Why earth is flat
« on: November 02, 2015, 02:42:29 PM »
Why is earth flat?
By this I mean:
What distinct observation supports the idea that earth is flat, and remember that if the observation can be explained by something else then it can not be a valid scientific hypothese.

Some say flat earth is a theory, I say it's more of an unscientific hypothesis. If you are one of those, then you do not understand the basics of the scientific method. Please educate yourself before you answer.
Education:

However, if you can provide an observation which can only be explained by accepting earth is flat, then its a valid scientific hypothese. Next step will then be to create other hypotheses about flat earth leading towards a theory, but remember that if even one small observation that is inconsistent with our first hypothese will create problems and there will not be a flat earth theory.

Having said this I ask: Why is earth flat?

NB! Please notify if this should belong in debate or general section. I will not accept trolls or  haters attacking my grammar. If something is unclear, tell me.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 02:48:47 PM by ISeeColours »

Re: Why earth is flat
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 04:25:53 PM »
Sorry I seem to have offended you. What do you not agree on?
I know I have a way of being very direct and I think it is the only way to gain knowledge. Too many people pretend to know things and talk bullshit to diverge the topic of interest and confuse.

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 01:59:53 PM »
Just bumping

geckothegeek

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 12:07:17 AM »
First, you behave as if this website belongs to you.
Second, your assumption is that flat earth is stupid.

Your question does not deserve an answer.

Count me in as being Bumper #2.

1. First, I believe this website belongs to the flat earthers. I don't think anyone else would claim it.
2. Second, the flat earth assumption that the earth is flat is not stupid. There is another word for it. ::)

And, for a  beginning,  if you can supply an accurate flat earth map of the entire earth, I think you would have a more substantial basis as to why you believe  the earth is flat....Along with a few other bits of evidence for a substantial basis as to why you believe the earth is flat. 

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 10:50:13 AM »
Bumpety bump.
Ignored by Intikam since 2016.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 11:02:19 PM »
Bumpety bump.
Please don't necro threads if you don't have any significant contributions. There are already plenty of threads here which answer the question of "Why is the Earth flat?", together with a number of pages in our Wiki.

The OP has received advice from FE-Experiments suggesting that he should try to approach the subject from a more intellectual standpoint instead of generating an insulting thread and expecting for others to pander to him. If he's not willing to adjust, then no amount of "bumps" will convince people to lower themselves to his level. We have better things to do.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 11:05:50 PM by SexWarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 02:56:53 PM »
The earth is flat because : nobody has ever crossed Antarctica from one side to the other, the logo of the UN is of the flat earth map, as soon as Admiral Byrd discovered the wall and land in Antarctica, it was closed off to the public and is guarded by the world's military.  A decade later, the DOD created NASA to be the gatekeeper to the sky.  Since the founding of NASA, true investigation of the sky was almost impossible by amateurs.  Until the advent of affordable equipment.  The fact so many "photos" of NASA are clearly photoshopped, pasted and fake or paintings is also more evidence they are hiding the true earth from us.  Amateur rockets and weather balloons have shown a completely different universe than that of NASA.  What we can see on these untouched videos is : a flat earth edge that is eye level, and no stars and a very close sun with a spotlight below it.  Prior to the age of affordable computers and high definition cameras, such research was almost impossible.  We can see Chicago from 59 miles away on Lake Michigan, which is impossible on a globe.  The fact people in Australia can see the moon at the SAME TIME as people in America (which is supposed to be on the other side of the ball).  These basic facts are plenty of evidence for a flat earth.

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 03:01:27 PM »
Except everything you just wrote is blatantly wrong.
Ignored by Intikam since 2016.

geckothegeek

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 07:20:29 PM »
Except everything you just wrote is blatantly wrong.

That should be  quite obvious , even to the most casual observer,  if you take each of saxonburger's items  one by one. LOL.

saxonburger forgot to list NASA as the armed guards of the ice ring. LOL.

