Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
Re: Bernie 2020
« Reply #240 on: April 10, 2020, 05:24:06 PM »
The problem with 'character matters' is that you aren't voting for a person, you're voting for a party and you're voting for policies.

That's simply not true. Every day the president has to make decisions, talk to foreign leaders, respond to unforeseen events, and do plenty of other human things that only a human can do. A lot depends on their personality, judgment, temperament, and so on. The last three years provide excellent evidence of this. If Trump is no more than a list of a policies, his administration should have been no different to his predecessors. Instead, it's been a chaotic, dysfunctional mess, which we can attribute to Trump's laziness, erratic personality, and general incompetence.

People voting for character is why we got Trump. There are some lifelong republicans who voted for the party no matter who was in charge of it, but there was so many more who rabidly supported Trump because of how he acted, because he didn't act like a typical politician, a cult of personality is what got him into power. Voting for character is also where you get the diehard Bernie fans who don't vote democrat or vote Trump out of spite for their person not making the ticket. They become so obsessed with character and the person that they don't realize that they're meant to be voting for policy. It happened in 2016 too.

Maybe I wasn't entirely clear, but I'm using the word character to mean the moral and ethical qualities of a person. It's not synonymous with personal appeal. If character had been a major concern in 2016, Trump would never have been elected, because most people could see that he was a foul person. But just enough people held their noses and voted for him, presumably telling themselves that they could separate the personal from the political, that they were electing Trump simply to do a job, that he could be a good president without necessarily being a good person. They were wrong.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 10, 2020, 09:46:33 PM »
Character is a good thing.  But I see what jrowe is saying.  I would be a lot more forgiving of Trump acting like a maniac if he were actually effective in doing things that benefit the American people.

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 11, 2020, 01:33:55 AM »
I really hope he doesn't run again in 2024. He's going to end up tearing the party apart.

I hope so.
The Democratic party is garbage.
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 11, 2020, 03:59:20 AM »
I really hope he doesn't run again in 2024. He's going to end up tearing the party apart.

I hope so.
The Democratic party is garbage.

Sean is the only one in the thread who gets it. Unless garygreen has posted, he also gets it.

« Reply #244 on: April 11, 2020, 02:41:52 PM »
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

totallackey

« Reply #245 on: April 11, 2020, 07:01:42 PM »
It's OK, guys, I bet Ben & Jerry's will make a comeback in 2024 to once again ask for your financial support.
Need more income to take care of those two million dollar homes he has...

Vacuuming falling hair costs money...

He doesn't own a 2 million dollar home.

He owns:
His residency in Vermont, which he bought back in the 80s when he ran for Mayor. 
His apartment in DC.
A cabin in Vermont.
Where did I write he owns a two million dollar home?

totallackey

« Reply #246 on: April 11, 2020, 07:06:34 PM »
The timing makes it hard not to be suspicious, and it's infuriating to think that a scandal like this is poised to bring down the Democratic candidate when Trump has been credibly accused by multiple women of far worse. But committing rape is not something that should be just brushed aside as irrelevant.
Everything about your post is just dandy, but I, and everyone else, would really love to see just what qualifies as being worse than rape that Trump has been credibly accused of...

Usually credible accusations, especially those of the criminal type, end up with the attention of a prosecutor, who then decides to either file charges or not...

But a couple of bright notes:

1) You linked to Salon magazine, which if it was on actual paper, could help alleviate the TP crisis worldwide...

B) Nothing like this is necessary to bring down Biden as he was never up to begin with...

LOL!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 07:12:47 PM by totallackey »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 11, 2020, 07:51:29 PM »
It's OK, guys, I bet Ben & Jerry's will make a comeback in 2024 to once again ask for your financial support.

He owns:
His residency in Vermont, which he bought back in the 80s when he ran for Mayor. 
His apartment in DC.
A cabin in Vermont.

