Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
Re: On the notion of FES reunification
« Reply #100 on: August 03, 2014, 01:31:31 PM »
This is good news.
Anyone know how the other forum feels?

I don't think the general population over there is even aware of the situation. I created a thread in their Lounge describing the possibility of a reunification and to ask for opinions. Hopefully I don't get bing bong banny whammed for mentioning this website. I'm not sure how taboo the subject is there.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Ghost of V

« Reply #101 on: August 03, 2014, 07:44:50 PM »
I support reunification as long as we keep Tapatalk support.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 03, 2014, 09:40:54 PM »
Can you bring discussions about T-shirts and membership?
Sure.

I support reunification as long as we keep Tapatalk support.
Assuming we carry on with the idea to use this forum as the base for reunification, we wouldn't be losing anything from the technical POV.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #103 on: August 03, 2014, 09:51:54 PM »
With PP's/Parsifal's suggestions and Daniel's acceptance, reunification can only help TFES. Solidarity between the two sites can strengthen our message and purpose.

It seems to me that the other site will be accepting of the merge for all the right reasons. To those of us who do care about what TFES represents and its future, this makes good sense.  You know where to find me here and there if there is anything I can do to help.     

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2014, 04:58:25 AM »
I would suggest that PP and Parsifal keep this site open.  If nothing else, it would be a place to fall back to if the other site crashes. 

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 04, 2014, 09:28:00 AM »
I would suggest that PP and Parsifal keep this site open.  If nothing else, it would be a place to fall back to if the other site crashes.

If I'm understanding PP's post this forum will be the official one and the other forum will be merged into here.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 04, 2014, 09:47:29 AM »
If I'm understanding PP's post this forum will be the official one and the other forum will be merged into here.
That's the hope. It's not final yet.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #107 on: August 05, 2014, 01:09:37 AM »
That's the hope. It's not final yet.

Id fully back that notion.

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 06, 2014, 08:01:20 PM »
Thork will come back for me.   :-*

Thork

« Reply #109 on: August 14, 2014, 09:17:36 AM »
I love you very much, sweet Pongo, but I really don't want to go back. Daniel is a cancer.

So something a bit more positive. If the site merges (and we all know I am not keen on that), but if it merges Daniel owns the domain name. Frankly, I think we should own the forum database. We are the ones that put all the content in there in the first place. All those millions of posts were written by the society, and should belong to the society.

I think from an angle of power sharing and protection of the users, the Zetetic Council/new thing we set up, should be ultimately responsible for that database. Then should Daniel do something Danielish, we can up sticks and take our community with us with minimal disruption. The thing that hurts us most as a community is losing all our posts. Its why we left last time when Daniel deleted 3 months worth.

Daniel has his website domain, he admins have their powers to run the site. I believe the community itself or its representatives should have a stake too, and that stake should be ownership of the forum database.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 14, 2014, 09:47:41 AM »
I love you very much, sweet Pongo, but I really don't want to go back. Daniel is a cancer.

So something a bit more positive. If the site merges (and we all know I am not keen on that), but if it merges Daniel owns the domain name. Frankly, I think we should own the forum database. We are the ones that put all the content in there in the first place. All those millions of posts were written by the society, and should belong to the society.

I think from an angle of power sharing and protection of the users, the Zetetic Council/new thing we set up, should be ultimately responsible for that database. Then should Daniel do something Danielish, we can up sticks and take our community with us with minimal disruption. The thing that hurts us most as a community is losing all our posts. Its why we left last time when Daniel deleted 3 months worth.

Daniel has his website domain, he admins have their powers to run the site. I believe the community itself or its representatives should have a stake too, and that stake should be ownership of the forum database.
Is the community going to pay for the hosting too?
How will the community control the database?

Let's say the council somehow gets funding and now has their own server.  You have to give someone the keys so they can fix stuff.  What's stopping that person from taking complete control?  Nothing. 

Also, whose name would we put the server under?  And what if that person leaves?

Also, why would we want the council to have access to every PM and every password? That's just asking for abuse.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Thork

« Reply #111 on: August 14, 2014, 11:41:33 AM »

Is the community going to pay for the hosting too?
How will the community control the database?

Let's say the council somehow gets funding and now has their own server.  You have to give someone the keys so they can fix stuff.  What's stopping that person from taking complete control?  Nothing. 

Also, whose name would we put the server under?  And what if that person leaves?

Also, why would we want the council to have access to every PM and every password? That's just asking for abuse.
Calm down and come back after you have used a few minutes to think for yourself.

« Reply #112 on: August 14, 2014, 03:23:12 PM »
The joke of a council should be discontinued if there's a merger.
First point, the council doesn't do anything, let alone earned the right to have any control over any forum administration. It's just a title that was given during a popular flat earth advocate contest.
Second point is that there's a whole other website that didn't vote for the council members. You would instantly need a reelection.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 14, 2014, 03:46:43 PM »

I still don't see any valid reason why Daniel would make a bad Queen of England.

And also, Parsifal and PP are both at least as hostile toward Daniel as you are. If they think, based on their communications with him, that it'll go well I see no reason to disbelieve them. Let's be optimists here. The society is currently in a great position to go nowhere but up and I suggest we celebrate rather than worry.

The joke of a council should be discontinued if there's a merger.
First point, the council doesn't do anything, let alone earned the right to have any control over any forum administration. It's just a title that was given during a popular flat earth advocate contest.
Second point is that there's a whole other website that didn't vote for the council members. You would instantly need a reelection.

Haters gonna hate.

But seriously, I agree that there will need to eventually be a reelection.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Thork

« Reply #114 on: August 14, 2014, 04:09:48 PM »
I'm not suggesting the society do anything with the database at all. Only that it is deemed their property. Not Daniel's. Not PP's. Not Parsifal's. The content was generated by the society, it should belong to the society.

All this Lord Dave bollocks about hosting and maintenance is nonsense. The IP should belong to the society.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 14, 2014, 04:33:33 PM »
I'm not suggesting the society do anything with the database at all. Only that it is deemed their property. Not Daniel's. Not PP's. Not Parsifal's. The content was generated by the society, it should belong to the society.
When did Daniel, or anyone else, ever claim ownership of the content generated by the society?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Thork

« Reply #116 on: August 14, 2014, 04:36:26 PM »
I am suggesting it is time the society claimed ownership of it. Keep up Markjo.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 14, 2014, 04:52:45 PM »
Last I knew, Daniel was still the leader of The Flat Earth Society.  The content on his site lives on his servers.  There's an old saying that possession is 9/10 of the law.

I'm know that Parsifal and PizzaPlanet have been discussing the technical aspects of the merger with Daniel, but I have seen little discussion of the leadership of the merged society.  Perhaps the ZC should be discussing any potential leadership changes with Daniel and the other FES members before they get too far into the new constitution.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

Thork

« Reply #118 on: August 14, 2014, 04:57:40 PM »
The opinions of the council have been largely ignored. The site administration has decided it will do all the negotiation. Not one member of the council is involved in these discussions.

And yes, we could put absolutely everything on hold for 2 years whilst Daniel makes infrequent updates to the situation, or we can carry on as though we don't really care about his opinions. I'm for the latter.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 14, 2014, 05:58:27 PM »
And yes, we could put absolutely everything on hold for 2 years whilst Daniel makes infrequent updates to the situation, or we can carry on as though we don't really care about his opinions. I'm for the latter.
I could be wrong, but I'm thinking that with Parsifal and PP on the job, the process should take significantly less than 2 years.  My WAG (wild ass guess) would be closer to 2-3 months.