if he does that or whether he was just pandering.

He's a serial panderer.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 03:18:13 PM by Toddler Thork »

Offline Iceman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2021, 08:46:59 PM »

He promised to legalise marijuana ... to get black voters. Let's see if he does that or whether he was just pandering.

I hope he does.

But that's for a different thread entirely

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2021, 08:47:30 PM »
I dunno.
I mean, I'd call that "Giving the people who vote for me what they want" since, you know, that's part of the job.

I mean, the last guy literally hired an analytics company to mine social media so he knew what the people who voted for him liked.  I'd call that pandering.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2021, 08:53:30 PM »

He promised to legalise marijuana ... to get black voters. Let's see if he does that or whether he was just pandering.

I hope he does.

He's more likely to give broadband to every hick in America.  ::)

Offline Iceman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2021, 09:54:10 PM »
Which is also a good thing...

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2021, 09:39:54 AM »

I hope he does.

He's more likely to give broadband to every hick in America.  ::)

And more people would come to the site and then you'd have more like minded people to talk to. 

Rama Set

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2021, 05:58:15 PM »

2/3s of Americans support marijuana legalization. Stop being the race-baiter you accuse the left of being.