Literally right in the bit I quoted.

take care of those two million dollar homes he has
The grammar and wording of the quote tells the reader "He has multiple homes which cost $2 Million."  But if you meant "all of his homes, which in total, are worth $2 Million" then that's different. Probably wrong and meaningless.

Of course, I have no idea why you'd have an issue with it.  Trump needs money to take care of his Multi-Billion dollars (in some cases) towers and properties.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline GreatATuin

• It's turtles all the way down
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 11, 2020, 08:47:50 PM »
I don't know how seriously to take reddit, but I've already seen a number of angry Bernie supporters vow to never vote for Biden, and even a few say they'll vote for Trump in protest. It's insane. Republicans support their president, arguably the most controversial politician of modern times, almost unanimously, but Democrats can't stop splintering over Bernie. I really hope he doesn't run again in 2024. He's going to end up tearing the party apart.

Sanders will turn 83 in 2024.

In 2008, many wondered if McCain was too old to run for the job. He was 72.

Trump will turn 74 in a few weeks, Biden is 77, Sanders 78.

Maybe it could be time for a new generation in 2024?
Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

you guys just read what you want to read

Offline CJO

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 12, 2020, 04:15:26 AM »
Question.  [democrats bad republicans good checkmate atheists]
Yes, before the parties switched sides, Republicans did a lot of stuff commonly associated with modern Democrats, and vice-versa. This is not particularly significant at this point in time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/8a43tp/myth_or_fact_did_the_us_political_parties_switch/
See there u go posting a link about an article someone wrote.   And we're not talking about switching sides we're talking about living history. Not what u see on the news or learned in school. History based off library of Congress data.

Offline CJO

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 12, 2020, 04:27:38 AM »
All I mean is that at the time in history that these things happened the parties that they called themselves at that time did these things.  And what I mean when I say Dems are still doing is because I see a lot of radical name calling on the side of the Dems.  Trump calls people names but he says it playfully. Watch.  When the Dems call some one name it is said with hate and dissent.  And just how much better we're race relations and minority community after 8 yes Obama. Not much if not worse. And now Trump.  Doing well across the races. Economy was up.  And still all u hear is race race xenophobia from Dems.  Republicans don't call Dems racist why because most are not. Dems call everyone that doesn't agree with them racist.  Pot calling kettle black. 

Offline CJO

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 12, 2020, 04:41:15 AM »
Another observation. I have never seen a news conference or interview in which a republican mentioned wanting Americans to die during this pandemic. Except for pro Dem sound bites.  Just the other day I saw a portion of an interview with James Carvel saying the reason that the election was held in Wisconsin was for 1 supreme Court seat and the republicans don't care how many people they kill to get it.  During that interview segment a Dem supporter saw the clip then immediatly started insulting the other questions. A congeress men and stating again all republicans want are people dead.  And would not even address what Carvel had said.  U can't just say something and it's true and if u yell the loudest people will hear u.  You have to b intelligent and informed and will to answer questions with proper answer based on opinion of facts.

Offline CJO

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 12, 2020, 04:44:36 AM »
The best defense against any threat is to be educated so u can make an intelligent response.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 12, 2020, 05:41:00 PM »
We have an edit function. You don't need to make four different posts in the space of thirty minutes.

The timing makes it hard not to be suspicious, and it's infuriating to think that a scandal like this is poised to bring down the Democratic candidate when Trump has been credibly accused by multiple women of far worse. But committing rape is not something that should be just brushed aside as irrelevant.
Everything about your post is just dandy, but I, and everyone else, would really love to see just what qualifies as being worse than rape that Trump has been credibly accused of...

Usually credible accusations, especially those of the criminal type, end up with the attention of a prosecutor, who then decides to either file charges or not...

But a couple of bright notes:

1) You linked to Salon magazine, which if it was on actual paper, could help alleviate the TP crisis worldwide...

B) Nothing like this is necessary to bring down Biden as he was never up to begin with...

LOL!

