Offline Woody

• View Profile
Re: How would you promote the society if we were funded?
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2016, 09:12:09 PM »
If you want funding you get it by offering a better explanation for things than we currently have.  Like gravity, sun rises and sets, why the Earth would be the only flat planet when all others are round, what is the ISS really is, satellites, GPS, where RE maps are wrong, etc.

If that can not be done then just a larger more varied web presence.

If you want more ridicule then debating scientist would be a good move.  The reality, many true FE believers need to accept, besides it looks flat from our perspective there is just no supporting evidence. Crying conspiracy without evidence is not evidence.

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2016, 01:12:08 AM »
Well, I'd stay away from the whole science route.  That just won't end well for the flat earth. 

This is an empty statement with no substance.

Instead hire a pr firm and try to get this movement protected social status like a religion or a minority group.

This literally is counter to the goal of this community, which is freedom of thought, ideas, expression, etc. We don't require safe spaces or special treatment.

I disagree but I could be wrong.

Alright here's another idea. There's a lot of YouTube videos on FET but the problem is they all look terrible, very low production quality, people that just can't do a compelling presentation on camera. What I'd do is hire an actor and create a bill nye the science guy kind of personal. Then do a series of experiments demonstrating the evidence of a flat earth. A lot of the money will have to go into cgi to "massage"  the results. But hey computer animators gotta eat too right?

Offline cel

• Think OUT of the box. Be a TRUTH SEEKER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2016, 05:49:31 PM »
This is an informational query for any Flat Earthers on this forum. Lets say that I found a way to get us funded. Lets keep the amounts ambiguous for now. If you were provided with some amount of money, what would you do with it to promote the society?

What experiments would you conduct, projects would you work on, or promotional activities would you organize?

Imagine that our budget was $10,000, $50,000 or $100,000.

Thank you.

Hi Tom, if you have the budget, I strongly suggest that you acquire, renting maybe better, a high powered telescope or camera (the one used in observatory maybe ok) and used it to prove or disprove once and for all that objects, e.g ships, buildings, mountains, etc., can still be seen at a distance miles away at sea, that is/are supposedly impossible to see due to curvature of the earth. You know what I mean. If this can be done and proven, you can put a closure to endless debates on this issue. And you can focus on different matters like the spinning vs. stationary earth, distances of moon and sun from earth, etc. And assuming you do really prove that the earth is flat with the use of this high powered telescope/camera, it will really be a big blow to all concerned GEs and authorities. This will change the way people think around the world. Would you dare try this, that is, if you have the budget.... good luck! :)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 05:54:45 PM by cel »
You may wish to decipher how many squares are there in the 4x4 matrix of my profile image. If you do, tell me! That way I can tell if you really have an imaginative/creative mind that knows how to think out of the box. If you got it right, you've got great potential of becoming a genuine Truth Seeker! Welcome then to the Truth Seeker's group!

Offline Norr

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2016, 02:41:21 AM »
Certainly wouldn't do something so foolish as to spend $10,000+ on proving right a theory that no one will believe anyway. Seems better to write a book/novel, make a real documentary about it with actual consistent FE'ers and not the loons you find on the forums.

A magazine maybe? Probably pay to have a corrected lensed camera, several most likely, be attached to the outside of a SpaceX or NASA rocket but more likely SpaceX.

Start a FlatCon. I could go on and on.

geckothegeek

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2016, 05:31:17 PM »
Here are two ideas.

(1) I am more familiar with sailing in and out of San Diego, so I am just using it as an example.
You could disprove the curvature of the earth by hiring a boat or taking a cruise boat and taking pictures at one mile intervals showing that no matter how far you sail out to sea you can always see down to shore line at Point Loma instead of each mile showing that you would gradually be seeing only the peak of Point Loma. I would suggest using infra-red film with the proper filter to eliminate any problems with haze and/or atmospherics. I have played around with this and know that it works and I am just an amateur photographer. If you could disprove the curvature of the earth this would be a giant step for The Flat Earth Society. Of course there is the  old problem of denial of the results if they should prove the curvature of the earth to be true. This shouldn't cost more than a few hundred dollars.

(2) You could just drop any pretense of the earth being flat if you were really honest. The Flat Earth Society could just be a website to present ideas about "If the earth was truly flat, let us hear your ideas of how things would have to be." Sort of a website for fictional stories. You might even attract more visitors to the website this way.

