Saddam Hussein

Re: The Elder Scrolls Online/General Elder Scrolls Discussion
« Reply #1480 on: November 21, 2014, 01:49:21 AM »
I'll resubscribe when they make Michael Kirkbride a playable character and introduce CHIM combo mechanics.

CHIM could happen.  Look, they even reference it here:

Deep.

How?

The quests sound pretty fun, actually, as long as they aren't in reality linear "follow the magic point on the map" garbage quests. Things like trying to investigate a murder tends to be more complicated than your classic "bear asses" MMO. I know that most of the game isn't like that (having played the beta) but Saddam makes it sound as if it is.

Roughly about two thirds of the quests rely on quest markers, while the rest of them just guide you to a general area where the things you need are.  The quests themselves aren't quite riveting dramas, but they do at least avert the "bear asses" trope.  And like I said earlier in the thread, they incorporate the lore of the series well, and tend to have some stakes attached.  As a result of this, the Vestige does far more world-saving than the heroes of the other games and is therefore the best of them all.

On a different note, who wants to see some more nonsense from Kirkbride?

http://www.imperial-library.info/content/fireside-chats

Ignore the videos.  You just want to read the transcript of the "Fireside Chat 1 - Reman and the Shonni-etta" part.  It makes the Muatra stuff look remarkably sane in comparison.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: November 21, 2014, 01:53:04 AM »
That's more of a Godhead reference than a CHIMference, if anything. I suspect they're just trying to portray that character as eccentric, though, and "we don't even exist" seems to be the most convenient way to do that in fiction.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1482 on: November 21, 2014, 04:36:29 AM »
Derp, now I feel dumb.  I had been thinking of C0DA when I posted that, not CHIM.  I know it's not evidence of that either, though.  The main lore guy said that while he found C0DA entertaining, it was ultimately 2meta to really get any kind of in-game acknowledgement.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: November 21, 2014, 02:04:07 PM »
I don't understand what is going on in this thread at all.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: November 21, 2014, 02:37:34 PM »

I mean fuck, dude, when that motherfucker shows up - by the way, she just bolted, “I’m the mother of that. I don’t always run, but I'm running now. This is going to be fucked up. I met Akatosh, and I met Lorkhan when I was on my deathbed, and we were hanging out, and I’m really tired of holding this fire. I’m out. You’re going to make this little boy eat his own come.”

That's what's going on.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1485 on: November 21, 2014, 02:41:14 PM »
Deep, rich lore.
The Mastery.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: November 21, 2014, 02:55:22 PM »

I would like to remind you that posting in this thread is not mandatory.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: November 21, 2014, 04:11:31 PM »

Then why do you keep coming here?

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1488 on: November 21, 2014, 04:39:09 PM »
I mean fuck, dude, when that motherfucker shows up - by the way, she just bolted, “I’m the mother of that. I don’t always run, but I'm running now. This is going to be fucked up. I met Akatosh, and I met Lorkhan when I was on my deathbed, and we were hanging out, and I’m really tired of holding this fire. I’m out. You’re going to make this little boy eat his own come.”

That's what's going on.

So the battlefield is covered in semen, and semen is getting all up in their chariot wheels, and what’s in the tents? More semen. And then I thought, well, what if he had to eat it?

Incorrect.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: November 21, 2014, 05:23:33 PM »
I thought Saddam only got weird in IRC.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1490 on: November 24, 2014, 12:08:01 AM »
Very well, I will go into more detail.  CHIM is supposed to be a kind of magical super-state where, if you manage to access it, you can totally break the rules of reality and do all kinds of crazy stuff.  It's a bit controversial among the fan community because there's never been any in-game confirmation that it's truly possible to achieve such a state, and as far as I can tell, has only ever been referenced by Vivec and Mankar Camoran in their respective writings, and even then obliquely.  They also both wrote in very abstract, metaphorical terms, making it difficult to determine at any time what they actually meant.  Anyway, Camoran claimed that Talos used CHIM to transform Cyrodiil from a jungle into a temperate grassland/forest, and an OOG book that Kirkbride wrote - which was later quoted in part in Skyrim - suggested that he used the Thu'um.  This vague explanation satisfied many lore-minded fans who noticed the discrepancy, but then along came TESO, and prior to the game's release, we got to see gems like this:

The worst part was that this wasn't even true.  You might remember that I briefly addressed this earlier in the thread:

I found a letter addressed to someone named Parsifal.  It made me smile.

