Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2014, 07:59:56 PM »
However, I still think the whole "he's dead" thing is silly Moffat writing.

Exactly. Annie Wilkes in Misery explains what's wrong with Moffat's writing.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2014, 08:16:15 PM »
I've never heard anyone say a kind word about this Moffat fellow.  Why is he in charge of the show?

Ghost of V

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2014, 08:23:54 PM »
I've never heard anyone say a kind word about this Moffat fellow.  Why is he in charge of the show?

Because his over-sexualized vision of Doctor Who has made it more popular with teenage girls than the series has ever been. It is making BBC more money than ever. Hopefully, the Doctor as a love interest thing will fade with the 12th.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2014, 08:28:04 PM »

His early episodes were great. The EmptyChild/ The Doctor Dances, Blink, The Girl in the Fireplace, Silence in the Library, Time Crash.

He can write individual episodes, just not whole series arcs.

Ghost of V

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2014, 08:31:18 PM »
Time Crash is his best work. It is 6 minutes long.

Ghost of V

« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2014, 10:01:10 PM »
I have been rewatching Series 4 with Tennant. Midnight is easily the best episode this season, and the Sontaran two-parter is easily the worst.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2014, 11:40:34 PM »
His early episodes were great. The EmptyChild/ The Doctor Dances, Blink, The Girl in the Fireplace, Silence in the Library, Time Crash.

He can write individual episodes, just not whole series arcs.

Doctor Who should always be individual episodes, anyway. The show isn't very conducive to story arcs.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2014, 01:39:04 AM »
Because he's a good writer with shitty attributes.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2014, 02:26:49 AM »
By the way, the earlier passage I posted was copypasta from Crudblud.  I've really only seen one or two episodes of the show.  I didn't think they were very good.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2014, 04:03:06 AM »
By the way, the earlier passage I posted was copypasta from Crudblud.  I've really only seen one or two episodes of the show.  I didn't think they were very good.

Watching Doctor Who is like drinking cheap beer or black coffee. It's awful, but you have to force yourself to do it until you trick yourself into liking it.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2014, 03:51:48 PM »

Watching Doctor Who is like drinking cheap beer or black coffee. It's awful, but you have to force yourself to do it until you trick yourself into liking it.
That's what I had to do for Tennant's doctor. I legitimately liked Smith though or maybe by that point the illusion was set. Hmmm.

Ghost of V

« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2014, 04:45:35 PM »

Doctor Who gets a lot better if you manage to condition yourself to ignore some major characters in the show and the general plot of each season. The expanded universe and headcanon also help.

« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2014, 10:12:24 PM »
http://www.sfx.co.uk/2014/07/21/exclusive-its-not-a-fairytale-steven-moffat-talks-doctor-who-series-8/

So, a bit more serious, probably a lot more domestic stuff with Clara's parents showing up every now and again shaking their heads and tutting disapprovingly.

Ghost of V

« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2014, 10:15:34 PM »
http://www.sfx.co.uk/2014/07/21/exclusive-its-not-a-fairytale-steven-moffat-talks-doctor-who-series-8/

So, a bit more serious, probably a lot more domestic stuff with Clara's parents showing up every now and again shaking their heads and tutting disapprovingly.

Just read that article.

Moffat is making it seem like this is a new idea; the whole "there are consequences for traveling with the Doctor" thing. That's hardly the case. Almost every season explores this theme, some being entirely focused on that exact thing (Eccleston/Tennat era had this in abundance).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 10:29:52 PM by Vauxhall »

« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2014, 10:22:31 PM »
Yeah, I did wonder about that. Rose, Martha and Donna's families were featured pretty extensively.

Ghost of V

« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2014, 10:40:41 PM »
Yeah, I did wonder about that. Rose, Martha and Donna's families were featured pretty extensively.

Maybe Moffat means this is the first time that he will be exploring it extensively as the showrunner. From what I have read of the leaked scripts, it seems to be the case. Clara is not very impressed with the 12th Doctor in the first episode and this will probably be touched on more in later episodes as well.

My #1 fan theory right now is that the "leaked scripts" are a hoax to hide the real direction of the show. Which is: the 12th Doctor is actually the Master. Not that I have a problem with Capaldi, but I think it would be an awesome twist.

Ghost of V

« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2014, 06:13:15 PM »
10 days, 1 hour, and 16 minutes until the premier of Doctor Who series 8!

What is everyone expecting from the new Doctor?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2014, 07:46:57 PM »
10 days, 1 hour, and 16 minutes until the premier of Doctor Who series 8!

What is everyone expecting from the new Doctor?

He'll be boring and terrible for the first few episodes then we'll think he's damn good.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2014, 07:54:22 PM »
dumb show

« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2014, 10:10:56 PM »
I'd like to see the series go in a horror direction like a lot of the Tom Baker stories. Maybe have the Daleks and the Cybermen actually win for a change to try and restore their credibility.