Yaakov ben Avraham

Re: Friendly discussion about "Flat Earth Theory"
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2014, 02:04:27 AM »
That, Rama Set, is what I have read to be the case. Apparently refraction is precisely what caused Parallax to obtain the results he got. Not being a scientist, I don't claim to entirely understand the process, but there you are.

Thork

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2014, 11:35:12 PM »
The experiments have never been peer reviewed, @ the time they were performed, or since, to my knowledge.
Actually they have.

Quote from: http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/SciRefGuides/flatearth.html
[Rowbotham, Samuel B.] Zetetic astronomy. A description of several experiments which prove that the surface of the sea is a perfect plane, and that the earth is not a globe. Being the substance of a paper read before the Royal Astronomical Society on the evening of Dec. 8, 1848. By ‘Parallax' [pseud.] Birmingham, W. Cornish, 1849. 16 p. illus.

The results of which were obviously not compelling enough to persuade the scientific community.
But you haven't actually bothered to find out what happened on that day. Until you learn how to use google, I guess you are going to keep making these stupid statements about something not being peer reviewed or something not having any impact or the earth being a ridiculous round shape.

Rama Set

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2014, 12:01:09 AM »
I never said anything about it not being peer reviewed. I recall searching for the information in the past and not finding anything worthwhile. It seems like you have not availed yourself of google either on this matter so I do not know why you are being so righteous about it. I would be happy to see what the RAS had to say on the matter. How about we both look?

Thork

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2014, 11:23:32 PM »
I have exhausted Google. I'd have to get off my arse and actually visit them I suppose. Maybe Pizzaplanet would like a road trip?

Rama Set

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2014, 12:24:30 AM »
Sounds like fun. Hope you do it.

Offline pilot172

• Thunder down under
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2014, 12:33:26 PM »
I don't see the issue with a round shape though
1 in 10 suicides apparently could be stopped if someone smiled or made the person happy for a minute so its my goal in life to make as many people as happy as possible...also QUEENSLANDER!!!!

Rama Set

« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2014, 12:43:59 PM »
Are you referring to a specific objection in this thread or in general?  If something specific, could you please quote it?

Offline pilot172

• Thunder down under
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2014, 12:49:51 PM »
Are you referring to a specific objection in this thread or in general?  If something specific, could you please quote it?
in general I know that this is sort of discussing the shape but you make it sound like it changes everything but really what does it change in terms of everyday life, it still means I go to work fix cars and come home it really doesn't matter that much the shape when you think about it
1 in 10 suicides apparently could be stopped if someone smiled or made the person happy for a minute so its my goal in life to make as many people as happy as possible...also QUEENSLANDER!!!!

Rama Set

« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2014, 12:59:48 PM »
in general I know that this is sort of discussing the shape but you make it sound like it changes everything but really what does it change in terms of everyday life, it still means I go to work fix cars and come home it really doesn't matter that much the shape when you think about it

I make it sound like what now?  Please reference specific comments, you are becoming very confusing.

Offline pilot172

• Thunder down under
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2014, 10:12:13 PM »

I make it sound like what now?  Please reference specific comments, you are becoming very confusing.
ok so say we found out that we are both wrong and the earth is a pyramid, what will that mean for us, will it suddenly change the world, will we all go nuts what does the shape on the earth affect

Rama Set

« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2014, 10:33:31 PM »
Global telecom?

Offline pilot172

• Thunder down under
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2014, 11:29:31 AM »
Global telecom?
well what is said is that on a flat earth apparently theres a heap of towers that do the same thing as global satellite based communication, the only thing is we can see satellites not the towers