Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
I Bought a Sony Xperia X
« on: March 08, 2017, 03:44:29 PM »
After my smartphone debacle of last year, I ended up on my old phone. In the market for a new phone again as I have a legitimate need this time around. I ended up buying a Sony Xperia X. It is currently a mid-range Android phone that was released last year. Got it for $269, should be here on Tuesday. I didn't get it for Android, however. From my previous thread:

Don't go Android. If "the software is shit" is your reason for not using Apple, Android will only disappoint you.

This looks interesting: https://jolla.com/jolla

I haven't used one and only first heard about it yesterday, so I can't personally vouch for it. But it looks interesting. Seems to be all out of stock at the moment, and only ships to European countries when it's not, but you could probably get a European FESer to forward it on.

The Jolla has been out of stock for months. I wanted to buy one a long time ago, but unless you got in early, seems there was no chance. The Sailfish OS looked interesting and had me excited until I realized I can't buy one.

Well, last week at MWC, Jolla and Sony announced that SailfishOS would be coming to Xperia devices:
http://www.pcmag.com/news/352053/hands-on-jollas-sailfish-os-on-a-sony-xperia-x

Looks like the Xperia X will be the first phone to get SailfishOS, which I have been very interested in trying. The final release of SailfishOS for the Xperia X won't be out for a couple of months, so I can get by with Android for now if needed. Either I like it and get a decent phone at a decent price, or I don't like it and go back to Apple when the iPhone X comes out. I'll post some thoughts on it before and after SailfishOS.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Re: I Bought a Sony Xperia X
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 01:36:30 PM »
Very tempted now that I have no need of the dual SIM feature in my OnePlus 2.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
I Bought a Sony Xperia X
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 03:01:28 PM »
Very tempted now that I have no need of the dual SIM feature in my OnePlus 2.

Do it!

It's a great phone so far, especially for the price and the opportunity to run sailfishOS.

Do make sure you read up before unlocking the bootloader if you plan to do that. There's a partition with DRM keys (I know, terrible...) that needs to be backed up if you ever want to re-lock the bootloader and have the stock rom work properly. Sony provides the unlock, so I'm not sure why they have it setup this way. Especially since they seem to want to cater to the tinkering crowd, as they provide an app to flash other ROMs as well as a standard recovery app. If you get the phone, don't get the American version, or if you do, flash the U.K. stock ROM (bootloader unlock not required). This allows you to use the fingerprint sensor (disabled in the American version due to patent conflict) and you can install the Concept app from Sony which lets you get the most recent builds from their dev team. I think the only phone with slightly newer stuff is the Nexus/Pixel phones. But I'm on 7.1.1 right now and it works really well.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 03:11:45 PM by junker »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 05:17:28 PM »
So I am using my Xperia X as my daily driver now. Have been for about a week. After last year's saga of trying both an HTC 10 and an iPhone 7, I ended up back on my iPhone 6. My iPhone 6's Lightning port began to fail over the last couple months to where I had to fiddle with the adapter to get it to a spot to where it would charge (and would stop charging if moved even slightly). It also can no longer make a data connection, so I can't transfer pictures or do local backups.

I've got Android 7.1.2 from Sony's Concept program running nicely (with the UK version so the fingerprint scanner works properly). However, when I initially unlocked my phone back when I got it, I was unaware about the DRM key situation I described in the previous post. Long story short is that the camera on my Xperia is borked. There is a workaround which involves going back to a custom ROM, which I will eventually do so I can regain full functionality.

Unfortunately, the Concept program for the Xperia X has now ended, so 7.1.2 will be the last release this phone gets. Hopefully SailfishOS is released soon, so I can actually use this phone the way I envisioned when I bought it. It was slated for late Q2, so there is still some time to meet that deadline, although I won't be surprised if it is delayed.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 05:20:01 PM by junker »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 09:25:55 PM »
So I am using my Xperia X as my daily driver now. Have been for about a week. After last year's saga of trying both an HTC 10 and an iPhone 7, I ended up back on my iPhone 6. My iPhone 6's Lightning port began to fail over the last couple months to where I had to fiddle with the adapter to get it to a spot to where it would charge (and would stop charging if moved even slightly). It also can no longer make a data connection, so I can't transfer pictures or do local backups.

I've got Android 7.1.2 from Sony's Concept program running nicely (with the UK version so the fingerprint scanner works properly). However, when I initially unlocked my phone back when I got it, I was unaware about the DRM key situation I described in the previous post. Long story short is that the camera on my Xperia is borked. There is a workaround which involves going back to a custom ROM, which I will eventually do so I can regain full functionality.