"Worse" probably wasn't the right word to use, but I was of course referring to the numerous credible accusations of sexual misconduct leveled at Trump over the years. They aren't a problem for Trump simply because everyone is numb to the fact that the president is a sleazy douchebag. But depending on how this story develops, and whether or not the Republican-controlled House and the right-wing media decide to run with it, Biden could very easily be hammered with it from now until the election, with the people shouting the loudest about it being the same ones who deliberately turn a blind eye to Trump's sordid history with women. Just like how they ignore the stupid shit he says every day and make a big deal out of every verbal slip-up from Biden.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Rama Set

« Reply #254 on: April 12, 2020, 07:28:25 PM »
The problem isn’t that Biden has to live with these consequences, but that Trump doesn’t

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: April 12, 2020, 08:29:01 PM »
I had an odd conversation with my mom.  She told me how Biden's son had 3 good "deals" in 3 different countries after  Joe Biden did "dealings" with them as VP.

And while I hadn't heard about any of them, I didn't want to get into it but it makes me wonder: Why would she be angry about that when Trump does that on a daily basis? 

I'm beginning to suspect that brainwashing is afoot.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 13, 2020, 03:47:51 AM »
I had an odd conversation with my mom.  She told me how Biden's son had 3 good "deals" in 3 different countries after  Joe Biden did "dealings" with them as VP.

And while I hadn't heard about any of them, I didn't want to get into it but it makes me wonder: Why would she be angry about that when Trump does that on a daily basis? 

Trump is not corrupt. However, ignoring this, are you aware that two wrongs do not make a right?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 13, 2020, 04:12:17 AM »

Trump is not corrupt. However, ignoring this, are you aware that two wrongs do not make a right?

Who had two wrongs in an attempt to make a right? 

But think about it: Trump has his children(and son in law), one of which runs his business, working for him at the White House.  He also gets alot of business to his own golf courses.  His hotels receive many high level visitors all in an attempt to get his favor.   

So why is it bad if Joe Biden helps his children get deals but its ok for Trump to give his children positions of power to aide in their wealth?

totallackey

« Reply #258 on: April 13, 2020, 09:50:32 AM »

He owns:
His apartment in DC.
A cabin in Vermont.

Literally right in the bit I quoted.

take care of those two million dollar homes he has
The grammar and wording of the quote tells the reader "He has multiple homes which cost $2 Million."  But if you meant "all of his homes, which in total, are worth $2 Million" then that's different. Probably wrong and meaningless.
Wrong.

I wrote "two million dollar homes."

And if you thought it was meaningless, then it would have been best for not to reply and demonstrate a distinct inability to read and comprehend simple statements.

Of course, I have no idea why you'd have an issue with it.  Trump needs money to take care of his Multi-Billion dollars (in some cases) towers and properties.
Falling hair is an issue...for Bernie...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 09:59:49 AM by totallackey »

totallackey

« Reply #259 on: April 13, 2020, 09:57:15 AM »
"Worse" probably wasn't the right word to use, but I was of course referring to the numerous credible accusations of sexual misconduct leveled at Trump over the years. They aren't a problem for Trump simply because everyone is numb to the fact that the president is a sleazy douchebag. But depending on how this story develops, and whether or not the Republican-controlled House and the right-wing media decide to run with it, Biden could very easily be hammered with it from now until the election, with the people shouting the loudest about it being the same ones who deliberately turn a blind eye to Trump's sordid history with women. Just like how they ignore the stupid shit he says every day and make a big deal out of every verbal slip-up from Biden.
Actually the reason Trump doesn't need to worry about them is this: the fact of the matter is they are bullshit.

Trust me...like I wrote earlier, these accusations are the least of Biden's worries.

That old geezer is obviously suffering from dementia.

The Democrats ought to start a new campaign strategy...

"Don't pick on the old demented man! Can't you see he is helpless!"

After all, America loves the underdog!

LMMFAO!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 10:00:20 AM by totallackey »