Just an afterthought. How about a project to disprove the measurements of the distance from the earth to the moon by those ham radio operators and astronomical observatories ?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 07:15:59 PM by geckothegeek »

Offline Norr

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2016, 08:45:23 PM »
Here are two ideas.

(1) I am more familiar with sailing in and out of San Diego, so I am just using it as an example.
You could disprove the curvature of the earth by hiring a boat or taking a cruise boat and taking pictures at one mile intervals showing that no matter how far you sail out to sea you can always see down to shore line at Point Loma instead of each mile showing that you would gradually be seeing only the peak of Point Loma. I would suggest using infra-red film with the proper filter to eliminate any problems with haze and/or atmospherics. I have played around with this and know that it works and I am just an amateur photographer. If you could disprove the curvature of the earth this would be a giant step for The Flat Earth Society. Of course there is the  old problem of denial of the results if they should prove the curvature of the earth to be true. This shouldn't cost more than a few hundred dollars.

(2) You could just drop any pretense of the earth being flat if you were really honest. The Flat Earth Society could just be a website to present ideas about "If the earth was truly flat, let us hear your ideas of how things would have to be." Sort of a website for fictional stories. You might even attract more visitors to the website this way.

Just an afterthought. How about a project to disprove the measurements of the distance from the earth to the moon by those ham radio operators and astronomical observatories ?

How would 1 work? Round or flat you would always get the same result, whatever you view vanishes. I haven't seen anyone post actual evidence that zooming in reveals objects past the horizon. Legitimate question Btw

geckothegeek

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2016, 04:25:08 PM »
Here are two ideas.

How would 1 work? Round or flat you would always get the same result, whatever you view vanishes. I haven't seen anyone post actual evidence that zooming in reveals objects past the horizon. Legitimate question Btw

(1)

If the earth was flat, you would just see Point Loma in its entirety- from shore line to tip of the peak - appear to just get smaller and smaller the farther away you get.
And you could always zoom in to make them reappear.

If the earth was a globe, you would just see the shore line appear to disappear first, and finally you would just see tip of the  peak disappear the farther away you get, due to the curvature of the earth. And once they disappeared  you could never " restore them to view  with a telescope" . Been there. Done that.

Of course, flat earth would accept photographic evidence for the former, but reject it for the latter.
But the fact that the earth is a globe and not some fictional flat disc is a moot point anyway.

As to the hams and the observatories, I asssume the flat earthers would just say they were either liars or just mistaken.

(2)
I like that idea better. ;D
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 04:51:12 PM by geckothegeek »

Offline CableDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2016, 11:37:33 AM »
This is an informational query for any Flat Earthers on this forum. Lets say that I found a way to get us funded. Lets keep the amounts ambiguous for now. If you were provided with some amount of money, what would you do with it to promote the society?

What experiments would you conduct, projects would you work on, or promotional activities would you organize?

Imagine that our budget was $10,000, $50,000 or $100,000.

Thank you.

How long did the amount stay ambiguous?

Aside from paying for the venue and all the other hidden costs of standing up a debate how much are you actually going to pay those you would invite to the debate?

How do you think a debate is really going to help your cause?

Wouldn't your cause be better helped if you were to fund something which would offer actual proof of FET?  Why not fund an expedition to the ice wall to map and measure it?  According to FET the ice wall should have a circumference of about 75,000 miles where as the accepted circumference of Antarctica is about 11,000 miles.  If you can prove the ice wall really is 75,000 miles in circumference you would have solid proof of one of the primary claims of the theory.

geckothegeek

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2016, 05:55:59 PM »
It would seem there are two easy ways to prove the earth was flat.

(1) The first would be the  most expensive and take the most time. Just prove the ice wall exists. How to do this has been covered in previous posts.

(2) The second would be the cheapest and  take the least time. Just prove that the earth is flat and has no curvature. How do this has also been covered.

If you could  do ( and/or) just these two you could prove the earth was flat.

geckothegeek

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2016, 06:00:07 PM »
Find substantial proof that the Earth is flat, such that even someone working in geodetics could not dispute it.

How so?

How so ? Have an impartial observer measuring the size and shape of Australia and affirming  that it agrees with the flat earth map for a start ?

