From what I can tell, a North Pole centered map is more common than a South pole centered one. Even the local wiki promotes it. Is there any evidence-based reason to prefer one over the other?

Re: Is there a reason to prefer one pole over the other as the center?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 04:03:22 AM »
According to Eric Dubay, some early modern sailors tried to circumnavigate Antarctica, and it took them a lot longer than it should have, so for this reason, among others, he figures Antarctica is the periphery of our plane, not the center.
He also said the south pole is a lot colder, darker and lifeless than the north pole, which would be the case if the south pole was the periphery, because the sun would be further away from it than the center.
He and other flat earthers may have other reasons, but those're the ones I'm familiar with.

Offline Tom Haws

• Not Flat, Round, Ellipsoid, or Geoid. Just Earth.
    • View Profile
    • Tom Haws Interesting Random Discoveries
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 05:05:55 AM »
From what I can tell, a North Pole centered map is more common than a South pole centered one. Even the local wiki promotes it. Is there any evidence-based reason to prefer one over the other?

Probably not as far as I understand so far. History and science are dominated by people in the north, and that's probably the real reason. Any other answer is probably just smoke.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 05:10:22 AM by Tom Haws »
Civil Engineer (professional mapper)

Thanks to Tom Bishop for his courtesy.

No flat map can predict commercial airline flight times among New York, Paris, Cape Town, & Buenos Aires.

The FAQ Sun animation does not work with sundials. And it has the equinox sun set toward Seattle (well N of NW) at my house in Mesa, AZ.

Offline Roger G

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 01:41:49 PM »
According to Eric Dubay, some early modern sailors tried to circumnavigate Antarctica, and it took them a lot longer than it should have, so for this reason, among others, he figures Antarctica is the periphery of our plane, not the center.
He also said the south pole is a lot colder, darker and lifeless than the north pole, which would be the case if the south pole was the periphery, because the sun would be further away from it than the center.
He and other flat earthers may have other reasons, but those're the ones I'm familiar with.
Eric Dubay says a lot of things, however there are no early modern sailors. Early sailors attempting to explore further afield, attempted to circumnavigate Antarctica with varied findings. However, modern sailors and ships have frequently circumnavigated Antarctica and not only produced accurate maps and charts, but also confirmed it is the same size as they expected. Antarctica has also been traversed on foot and vehicles as well as by aircraft and there are currently research facilities belonging to around 40 countries established there. There can be as may as 4000 people of all nationalities and various walks of life working there at different times of the year.

Roger

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 03:53:04 PM »
The geographic North Pole is the centre of the earth. The fabled Axis Mundi.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 03:55:51 PM by Baby Thork »
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

devils advocate

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 01:58:59 AM »
North pole has polar bears, large mammals. South pole has penguins, large birds. Which sounds less hospitable??

Offline Havonii

• Rhythm of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 07:14:12 PM »
North pole has polar bears, large mammals. South pole has penguins, large birds. Which sounds less hospitable??

Ima have to go with the birds...