Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
Annotated ENAG
« on: March 03, 2014, 08:16:01 PM »
So, since the news release we're about to push out mentions our creating an annotated edition of Earth Not a Globe, let's get that started. 

Here's the table of contents, and I think the annotations should go pretty quickly if each member tackles a chapter.

Chapter I. Zetetic and Theoretic Defined and Compared
Chapter II. Experiments Demonstrating the True Form of Standing Water, and Proving the Earth to be a Plane (lots of these, maybe a few members)
Chapter two breakdown:
Introduction
Experiment 1 (A boat, with a flag-staff)
Experiment 2 (six flags along a canal)
Experiment 3 (The Bedford Level 1)
Experiment 4 (The Bedford Level 2)
Experiment 5 (1870 Bedford Level)
Experiment 6 (Brighton, in Sussex)
Experiment 7 (The sea horizon)
Experiment 8 (Sea horizon at Portsmouth Harbour)
Experiment 9 (St. George's Channel)
Experiment 10 (the apparent concavity of the earth if seen from a balloon)
Experiment 11 (eastern pier at Brighton, quadrant with plumb)
Experiment 12 (Telescope at Waterloo)
Experiment 13 (London and North-Western Railway)
Experiment 14 (Theodolite at Shooter's Hill, in Kent)
Experiment 15 (views from the "grand" hotel)
Chapter III. The Earth No Axial or Orbital Motion
Chapter IV. The True Form and Magnitude of the Earth
Chapter V. The True Distance of the Sun
Chapter VI. The Sun's Motion, Concentric With the Polar Centre
Chapter VII. The Sun's Path Expands and Contracts Daily for Six Months Alternately
Chapter VIII. Cause of Day and Night, Winter and Summer; and the Long Alternations of Light and Darkness at the Northern Centre
Chapter IX. Cause Of Sunrise And Sunset.
Chapter X. Cause of Sun Appearing Larger When Rising and Setting Than at Noonday
Chapter XI. Cause of Solar and Lunar Eclipses
Chapter XII. The Cause of Tides
Chapter XIII. The Earth's True Position in the Universe; Comparatively Recent Formation; Present Chemical Condition; and Approaching Destruction by Fire

We will also want a foreword and an afterword, most likely by Mr. Bishop.

Note that some of these things have since been disproven - our goal here isn't to edit the work, but to offer annotations for places where Dr. Rowbotham's work was insightful, incorrect, incomplete, or has deeper implications.  The chapter on the moon, for instance, deals with the idea of an "antimoon," which isn't always a part of modern FET.  This is an excellent opportunity to illustrate some of the more modern variations on Flat Earth Theory.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
Re: Annotated ENAG
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 08:39:39 PM »
I suggest we start with the experiments, since they're the most useful part of the book. We can then link to the annotated copy in the Wiki, which will be useful. Speaking of which, how exactly are we doing this?

If anyone isn't aware, you can find ENaG online at http://www.sacred-texts.com/earth/za/pageidx.htm
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 08:49:40 PM »
I suggest we start with the experiments, since they're the most useful part of the book. We can then link to the annotated copy in the Wiki, which will be useful. Speaking of which, how exactly are we doing this?

If anyone isn't aware, you can find ENaG online at http://www.sacred-texts.com/earth/za/pageidx.htm

That's a good question.  We'll have to research (with the assistance of our knowledgeable admins) a good way to do a highly interactive, annotated text online, but I'd also like to package it for print and publish a TFES edition of ENAG for Kindle, Nook, some other e-reader formats, and print using a system like Lulu.  http://www.lulu.com/

As for the annotations, those can be written separately either in threads here or (probably more usefully) in Google docs.  From there I can format it into a document that works as print and e-book text, and our more web savvy administrators can update the online version. 

I can go ahead and start on Annotations for experiments 11-15, and lay out some cover art for us to approve as well.  Stay tuned.

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 06:44:37 PM »
Which experiments have been repeated recently?

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 08:26:57 PM »
Which experiments have been repeated recently?

Start a new thread for debate of this topic, please.  This thread is for logistics related to this society project.

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 02:54:19 AM »
Front cover mockup for Lulu print-on-demand book.  (not print quality, I scaled it down to be web friendly and removed bleeds and other extraneous bits)

I think this'd look pretty snazzy on my bookshelf.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 03:37:47 AM »
Hell yeah.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 04:40:29 AM »
I like it.

We could make a kickstarter or indiegogo campaign to raise money to actually publish it, if it comes to that.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 11:23:47 AM »
I like it a lot.  Great artwork, Tintagel. 

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 04:21:23 PM »
We could make a kickstarter or indiegogo campaign to raise money to actually publish it, if it comes to that.
Or we could use Lulu, like Tintagel suggested.

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 04:39:40 PM »
Or we could use Lulu, like Tintagel suggested.

Exactly.  Lulu is print-on-demand publishing, enables us to publish a printed book for no money, and books are produced as they are ordered, with a percentage of the purchase price going to TFES.

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 07:36:59 PM »
Pardon the necro, but I want to get this project back into the society's brain.

I have been spending a little time on this, mostly organizational, but I have a draft for an introduction to Chapter 1 in progress which I'll share here as soon as it's done.  Also, I see that we're getting (or already have, perhaps?) an electronic fascimile of the first edition, and it may be good to include a page or two (or a section) in the Annotated edition. 

I've been admittedly slacking on it, at first because the lack of initiative mad me sad, and then later because :life: but I really want to get back to it.  I don't want it to be "Tintagel's Annotated Edition," I want it to come from all of us.

Things have been quiet on the reunification front as well, but I'm thinking of reaching out to Daniel and/or Wilmore.  I'd like to include their contributions if they want to supply some.

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 10:05:40 PM »
Pardon the necro, but I want to get this project back into the society's brain.