In the USA, why not write to your congressmam (or congresswoman) to launch an investigation of The Round Earth Conspiracy to
prove that anyone not connected with The Flat Earth Society is a liar, or is even worse than a liar ?

Ships of the U.S. Navy do "Around The World Cruises". Why not write to The Chief Of Naval Operations and suggest an "Around The Ice Wall Cruise" ?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 06:18:19 PM by geckothegeek »

Offline Boots

• ---- Cogito, ergo sum. ---- -Descartes
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2016, 12:00:06 AM »
First suggestion: I support an expedition to the ice wall. Or a flight over it.

Second suggestion: Send a camera or camera's into space - either far enough way to get a decent picture of the globe (oops, I meant earth) or if that's not possible use multiple cameras to measure the angle to the horizon in multiple directions.

Third suggestion: Redo the Bedford Level Experiments, with both REers and FErs involved, and settle, once and for all, which result was caused by refraction.

Fourth suggestion: Measure the distance around the earth along a line of latitude halfway between the equator and the North Pole and compare it to the distance around the earth along a line of latitude equidistant from the equator but south of it.

Fifth: Level some land in a straight line for a mile or two, using a laser set up at the starting point. Lay some pipe along the 'level' ground with a T in the middle pointing upwards. Pour water into the T and see if it runs both ways or only one way.

Edit: REers and FEers should be involved in any of the above, not just #3.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 12:06:30 AM by Boots »
“There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them.” - George Orwell

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2016, 12:34:10 PM »
How so ? Have an impartial observer measuring the size and shape of Australia and affirming  that it agrees with the flat earth map for a start ?
There is no "the" flat earth map.  There are at least two popular maps, and lots of one-off maps.  We would have to settle for "does not agree with the round earth map" I think.

In the USA, why not write to your congressmam (or congresswoman) to launch an investigation of The Round Earth Conspiracy to
prove that anyone not connected with The Flat Earth Society is a liar, or is even worse than a liar ?

Ships of the U.S. Navy do "Around The World Cruises". Why not write to The Chief Of Naval Operations and suggest an "Around The Ice Wall Cruise" ?
These two suggestions will have to wait, the FE side needs some prior credibility before Congress or the CNO will respond.  (Also, would not Congress and the CNO both be part of the Conspiracy anyway?  Not likely they would help uncover the 'truth' they are actively hiding...)
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2016, 04:32:01 PM »
Okay I'll make an actual suggestion this time. Contact Joe Rogan and try to get interviewed on his podcast.

Rogan is a pretty open minded guy. He's not stupid but he'll hear you out.

geckothegeek

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2016, 04:49:15 PM »
There is no "the" flat earth map.  There are at least two popular maps, and lots of one-off maps.  We would have to settle for "does not agree with the round earth map" I think.

These two suggestions will have to wait, the FE side needs some prior credibility before Congress or the CNO will respond.  (Also, would not Congress and the CNO both be part of the Conspiracy anyway?  Not likely they would help uncover the 'truth' they are actively hiding...)

My bad. I failed to take it into account that both the Navy and Congress were part of The Conspiracy. But how are you going to find anyone other than The Flat Earth Society that isn't part of The Conspiracy and is hiding the truth that the earth is flat ? Isn't The Flat Earth Society is the only source and holder of the truth ?

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2016, 05:32:15 PM »
Just get someone to fly from South America to South Africa, then on to Australia, and back to South America with regular direct flights. They can check maximum flight speeds and then just do the math! simple, Case closed unless you come up with a new map.

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2016, 05:18:44 AM »
My bad. I failed to take it into account that both the Navy and Congress were part of The Conspiracy. But how are you going to find anyone other than The Flat Earth Society that isn't part of The Conspiracy and is hiding the truth that the earth is flat ? Isn't The Flat Earth Society is the only source and holder of the truth?
So they say.  However, they'll claim that most of the world are dupes.  These folks are not hiding the flat earth on purpose, but are instead mere unwitting victims of the Conspiracy.  They just have to figure out which folks would not need to know "the truth" to act as patsies, and get THEM to help. 
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2016, 07:07:04 AM »
Just get someone to fly from South America to South Africa, then on to Australia, and back to South America with regular direct flights. They can check maximum flight speeds and then just do the math! simple, Case closed unless you come up with a new map.
And please tell İntikam the flight times!