Unfortunately, the Concept program for the Xperia X has now ended, so 7.1.2 will be the last release this phone gets. Hopefully SailfishOS is released soon, so I can actually use this phone the way I envisioned when I bought it. It was slated for late Q2, so there is still some time to meet that deadline, although I won't be surprised if it is delayed.
curious question but I had the same problem.

Have you tried clearing out dust and lint?
I used a sewing needle on my HTC's usb and 3.5mm jack ports and now they both work like a charm.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 09:32:30 PM »

I used a sewing needle on my HTC's usb and 3.5mm jack ports and now they both work like a charm.

Yes, multiple times. Tried different cables as well. The cable no longer seats securely in the Lightning port, so there isn't much to be done. I could get it to make proper contact with the charging pins, but not for the data pins. It is fine, I was looking for a reason to force myself off of the iPhone anyway. Have been for over six months now.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 04:08:41 AM »

Yes, multiple times. Tried different cables as well. The cable no longer seats securely in the Lightning port, so there isn't much to be done. I could get it to make proper contact with the charging pins, but not for the data pins. It is fine, I was looking for a reason to force myself off of the iPhone anyway. Have been for over six months now.

So I ended up fixing my iPhone 6. SU cracked her screen, and we were looking at new phones but she decided she liked her iPhone. I decided to just fix it so I ordered a new full display assembly for her phone and the lightning port/headphone assembly for mine since it was only $20 on iFixit. SU's screen only took 15 min, but it took me over an hour to finish mine. But the end result is a fully functioning iPhone 6. I think I am going to order a couple spare batteries and we will have some like-new phones.

Still going to rock my Xperia X for now. Sucks that it won't get much for updates going forward, but I will just root it soon and install a custom ROM. Hopefully SailfishOS is released for it soon.

Having said all that, I think I will buy a new flagship once the next iPhone is released as well as the next Pixel. I am leaning towards one of the Snapdragon 835 phones. The LG G6, HTC U11, and the OnePlus 5 all look pretty nice.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 02:38:48 PM »
Hopefully SailfishOS is released soon, so I can actually use this phone the way I envisioned when I bought it. It was slated for late Q2, so there is still some time to meet that deadline, although I won't be surprised if it is delayed.

Seems the SailfishOS release is running a bit behind schedule for the Xperia X, but nothing too terrible. It is going into beta testing this month, so hopefully a general release follows in the not-too-distant future.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 06:43:02 PM »
Hopefully SailfishOS is released soon, so I can actually use this phone the way I envisioned when I bought it. It was slated for late Q2, so there is still some time to meet that deadline, although I won't be surprised if it is delayed.

Seems the SailfishOS release is running a bit behind schedule for the Xperia X, but nothing too terrible. It is going into beta testing this month, so hopefully a general release follows in the not-too-distant future.

So SailfishOS is supposed to be released in October for the Xperia X. Looks like they are going with a subscription model. $60 for the software which includes a year of support.  I don't mind the model, but it seems like the time they spent in beta testing didn't accomplish much as the OS will be delivered without working Bluetooth and fingerprint functionality (along with other missing features). Pretty disappointed in the first release and I don't want to get scam shitizen'd again so I guess I will hold out.

Using my Xperia with UK ROM and no working camera again (thx DRM keys) because SU can't stop shattering iPhone 6 screens. Maybe it is time for another 'junker gets a new phone thread' for 2017.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 07:07:45 PM »
So SailfishOS is supposed to be released in October for the Xperia X. Looks like they are going with a subscription model. $60 for the software which includes a year of support.  I don't mind the model, but it seems like the time they spent in beta testing didn't accomplish much as the OS will be delivered without working Bluetooth and fingerprint functionality (along with other missing features). Pretty disappointed in the first release and I don't want to get scam shitizen'd again so I guess I will hold out.

I told you postmarketOS was the future. I warned you bro.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 07:20:16 PM »
I told you postmarketOS was the future. I warned you bro.

Hmm I don't see any messages from you in 2009 about postmarketOS being the future... (or do they have newer phones almost functioning now?)

We just got out of 2016, stop trying to send me nearly a decade into the past...