Since the founding of NASA, true investigation of the sky was almost impossible by amateurs.
Hmmmm........I saw some of those high powered telescopes (supposedly for star gazing) on sale at Walmart the other day. Why are people buying these ?  To snoop on their neighbors in the next block if they can't make an  "investigation of the sky"? It would be interesting to know if saxonburger could explain how NASA is accomplishing this ?
Good ole' NASA, scapegoat of the FES.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 07:42:07 PM by geckothegeek »

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 10:31:49 PM »
  The fact so many "photos" of NASA are clearly photoshopped, pasted and fake or paintings is also more evidence they are hiding the true earth from us.

'Fact' & 'clearly' do not go together.
Go to NASA and read. When NASA originally started to release images, most found them confusing (all those greys and whites on a 2d plane), so they announced that they were enhancing the images prior to release to make them easier for others to understand. The originals are usually available as well. They also freely admit that they are enhancing images based on math and theory. They are showing what they think it is like. Anyone is free to grab the originals and enhance them themselves and see the results.

geckothegeek

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 05:26:28 AM »
Why is earth flat?
By this I mean:
What distinct observation supports the idea that earth is flat, and remember that if the observation can be explained by something else then it can not be a valid scientific hypothese.

Some say flat earth is a theory, I say it's more of an unscientific hypothesis. If you are one of those, then you do not understand the basics of the scientific method. Please educate yourself before you answer.
Education:

However, if you can provide an observation which can only be explained by accepting earth is flat, then its a valid scientific hypothese. Next step will then be to create other hypotheses about flat earth leading towards a theory, but remember that if even one small observation that is inconsistent with our first hypothese will create problems and there will not be a flat earth theory.

Having said this I ask: Why is earth flat?

NB! Please notify if this should belong in debate or general section. I will not accept trolls or  haters attacking my grammar. If something is unclear, tell me.

What is your "direct observation"
Have you seen the ice ring and the horizon which is just an undefined blur that fades away  in the distance ?
Or have you seen an accurate and complete map of the flat earth ?

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2015, 07:56:35 AM »
Saxonberger is a great example of why you should just say no to drugs. I read that and kept waiting for the punch line, but then it seems he was serious, wow, just wow. Anyway, there seems to be a common thread that NASA and governments are faking that the world is round. What I can't find is what purpose this servers for either NASA or world governments. Round earth was proven hundreds of years ago, NASA has nothing to do with it. So, what is the motive to perpetuate the false theory that the world is round both then and now? Who gains by all this supposed cover up?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2015, 08:22:57 AM »
Anyway, there seems to be a common thread that NASA and governments are faking that the world is round.
Again: no. Please try to at least read our sources before jumping to conclusions.

The OP's confusion appears to be that he believes there is a conspiracy that specifically knows the Earth is flat but hides it from the population at large. That is not a claim serious FE'ers would make, in my humble opinion.

http://wiki.tfes.org/The_Conspiracy

Privatised space flight may yet prove to blow this idea out of the water, but so far we've seen nothing but mysterious failures, Ponzi schemes, or simple rebrands of NASA under the pretense of space flight being "privatised". Meanwhile, NASA's funding is on a constant decline.

They already know they fucked up, and that they can't keep it going on forever. They're shutting it down slowly, but steadily.

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2015, 09:14:14 PM »
I already read your wiki site and, according it, the Zetonists ( spelling?) would disagree with you. The point I was making is that round earth was proposed hundreds of years before NASA. So, let me ask this again: why was the earth generally accepted as round hundreds of years ago, if it is actually flat and the REs are pushing a fake science. Who does that serve? What's the basis for this presumption that we are being mislead to believe the earth is round for hundreds of years?

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2015, 05:16:09 PM »
Who does that serve? What's the basis for this presumption that we are being mislead to believe the earth is round for hundreds of years?

