Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
AMD/Samsung
« on: March 26, 2015, 03:32:12 AM »
As I've been a long time owner of glorious AMD stock (which has done nothing but become worth less and less and given not even a cent in dividends). What I do get, though, is some neato news from time to time about what AMD is doing internally. Other than having a consistent net profit of -$364 million per quarter, there isn't much of note, until today.

Samsung has always been interested in buying out AMD. For the most part the move made little sense and Samsung sort of dabbled in the idea of buying them out repeatedly over the last decade only to fizzle out every time. Now, it is a bit different. With companies like Intel trying to expand into their market, Samsung now seems pretty interested in fighting back and expanding into theirs. So, as of now, Samsung is in talks with AMD over an acquisition once again, and all things considered, it will probably work this time.

Also, I got to vote on new directors for the company. I doubt my vote had any sway, though. I'd have to own millions in stock to have any real impact.

Re: AMD/Samsung
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 04:41:53 AM »
Why is AMD doing so badly?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 05:18:53 AM »
Why is AMD doing so badly?

Mostly because of some really sketchy anti-competitive bullshit that both Nvidia and Intel have been doing the past decade.

Nvidia makes tons more software applications than AMD and all of those software applications are closed source and do not run at all on AMD cards. This results in people thinking "AMD graphics cards suck" when really Nvidia has just ensured their exclusive software and driver optimizations make it into most mainstream games, all the while anything AMD makes on the software side is completely open, which is why it works fine on pretty much all computers (and even Linux).

Intel, unlike other semiconductor companies, doesn't use another company to manufacture their chips, they own all of their own foundries. This means they own the process which makes those chips, which coincidentally means they patented the everliving shit out of everything (did you also know they own x86? yeah...) Also, back when AMD was kicking their ass they did some shady deals with HP and Dell to ensure an AMD processor never went into any of their computers which murdered their business. I've never seen AMD do any of this shady bullshit, which unfortunately means they've been on a losing side for a while. Obviously the system rewards you for being a shady jackass versus an honest attempt to improve the hardware.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 08:43:33 AM »
Well fuck.  At this rate we'll have only 2 electronics companies by 2025.

But if it keeps AMD alive, well, I can't argue with it too much.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Thork

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 12:38:05 PM »
Oil up 6% last night. My derivitives made me £700 whilst I was asleep. Saudi Bombed Yemen rebels and sent the price rocketing.

AMD is not good stock. Drop it. The entire NASDAQ is set for a fall and AMD will go with it. Thork's top tip (not that you will listen) ... short the living hell out of the S&P 500 or the NASDAQ. That's my next move when I'm done with oil. Commodities are in, stocks out.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 12:40:22 PM »
all the while anything AMD makes on the software side is completely open, which is why it works fine on pretty much all computers (and even Linux).

You make that sound unusual. Most hardware, provided there is documentation for it so that drivers can be written, is well supported by Linux (and other Unix-likes). When hardware doesn't work well under Linux (NVIDIA graphics cards, for example), it's inevitably a consequence of the hardware manufacturer not playing ball, rather than the Linux developers.

This is why NVIDIA is a universally terrible choice of graphics card manufacturer, if you plan to ever use it with an OS that isn't Windows.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 01:57:47 PM »
You make that sound unusual. Most hardware, provided there is documentation for it so that drivers can be written, is well supported by Linux (and other Unix-likes). When hardware doesn't work well under Linux (NVIDIA graphics cards, for example), it's inevitably a consequence of the hardware manufacturer not playing ball, rather than the Linux developers.

This is why NVIDIA is a universally terrible choice of graphics card manufacturer, if you plan to ever use it with an OS that isn't Windows.

Well considering there exists only Nvidia and AMD, Nvidia having a larger market than AMD. Most hardware is Nvidia, therefore most doesn't work with Linux. Yes, it can be considered unusual for graphics hardware to work with Linux. None of that wasn't in my post at all.  Basically you just brought up a nonexistent point and ended up wrong about it anyway.

Oil up 6% last night. My derivitives made me £700 whilst I was asleep. Saudi Bombed Yemen rebels and sent the price rocketing.

AMD is not good stock. Drop it. The entire NASDAQ is set for a fall and AMD will go with it. Thork's top tip (not that you will listen) ... short the living hell out of the S&P 500 or the NASDAQ. That's my next move when I'm done with oil. Commodities are in, stocks out.

lol
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 02:01:56 PM by Irushwithscvs »

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 07:33:01 PM »
I used to work at an electronics store and every computer retard who came in said AMD sucks. They didn't know why, but "that's just what they heard". Intel's marketing department is doing their job well.

Ghost of V

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 07:41:53 PM »
I like AMD, but I feel like a partnership with Samsung is a bad idea. I've had a lot of experience with Samsung phones, and they're all crap. The batteries go, they come with more bloatware than is normal for a phone, and several simply turn off whenever they want. I don't know if their other products are any better, but I certainly don't have anything good to say about their smartphones.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 08:42:28 PM »
I used to work at an electronics store and every computer retard who came in said AMD sucks. They didn't know why, but "that's just what they heard". Intel's marketing department is doing their job well.

It's just a shame that what makes AMD great is also what is devastating their business. Once Samsung buys them out I'm sure even more shadiness will happen and Intel and Samsung can have hardware limitation battles to figure out who can lock each other out of the market faster. Worse case scenario Intel bites the bullet hard and pulls AMDs x86 licensing permanently (which would, hilariously enough, also pull Intel's AMD64 license).

We could be looking at the greatest competition the market has seen in a while or the worst consumer market in history.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 09:27:58 PM »
Well considering there exists only Nvidia and AMD...
And Intel, of course.  But you don't hear much about them because their GPUs are generally integrated into their chip sets or CPUs.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 10:44:39 PM »
And Intel, of course.  But you don't hear much about them because their GPUs are generally integrated into their chip sets or CPUs.

Who mentioned GPUs?

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 11:03:57 PM »
Well considering there exists only Nvidia and AMD, Nvidia having a larger market than AMD. Most hardware is Nvidia, therefore most doesn't work with Linux. Yes, it can be considered unusual for graphics hardware to work with Linux. None of that wasn't in my post at all.  Basically you just brought up a nonexistent point and ended up wrong about it anyway.

Sure, if you twist what I said into what you wanted me to say, it sounds like I was pretty well off the mark. What I actually said was that most hardware (not specifically graphics hardware) is well supported by Linux.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 11:09:33 PM »
Ah yes, ye olde "ignore thread context" troll. Yes, Parsifal, if we pretend your post was a magical post island, you'd be right, but suddenly talking about all hardware when the post you responded to specifically referenced Nvidia is nonsense.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 07:53:32 AM »
That doesn't make what he said wrong.
The Mastery.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 03:21:07 PM »
That doesn't make what he said wrong.

He is wrong because he was talking about graphics hardware, then in order to be correct, decided he didn't want to do that anymore.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2015, 06:04:14 PM »

Who mentioned GPUs?
You did, when you brought up graphics hardware.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2015, 07:41:59 PM »

??? A simple browser find command shows the first instance of "GPU" in this thread residing in your post. You're getting bad at this, Markjo.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2015, 11:57:49 PM »

??? A simple browser find command shows the first instance of "GPU" in this thread residing in your post. You're getting bad at this, Markjo.
Are you saying that GPUs are not graphics hardware?  ???

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2015, 02:40:04 AM »
Are you saying that GPUs are not graphics hardware?  ???

You're getting bad at this, Markjo.