Hmmm

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 04:33:21 PM »
My iPhone 6's Lightning port began to fail over the last couple months to where I had to fiddle with the adapter to get it to a spot to where it would charge (and would stop charging if moved even slightly). It also can no longer make a data connection, so I can't transfer pictures or do local backups.
Quote from: junker
Quote from: junker
SU's screen only took 15 min, but it took me over an hour to finish mine. But the end result is a fully functioning iPhone 6. I think I am going to order a couple spare batteries and we will have some like-new phones.
junker, hi.
It will sound stupid, "retarded", idiotic, ridiculous and weird    ::), but what if you broke/disabled your iPhone's Lightning port subconsciously and intentionally: what if the port was broken solely because of your wishes?
Why am i saying that?
Because i've had myself experienced, many times, how my devices are starting to lag and give me OS, software errors, whenever i have bad mood or i want to sleep. They're still doing it to this day. And i've observed this universal behavior on almost every device i use, if not on all.
But whenever i visualize something happening in my mind with very vivid details, for instance, webpage loading faster, wifi signal becoming better, device becoming much responsive or any action being cancelled, my device/router actually "listens" to my wishes. I'm not joking about this!

Another example.
I have an external USB keyboard with seemingly broken cable. Whenever i plug it into my pc, it completely doesn't work, or only gives me "Unknown device" errors. It's not even working when i feel enthusiastic and have amazing mood - so the keyboard' cable is actually broken physically.
But when i clear my mind(stop the thinking flow/the single thinking voice in my head) for 30-70 seconds, concentrate on the keyboard and pc, and vividly visualize in my mind how a big stream of dark purple-blue '1's and '0's is flowing through the cable, in two directions: from the keyboard and into pc; from the pc and into keyboard, the keyboard starts to work, and i see the green flashing light, when i press the "Caps Lock" key.

And that's only things happening with electronics i use! I've had also experienced weather-related, social-related "coincidences"!
I actually experiment with busting, moving the clouds in a sunny weather almost every day, whenever they hide the sun.
I do it, because i personally wanna feel more warmth from the sun... Also i REALLY like seeing that dark-orange, golden color on asphalt, when the sun is setting!! So i do almost the same as with my computer devices:
* i shortly clear my mind by stopping thinking and by listening to the sounds of outside world, i focus on the clouds, sky, sun, air;
* and then i visualize, with smallest details, that i'm a part of the sky, and the sky is a part of me, and how the clouds are going away from the sun, and a round hole of clear blue sky is appearing;
* simultaneously i imagine that i feel sun's warmth and see how everything around is lit by sunlight.

It simply works for some reasons(i know exactly why ;))! It just can't be another coincidence!

Try experimenting with it too, i recommend! Or try making a rainy weather, or whatever weather you wanna!

You also might become interested in practicing technopathy/technokinesis/cyberkinesis//psychokinesis, if you wanna check on new ways of doings computer things easier.

Some people make "subliminal affirmation" videos, audios to make it easier in developing their mind abilities.
These audios are simply giving you an affirmation, that you are able to overcome your own blockages. They overlay (Text-to-Speech) human (sped up) voices that say certain prerecorded text in one audio file. These voices are passing through your consciousness, and your subconscious mind gathers and analyzes them. But the "subliminals" work only, if you accept them, and only after 3 weeks, a month of daily listening to it.
Beware that it could be dangerous, if there is a malicious text in these affirmations.

a comment by "Subliminal Watcher" youtuber:
"most of the time i just think about it and it happen other times i imagine the device connecting with my brain and my brains aura or energy engulfing the device and it becoming part of me"

« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 12:22:08 AM by Hmmm »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 05:16:41 PM »
Well, I replaced the Lightning port assembly for like $15 and haven't had any issues since.

I do drink too much, though, so I am sure anything is possible.

Hmmm

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 03:10:47 PM »
junker, so have you tried using your mind to control your electronics yet?

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 03:12:14 PM »
I have not. I actually hate electronics.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 05:02:28 PM »
However, when I initially unlocked my phone back when I got it, I was unaware about the DRM key situation I described in the previous post. Long story short is that the camera on my Xperia is borked. There is a workaround which involves going back to a custom ROM, which I will eventually do so I can regain full functionality.

I finally ended up applying the kernel fix since I was tired of not having a working camera. Test drove a couple custom ROMs, but settled on the same Sony Concept ROM for Android 7.1.2 that I had before (just rooted this time, with the DRM fix). So far, so good. Going to fix my iPhone 6 again and continue on with my previous plan of getting SailfishOS for my Xperia X when becomes available in the US.

May still end up buying something new after the Pixel event, but at least I am not in dire need at the moment.

Offline DSC

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2018, 12:00:46 AM »
I was given an Xperia X last year by a client and found it was the best performing and styled phone ive ever seen. Two weeks later i dropped it and the screen went blank. Sony would not offer warranty or repair as i had no receipt. Sucks.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2020, 12:57:36 AM »
Over 3 years later, SailfishOS is now installed on my Sony Xperia X...

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2020, 08:53:54 AM »
Was it worth it?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2020, 12:51:22 PM »
Was it worth it?

No, I put LineageOS on the phone instead.