I have been spending a little time on this, mostly organizational, but I have a draft for an introduction to Chapter 1 in progress which I'll share here as soon as it's done.  Also, I see that we're getting (or already have, perhaps?) an electronic fascimile of the first edition, and it may be good to include a page or two (or a section) in the Annotated edition. 

I've been admittedly slacking on it, at first because the lack of initiative mad me sad, and then later because :life: but I really want to get back to it.  I don't want it to be "Tintagel's Annotated Edition," I want it to come from all of us.

Things have been quiet on the reunification front as well, but I'm thinking of reaching out to Daniel and/or Wilmore.  I'd like to include their contributions if they want to supply some.
See: http://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=1493.0
Don't rely on FEers for history or physics.
[Hampton] never did [go to prison] and was never found guilty of libel.
The ISS doesn't accelerate.

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 03:06:06 AM »
Pardon me while I throw up. :P
God is real.

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 07:31:43 AM »
Is ENaG no longer under copyright because of its age?
Is it legally sound to create a 150th anaversary edition? Basically a retype of the original book with the new cover posted in this thread?

I'd be tempted to tackle this myself as its a really good idea.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2015, 02:39:24 PM »
Is ENaG no longer under copyright because of its age?
Is it legally sound to create a 150th anaversary edition? Basically a retype of the original book with the new cover posted in this thread?

I'd be tempted to tackle this myself as its a really good idea.

Of course.  It's public domain.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2015, 03:16:27 PM »
Also, I see that we're getting (or already have, perhaps?) an electronic fascimile of the first edition, and it may be good to include a page or two (or a section) in the Annotated edition.
I've been swamped with other things so I didn't have the time to give the facsimiles the love they so desperately need. I do have the scans, I just haven't published them yet

Thork

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2015, 06:57:54 PM »
I've never really understood this project. Annotated how?
Does anyone have an example chapter I could read?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2015, 09:35:52 PM »
I like this idea. What I would like to do is modify my debating style so that all questions I answer on this forum are answered in the form of a paragraph, intended to be included in a modern edition of Earth Not a Globe. I'm afraid I don't really have the time to both debate and to write a book. If other FE'ers come on board with this idea, where we debate with explanatory paragraphs we can compile our work into a book easily -- perhaps copy-pasting to a wiki for organization. Re'ers can help guide the content by asking questions on the forum for which they would like to see answered.

I don't really feel the chapter format of the original Earth Not a Globe is appropriate for modern version. Ideally this book should be split into four volumes, each containing chapters within the subject-matter:

Volume I: Introduction

This section should be an introduction to FET, a history of RET, and discuss Zetetic vs. Theoretic

Volume II: Terra Firma

This volume and the chapters within it deals with phenomena within the atmosphere of the earth.

Volume III: The Cosmos

This volume and the chapter within it deals with phenomena outside the atmosphere of the earth.

Volume IV: The Conspiracy

This volume and the chapters within it deals specifically with the Conspiracy.

Each chapter within a volume should have the following sections:

Background: This section provides a background on the topic. It should be assumed that the reader knows nothing about earth science and needs to be brought up to speed on what the RET theory states before launching into FET.

Theory: The next section in the chapter should deal with the current theory.

Q&A: After the theory is explained in each chapter, questions and challenges should be asked (perhaps provided by RE'ers on this forum). Under the chapter for the sun, for example, once its place is described and defined in FET under the theory section we can list a series of italicized questions such as "Why doesn't the sun change size over the course of the day?" and "What causes its movement?" We can then list the questions in the glossary for people to reference.

If we can all agree to follow this format, or a similar one, I think this can work.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 08:04:57 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2015, 10:12:35 PM »
I like this idea. What I would like to do is modify my debating style so that all questions I answer on this forum are answered in the form of a paragraph, intended to be included in a modern edition of Earth Not a Globe. I'm afraid I don't really have the time to both debate and to write a book. If other FE'ers come on board with this idea, where we debate with explanatory paragraphs we can compile our work into a book easily -- perhaps copy-pasting to a wiki for organization. Re'ers can help guide the content by asking questions on the forum for which they would like to see answered.

I don't really feel the chapter format of the original Earth Not a Globe is appropriate for modern version. Ideally this book should be split into four volumes, each containing chapters within the subject-matter:

Volume I: Introduction

This section should be an introduction to FET, a history of RET, and discuss Zetetic vs. Theoretic

Volume II: Terra Firma

This volume and the chapters within it deals with phenomena within the atmosphere of the earth.

Volume III: The Cosmos

This volume and the chapter within it deals with phenomena outside the atmosphere of the earth.

Volume IV: The Conspiracy

This volume and the chapters within it deals specifically with the Conspiracy.

Each chapter within a volume should have the following sections:

Background: This section provides a background on the topic. It should be assumed that the reader knows nothing about earth science and needs to be brought up to speed on what the RET theory states before launching into FET.

Theory: The next section in the chapter should deal with the current theory.

Q&A: After the theory is explained in each chapter, questions and challenges should be asked (perhaps provided by RE'ers on this forum). Under the chapter for the sun, for example, once its place is described and defined in FET under the theory section we can list a series of italicized questions such as "Why doesn't the sun change size over the course of the day?" and "What causes its movement?" We can then list the questions in the glossary for people to reference.

If we can all agree to follow this format, or a similar one, I think this can work.

I can agree with that format. I think it would also be a good idea to have someone write a foreword, which would explain that ENaG is only the beginning of FET, that some FE'ers disagree with Rowbotham on some points, etc. I'd hate to cause a situation like what we used to deal with about the Ice Wall, before we rewrote the FAQ.

Maybe Daniel should write the foreword? If nothing else, as President of the Flat Earth Society he has the appropriate name recognition.