This is a huge question that begs a legitimate and plausible answer in order for the flat-earth idea to hold any water at all, yet nobody's been able to give me anything more substantial than "Control."

Nobody can demonstrate to me the profit/benefit for keeping such a secret and perpetuating such a lie- not to mention that they would be having to spend more and more time/money/effort to KEEP this secret in the face of blossoming technology that allows any dingus with a few hundred bucks to launch a high-altitude balloon and take pictures on their own. At some point, especially now- or at least very, very soon, there's a point of diminishing returns which nobody seems to be thinking about either.

The MOST credible thing I can think of is that Rand McNally is behind it all, so they can keep selling globes to school children.  :)

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2015, 07:14:34 PM »
It's a simple matter of being mistaken. As much as scientists try their best, they can't always get things right. Consider the 1990s' craze of "global cooling" - that didn't work out so well.

Zetonists ( spelling?)
Zeteticists.

geckothegeek

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2015, 06:11:18 PM »
Who does that serve? What's the basis for this presumption that we are being mislead to believe the earth is round for hundreds of years?

This is a huge question that begs a legitimate and plausible answer in order for the flat-earth idea to hold any water at all, yet nobody's been able to give me anything more substantial than "Control."

Nobody can demonstrate to me the profit/benefit for keeping such a secret and perpetuating such a lie- not to mention that they would be having to spend more and more time/money/effort to KEEP this secret in the face of blossoming technology that allows any dingus with a few hundred bucks to launch a high-altitude balloon and take pictures on their own. At some point, especially now- or at least very, very soon, there's a point of diminishing returns which nobody seems to be thinking about either.

The MOST credible thing I can think of is that Rand McNally is behind it all, so they can keep selling globes to school children.  :)

If that is true we can add Rand Mc Nally to the long list of conspirators !
And Rand Mc Nally isn't the only company making globes. Are they all in cahoots ?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 12:39:07 AM by geckothegeek »

geckothegeek

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2015, 12:24:09 AM »
What would the FES do if it wasn't for NASA being their scapegoat  ?

Speaking of holding water, I would assume the oceans would run dry if it wasn't for the ice ring ?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 12:41:11 AM by geckothegeek »

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2016, 05:28:50 PM »
Why is earth flat?
By this I mean:

Well, I look down, I see a flat Earth, I have no reason to believe it is not flat.  It is up to you to provide evidence that the Earth is not flat.  Just remember that if the observation can be explained by something else then it can not be a valid scientific hypothesis.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

geckothegeek

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 08:15:36 PM »
Why is earth flat?
By this I mean:

Well, I look down, I see a flat Earth, I have no reason to believe it is not flat.  It is up to you to provide evidence that the Earth is not flat.  Just remember that if the observation can be explained by something else then it can not be a valid scientific hypothesis.

I don't know how much experience these persons who call themselves "True Flat Earth Believers" have had or what kind of work or profession they are in. If they are only basing their belief in "What I see out my window"  then I can see why they might believe the earth was flat. If they have gone no further than this, their belief might be understandable.

But they seem to be ignoring the fact that the earth is not a flat disc but is a globe.
There is no evidence of a flat earth and multitudes of evidence that it is a globe.
They seem to have some sort of paranoia (?) or idea that all the evidence from science, especially geodesy and astronomy, navigation-both oceanic and aeronautic, and especially NASA, which seems to be the favorite scapegoat of the FES, and just about everyone on the earth except the FES are liars, and  FES have even claimed them to be Satan Worshippers and/or Satanists in their professed knowledge of the true shape of the earth.

I am not into this as deep as  the many experts who regularly post on this website but in my experience and workaday jobs I have NO reason to BELIEVE that the earth is flat and EVERY reason to KNOW that the earth is a globe.....Of course you can get into that old argument of technicality about the "Oblate Spheroid" or "The Pear Shaped Globe." LOL.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 08:30:16 PM by geckothegeek »