Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
AMD's new 7nm Ryzen 3000 - thoughts?
« on: June 15, 2019, 07:09:53 AM »
Not out until July 7 but it sounds dreamy.
https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-ryzen-3000-release-date-price-specs/

What do you all think?
I'm planning an upgrade around summer/fall so tempted to get one.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
Re: AMD's new 7nm Ryzen 3000 - thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 01:13:24 AM »
The Ryzen 9 3950X is an absolute unit. It's too bad it will probably be demolished by Intel's top binned CPU later this year, as is usually the case.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 06:31:57 PM »
Well the reviews are in.

From what I can tell, both the new video cards and processors give more bang for your buck than Intel or NVidia, but both still hold the lead in terms of power and tech.  (Ray tracing support on NVidia being a big one)

Still gonna go for the Ryzen 3700X with the  MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, S-AM4 motherboard, and the Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz 16GB.

Probably around Sept. or Oct.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 07:06:47 PM »
It isn't time for me yet. I had my current PC just over a year. I like 3 years out of a PC.

But in 18 months time, I'm guessing a Ryzen 3600 and a Radeon 5700 (or maybe 5700XT if I'm feeling flush) will be nice and cheap and could well be on my shopping list and would be a nice step up from my Ryzen 1400 and RX580.

My next PC needs to coincide with a new monitor and I want a really wide one. Something like ...

And then that would warrant the increase in GPU performance to run the 3440 x 1440 screen for gaming. But ultra wide's need to come down in price. I'm waiting for the next perfect storm.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 07:12:33 PM by Baby Thork »
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 07:02:42 PM »
So... Sept. and Oct. didn't happen.  But April did.  And I went with the 3600 18CL for that sweet infinity fabric synch.

I even got me a 500GB NVME dive. Took some effort to get things running.  Sata 1 did not like my old HDD so had to move that to get it to boot.  And had to change a few settings in bios when I got my NVME drive cloned but all in all, a big improvement.

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 09:49:44 PM »
Sounds good. Your timing is only a little off. Prices were about 10% lower two months ago, but this coronavirus nonsense has sent prices back up. But based on the historical average, prices are good.

What nvme drive did you get? I just have a QLC drive (crucial P1 1tb) but its fast enough.
Also how much Ram? 16Gb?

Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 10:35:37 PM »
Sounds good. Your timing is only a little off. Prices were about 10% lower two months ago, but this coronavirus nonsense has sent prices back up. But based on the historical average, prices are good.

What nvme drive did you get? I just have a QLC drive (crucial P1 1tb) but its fast enough.
Also how much Ram? 16Gb?

https://www.pny.com/CS3030-M-2-NVMe-SSD?sku=M280CS3030-250-RB&CURRENT_NAV_ID=b83c9ac0-e251-454c-b078-3bbd37ce1ff5

That one.  500GB cause it was cheap.
And yes, 16gb of ram.  Don't need more yet but I got two slots empty.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 07:16:20 AM »
Encoding a 4.2 GB DVD image from MVK to Mp4 used to take 2-3 hours.  Now it took 3 minutes.  God damn, I love this processor.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2020, 02:59:30 PM »
Encoding a 4.2 GB DVD image from MVK to Mp4 used to take 2-3 hours.  Now it took 3 minutes.  God damn, I love this processor.

That doesn't make any sense. Matroska is not a codec, it is a container format that encapsulates other codecs. MPEG-4 is a set of related standards, of which one is a container format and one is the video codec H.264.

If you have a Matroska file which contains H.264 video, then there is no video transcoding involved in converting it to MPEG-4, only copying it into a new container. I suspect this is responsible for the enormous difference you see.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2020, 09:17:47 PM »

That doesn't make any sense. Matroska is not a codec, it is a container format that encapsulates other codecs. MPEG-4 is a set of related standards, of which one is a container format and one is the video codec H.264.

If you have a Matroska file which contains H.264 video, then there is no video transcoding involved in converting it to MPEG-4, only copying it into a new container. I suspect this is responsible for the enormous difference you see.

Fair, but it does change the resolution somewhat.  Blurays take a while longer.