So my PC arrived.

4k AIO
Ryzen 1400
8gb RAM @2600Mhz
128gb ssd
1Tb hdd
8Gb rx580
Wondows 10

Disappointments ... lets get those out of the way.

1. Dell supplied the PC with 2x4Gb sticks of RAM. Dual channel doesn't make much difference for most things. I'd rather they gave me 1x8Gb and then if I wanted more RAM, I could buy a single 8gb stick and add it. Now if I want 16gb I have to buy a full 16gb. So Thork you very much for that Dell.
2. ... no, I'm all out.

Bonuses

1. It arrived with no crapware on it. I don't know if it had its brains scrabbled when they refurbished it, but no McAfee, no stupid games, nothing that wants to ring Dell and report my data ... just wondows.
2. It is in mint condition. Not a scratch, a smudge, no fingerprints on the screen. It is new. I worried being refurbished what that might mean as to the prior owner, but it looks like they just sent the box back without even opening it. It could just be Dell wanting to shift a bit of stock. I've no idea but its brand new and I saved almost 50% on it. Well worth the risk in this case.
3. Came with a sturdy little mouse that has a mouse wheel. I am not going to use it, but knowing I have one and Parsifal would like one can be chalked up as a little bonus.

Surprises

1. The 4k screen is epic. I know I only bought a PC because I wanted a 4k screen, but now I have one ... even on this site the text is so crisp, the logo is sharp ... and I can see where I came from because the smileys are like little smudges at this point. Its like I popped on some glasses and now everything is so smooth. I thought I may have scaling issues but haven't encountered any so far ... I think the world is now ready for 4k where as 3 years ago 4k would have been a ball ache.
2. Holy crap that rx580 is a beast. So much more graphics card than I wanted, but really nice to have. Forza 7 runs really well and I'm just downloading the Witcher 3. Yes, its an older game but I haven't played many games in the last 10 years. Pretty much all games are new to me. It doesn't seem cut down in any way. Comparing benchmarks on things like Heaven 4.0 it runs exactly as you'd expect any other stock rx580 to run ... so I'm guessing it just pulls as much power as it wants.
3. Quieter than I anticipated. I thought I would take a hit in the sound department, but during everyday work its like having a baby rabbit sleeping on the desk. Playing games is a different story. It really ramps up but isn't so loud as to ruin the sound of the game. The machine deals with the heat really well and the fan stops pumping so hard the instant you take the load off the machine and the back is still cool to the touch. The CPU and GPU temps stay as cool as any desktop I've seen those parts in.
4. I was thinking of getting an NVMe drive for the boot drive because I had one in my last PC. To be honest the ssd in this although slower isn't really noticeable in general use. Everything boots instantly. I'm not even going to bother.

I had the wasted half day of loading MS office, getting my mail accounts on it, putting all my favourite software on there, putting all the settings how I like them, doing all the updates, adding my NAS drive etc ... but now its all done this is by far the best computer I have ever owned by some distance. I didn't really need a new computer and thought I'd be tinged with buyers remorse, but for £719 I think I got an absolute steal.

Oh, and I picked a name. She is called Adele ... because that's what she is.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 07:19:53 PM by Baby Thork »
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Re: Muh heatpipes
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 07:27:47 PM »
My computers better.

/thread
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 07:39:32 PM »
Whilst I am waiting ... 3 and a half hours to download The Witcher 3! What the hell are Steam doing? They are only letting me pull data at 3.7MB/s.

I had no idea bigger games took so long to download.

I also have no idea what the game is about. People seem to rave about it, but whenever I've seen any footage of it, its always a guy with long white hair just riding about on a horse. Like all the time. Clip clop, clip clop. I'm guessing it is not a game for girls that want ponies, but having no idea will make it more interesting I'm sure.

Oh, and hairworks will be coming off ... AMD and all that.

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 07:51:47 PM »
3.7MB/s.
My internet is better too.

Franklin:2 Thork:0
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 08:56:38 PM »
3. Came with a sturdy little mouse that has a mouse wheel. I am not going to use it, but knowing I have one and Parsifal would like one can be chalked up as a little bonus.

I don't know which is worse, the fact that you think a mouse having a scrollwheel in 2018 is notable or the fact that you don't use a scrollwheel in 2018. Do you still just drag scrollbars around?
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Devils Advocate

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 08:57:28 PM »
I have a computer, it is black.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 10:18:15 PM »
Mine is black with lights.

So hardcore.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Devils Advocate

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 10:27:35 PM »

So hardcore.
Check you out with your tech!

Devils Advocate

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 10:29:13 PM »
Oooh shit mine has lights too! The green one means the battery has had dinner, the red one is no-play time :-(

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 11:01:34 PM »

Rama Set

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 11:02:28 PM »

So hardcore.

Black lights matter.

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2018, 12:36:30 PM »
Well I played The Witcher 3 for a bit.

I have no idea what I'm doing. It seems most of the other people in the game don't like me, but that isn't surprising as I go into their homes and steal things and wander about aimlessly picking up weeds.

At the rate I'm progressing looking at my current level (4) and that I can see weapons that need me to be at least level 40 something, this game is going to take me at least 5 years to finish, so I don't need to buy any other games.

It reminds me a little bit of Fable, which I played many years ago. Only this seems so much bigger - read unfinishable. The graphics are beyond what I was expecting though. When it rains, my clothes look wet. When its windy, it feels windy. Games have come a long way.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2018, 06:55:12 PM »
Well I played The Witcher 3 for a bit.

I have no idea what I'm doing. It seems most of the other people in the game don't like me, but that isn't surprising as I go into their homes and steal things and wander about aimlessly picking up weeds.

At the rate I'm progressing looking at my current level (4) and that I can see weapons that need me to be at least level 40 something, this game is going to take me at least 5 years to finish, so I don't need to buy any other games.

It reminds me a little bit of Fable, which I played many years ago. Only this seems so much bigger - read unfinishable. The graphics are beyond what I was expecting though. When it rains, my clothes look wet. When its windy, it feels windy. Games have come a long way.

The Witcher 3 is pretty exceptional compared to most games though.