Anyway, I am now in Hammerfell.  Hopefully it'll be more interesting than High Rock.  Although there is at least one cool thing about High Rock that bears mentioning here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/teslore/comments/2cbwkc/eso_adds_a_new_metaphysical_tower_the_doomcrag/

That's right, Kirkbride's wonky theory about magical towers protecting Mundus received some in-game acknowledgement!  And a couple of people there discuss the possibility that it was these towers that were responsible for transforming Cyrodiil.  On that subject, you might notice that the guy saying "I have no idea what that means" is the same dull historian who wrote this, which is even controversial in-universe.  I don't know if ZeniMax is ever going to expand on this or anything, but even the implication that we shouldn't be taking the whole "derp transcription error" explanation at face value is a good thing.

There's a guy on Reddit who explains it better than me:

http://www.reddit.com/r/teslore/comments/2avasd/new_hist_lore_in_eso_spoilers_ye_be_warned/cj0ofcu

The transcription error thing is not supposed to be taken at face value. It shows up in the game as people trying to explain oddities that are clearly more than mere transcription error, and even has at least one text that calls bullshit on that explanation. If there are still lore buffs who are mad about that, then I don't think they're paying enough attention.

Basically, "transcription error" is code for "metaphysical shenanigans being misinterpreted by myopic scholars" such as books showing up before they were published, or constant reference to a jungled Cyrodiil.

This follows a tradition of sorts. One of the best books from TES III is an attempt to discredit the Dragon Break of the Middle Dawn, written by Fal Droon. It's awesome because it appears to have actually been written after the events of TES IV and thus its presence constitutes a Dragon Break in itself. It talks about the fall of the Septim line in the past tense. And what is that name, Fal Droon, an anagram of? Darn Fool.

If you see a painfully boring explanation in the lore, rest assured, it's probably just wrong, on purpose.

So it turns out that the Mane sometimes wears a helmet that has other Khajiit manes on it.  That's uh, well, it's something, I guess.  It's a bit of a dilution of the description in the PGE, but at least they didn't forget why he was called the Mane to begin with.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 01:27:18 AM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: November 24, 2014, 02:35:31 PM »
Behold, the ultimate casual:

[16:33:21] <Saddam> Also, Morrowind
[16:33:26] <Saddam> I've decided to beat the game
[16:33:39] <Blanko> Must have been a hard one
[16:33:45] <Saddam> But I'm using console commands to basically become a superhero
[16:33:54] <Saddam> Because I hate the roleplaying aspects of it

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: November 24, 2014, 02:44:37 PM »
Behold, the ultimate casual:

[16:33:21] <Saddam> Also, Morrowind
[16:33:26] <Saddam> I've decided to beat the game
[16:33:39] <Blanko> Must have been a hard one
[16:33:45] <Saddam> But I'm using console commands to basically become a superhero
[16:33:54] <Saddam> Because I hate the roleplaying aspects of it

wow

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: November 24, 2014, 02:45:37 PM »
In Elder Scrolls you're already an abnormally strong individual. He is just more of a superhero than the game already allowed.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1494 on: November 24, 2014, 02:53:57 PM »
I have already had ample experience with the roleplaying of the game, and I don't think that my opinion of it would change just by playing longer.  At this point, all I really want to do is complete the quests and explore the whole map.  Who knows, I may find more stuff to rustle PP's jimmies with.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 08:36:53 PM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: November 24, 2014, 03:00:28 PM »
I can hardly wait. I'm sure after zipping around like a god for a few hours you'll be complaining about how boring the game is.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #1496 on: November 24, 2014, 08:39:17 PM »
On the contrary, I'm already having much more fun.  I exaggerated a bit, though.  All I really did was boost my attributes so I wouldn't fail at skill-related stuff so much, and so that I could move around a bit faster.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 09:14:54 PM by Saddam Hussein »

Ghost of V

« Reply #1497 on: November 24, 2014, 08:48:32 PM »
Come back when you've actually played Morrowind. Console cheating doesn't count as a legitimate playthrough.

Ghost of V

« Reply #1498 on: November 24, 2014, 08:51:27 PM »
I'm sorry you feel the need to post that, but console cheating is still not a legitimate play through. Take that however you want. You're not experiencing the game in full.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: November 24, 2014, 08:52:19 PM »
I don't think he cares.
The Mastery.